JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
From 1967 to 1972 there was a commission that was tasked to review the Oregon Criminal Code and provide a new proposal to the Oregon Legislature.

One area of major contention was Gun Control. If you review the taped minutes (they have been transcribed) you would be appalled at the attitude that Portland and Multnomah County Commissioners were taking towards gun control.

You bring up a valuable point. I doubt many of us here now even remember those days, or how much momentum they had harnessed. One of the main ramrods in the Portland gun control movement back then was a commisioner by the name of Gretchen Kafoury who was aided by the tassid support of the Multnomah County Sherrif of that era. If the name sounds vaguely familiar it's probably due to good old Greggy Kafoury, a leftist Portland attorney who shows up on radar every now and then with his latest "cause".

That blight was never really totally knocked out, it just went dormant for many years. Many will probably remember a more recent "flareup" when the very arrogant Commisioner Bauman tried to push through his "Assault Weapon" measure. This in turn actually generated an unsucessful recall attempt (sound familiar ?). I believe that recall effort did have the positive effect of putting the "city fathers" on notice that they were playing with fire, back then.

I wonder if enough time has passed that those days have been forgotten by our current batch of miscreants. Could it be that Adams has been imbolded by his recent survival of a recall or a calculation that the Portland demographics have now shifted far enough to the left to allow for such mischief ?

You bring up a valuable point. I doubt many of us here now even remember those days, or how much momentum they had harnessed. One of the main ramrods in the Portland gun control movement back then was a commisioner by the name of Gretchen Kafoury who was aided by the tassid support of the Multnomah County Sherrif of that era. If the name sounds vaguely familiar it's probably due to good old Greggy Kafoury, a leftist Portland attorney who shows up on radar every now and then with his latest "cause".

That blight was never really totally knocked out, it just went dormant for many years. Many will probably remember a more recent "flareup" when the very arrogant Commisioner Bauman tried to push through his "Assault Weapon" measure. This in turn actually generated an unsucessful recall attempt (sound familiar ?). I believe that recall effort did have the positive effect of putting the "city fathers" on notice that they were playing with fire, back then.

I wonder if enough time has passed that those days have been forgotten by our current batch of miscreants. Could it be that Adams has been imbolded by his recent survival of a recall or a calculation that the Portland demographics have now shifted far enough to the left to allow for such mischief ?

Portland is so far left now that I wouldn't doubt if there was support for strict gun control. Unfortunately, as we have seen, Portland pretty much controls the state. I have wondered how long we had until strict gun control was shoved down our throats at the state level since we have turned into Northern California.

How can "common sense gun laws" come from people without common sense? These people don't know anything about guns, they are just hopping on Blumebergs bandwagon.

How can "common sense gun laws" come from people without common sense? These people don't know anything about guns, they are just hopping on Blumebergs bandwagon.

All this talk of "common-sense" has inspired a short rant.

It has nothing to do with having common-sense. It is used as a divisive phrase to make people that oppose their agenda seem to lacking common-sense and are the fringes of society. Then when they are opposed and defeated they will blame the "powerful gun lobby" and its "extremist agenda". I would like to start referring to these groups who hate firearms ownership with some appropriate phrases. How about the "powerful anti-rights lobby"?

Wait until everyone sees my "common-sense" laws on religion, abortion, marriage, immigration, and interstate travel. The goal of each is to severely encumber each with draconian restrictions and massive amounts of paper work. Of course, there is no guarantee of receiving a permit to pray/marry/have an abortion/go to another state. Remember "shall issue" is contrary to "common-sense".

All this talk of "common-sense" has inspired a short rant.

It has nothing to do with having common-sense. It is used as a divisive phrase to make people that oppose their agenda seem to lacking common-sense and are the fringes of society. Then when they are opposed and defeated they will blame the "powerful gun lobby" and its "extremist agenda". I would like to start referring to these groups who hate firearms ownership with some appropriate phrases. How about the "powerful anti-rights lobby"?

Wait until everyone sees my "common-sense" laws on religion, abortion, marriage, immigration, and interstate travel. The goal of each is to severely encumber each with draconian restrictions and massive amounts of paper work. Of course, there is no guarantee of receiving a permit to pray/marry/have an abortion/go to another state. Remember "shall issue" is contrary to "common-sense".

DREW is now (seriously) one of my favorite internet heros!! I bet Al GOre SERIOUSLY regrets inventing the internet now!! :s0155:

I got a card in the mail today from the NRA asking us to email the Mayor and
the Commissioner of Public Safety, Randy Leonard. Here is what I related to them.

"Stricter gun control laws only effect law abiding citizens. The criminal's don't give a hoot about any laws you pass. A curfew? Come on, they are laughing at you. Prohibited from specified areas? This was already shot down by the courts in other cases. There are current laws available to deter crime. Try enforcing those laws for a change. When our system does not dish out any punishment or deterrent for committing a crime, the young people will just keep on doing what they are doing. A slap on the wrist does not deter their future actions. Tough Love is a good thing. Attack the root of the problem. If you simply mow the lawn, the weeds will grow back.

