JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I just heard from an ATF agent that retail sales of firearms are prohibited by law, in Portland.
If an FFL in Portland has his business at his residence and buys a firearm, he must transfer it through a storefront FFL.

I just heard from an ATF agent that retail sales of firearms are prohibited by law, in Portland.
If an FFL in Portland has his business at his residence and buys a firearm, he must transfer it through a storefront FFL.

Yes, he is absolutely correct. The ATF requires that FFL license holders obey all state and local laws, in order to keep their license. Failure to do so can put them at risk of losing their license.

The city of Portland's zoning ordinances make it illegal to operate any retail business in a single family residence. So no type of retail operation, gun sales or otherwise, can be legally conducted from a home in Portland.

So yes, such sales are indeed prohibited by law, and a violation of the terms of a FFL's license.

Here is info from the ATF, where it makes it clear to FFL holders that they must also obey all state and local laws in order to keep their license:

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/qa/doe...censees-comply-state-laws-and-local-published

Which means there most likely aren't any FFL's working out of their homes in Portland.

And I can't find a single retail FFL in Portland Oregon. SO legal or not you can't buy a firearm in Portland.

All the gun shops I know of or can find listed on line around Portland are in another city proper.

Which means there most likely aren't any FFL's working out of their homes in Portland.

And I can't find a single retail FFL in Portland Oregon. SO legal or not you can't buy a firearm in Portland.

All the gun shops I know of or can find listed on line around Portland are in another city proper.

With all the anti-gun mentality that exists in Portland, one really cannot blame FFL's not setting up shop there.

The Gun Room is in Portland. Not that anyone I know would buy from there, but it's still in Portland.
Also, Bi Mart sells guns in their retail stores.

Who ever is spreading this is wrong.
A FFL has authority to do business anywhere in the state they choose.
No city can say otherwise.

This was brought up to us buy our guy @ ATF when the city of Rainier bubblegumed with us.
I gave it to the Mayors clerk and told them if they bugged us again it would be our lawyer who responded.

That was 3+ years ago now.

Send this to your buddy and tell him to give a copy to the city to wipe there Arse's with.

Nathan

Last edited by a moderator:
Who ever is spreading this is wrong.
A FFL has authority to do business anywhere in the state they choose.
No city can say otherwise.

This was brought up to us buy our guy @ ATF when the city of Rainier bubblegumed with us.
I gave it to the Mayors clerk and told them if they bugged us again it would be our lawyer who responded.

That was 3+ years ago now.

Rainier is not Portland. Different laws.

Send this to your buddy and tell him to give a copy to the city to wipe there Arse's with.

Nathan

Last edited by a moderator:
City of Portland Home Occupation Permit does allow up to 8 people a day, to visit a residential business place, under a Type B Home Occupation Permit.

Retail is the term that BATF use, to refer to sales of firearms.

Retail has no affect on the law.

Except as expressly authorized by state statute, no county, city or other municipal corporation or district may enact civil or criminal ordinances, including but not limited to zoning ordinances, to regulate, restrict or prohibit the sale, acquisition, transfer, ownership, possession, storage, transportation or use of firearms or any element relating to firearms and components thereof, including ammunition. Ordinances that are contrary to this subsection are void. [1995 s.s. c.1 §1]

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top