Your stricter gun control proposal is a smoke screen coverup for failing to address the root cause of the problem. Do something meaningful that will actually make a difference."

And I signed my full name.

Their email addresses are:
[email protected]
[email protected].

Send them an email. Just remember to keep it civil. I know it is hard to do sometimes with these clowns. I was tempted to tell him to 'man up' for a change, but I thought that would get my email deleted.

The Skanner just published a fairly decent treatment of the issue which quoted me a few times.

Mayor Adams Proposes New Gun Control Laws

Thanks for the support Ross! Sam Adams quotes/proposals in that article show that he has no clue what is happening in the real world.

Gun violence exclusions zones? We already have gun violence exclusion zones, the whole city!

And this crap....... Yeah Sam the city is all screwed up because of a group supporting the rights of law abiding citizens to own guns.

Adams....."It's the (Oregon Firearms Federation) type of lobbying that has stymied efforts for common sense gun safety reforms," he says. "The reason city government has attempted to do virtually nothing for two decades even though it's a problem in neighborhoods is because of bullying tactics and strength of the gun use lobby and state law that strangles local government's ability to make it safer from illegal gun use."

He's stuck on the tired cliche..."Common sense gun control laws"

Then we get into exclusion zones, so where do these criminal go? Do they stop being criminals outside of high risk area's?

I propose we introduce common sense Sam Adams exclusion zones!

I live in this so called high risk area. To those who know the area I'm next to Peninsula park which is a short distance from all these shootings. I have to say there is nothing new going on here in fact the area is 10 times better than it was in the 70's 80's and 90's

He is obliviuosly tring to get his name out in what he considers a posirive way. I believe he is trying to get re-elected and we must try not to allow this to happen.;

Sam is trying to keep hisself in the news. He was all over the last Thursday deal and these gun law carp.I don't believe he has a chance given his history, but I've been wrong before. WE need a strong candidate that won't allianate Portlands resident colony of flakes, someone literate and tolerant like Mod. TRLSM.:s0155:

The sad thing is Portland loves that alt non status quo lifestyle.

Adams could be openly molesting little boys right now and Portland would still celebrate and vote for him, because he represents that whole alt Portland thing. And it doesn't help that he is a left over of Vera Katz legacy.

The article on this in the Oregonian. Mayor Sam Adams' plan for new Portland gun laws could face stiff opposition | OregonLive.com

More of the same type of quotes. They even have a quote from Ginny Burdick.
"It's amazing to me the denial around the connection between inadequacy in our gun laws and gun crimes on the street. The Legislature hasn't connected those dots," Adams said. "The absence of meaningful gun law changes must end. I'm intent on changing that."

"But I think he ought to forge ahead anyway," she said. "The fundamental problem we have in Salem is the extremist end of the spectrum in the gun-owning community dominates the debate. They look bigger than they are because they're so loud."

Yep, that's it.:s0077: I'm thinking that having a cause that a large group of people actually care about helps. Especially when those people are willing and able to contribute money. That's called power. For some reason there's no Northwest Gungrabbers site. Please crawl back in your holes and take your "common-sense gun laws" with you.

With luck, this will boost contributions to the firearms freedom lobby. Maybe we can get some of my "common sense gun laws" passed like prohibiting disclosure of information regarding CHL holders/applicants and establishing reciprocity to residents of other states who are licensed to carry concealed, eliminate the asinine law restricting carry on an ATV, and maybe remove the "preemption loophole" (166.173 Authority of city or county to regulate possession of loaded firearms in public places) that allows Portland to restrict open carry. Then ask Sam if he likes apples.:s0112:

I think ob1 is exactly right:
The thing is that we need to be alert, since these people have learned to accomplish their goals with one step at a time, and not necessarily in the order we might expect. It's the old frog in a slowly boiling pot analogy. Call me a tin foil hatter, but Spengo you are right, what other point would this requirement have with an otherwise law abiding gun owner ?

There are plenty of laws on the books already to achieve Honest Sam's desired goals- piling even more nebulous rules/regulations on everyone will only provide the basis for future "interpretation" by these jokers in the future. If we let this kind of excrement get through now, we'll be eating it later- you can quote me on that!

Alright with trepidation I will be a voice of dissent but I have to say that on the whole I do not see major problems with these proposals. Set aside the fact that they are coming from a nut case like Adams.

1. Curfew. Probably won't work but it is not an "I am going to take your guns!" ordinance. I think it is a fairly interesting approach, but is only enforceable after a crime has been committed which is when the police would discover the violation. Ultimately ineffective at stopping crime. This can only amount to political eye candy.

2. The children. I see no problem with this provided it is worded a little better. I think some nimrod that leaves a loaded gun just laying about and does not take even the most basic safety precautions is negligent. If their child or someone elses child gets hurt as a result then it is criminally negligent. If you are not using your gun lock it up. If you are carrying a gun because of your need for personal protection then keep the gun with you. If you are done carrying the gun around then secure it properly. It's basic safety kids. In 2007 613 deaths (of adolescents to young adults) resulted from unintentional discharge of a firearm, in my world that is still 613 too many. I would also note that this is not a ban on enjoying shooting sports with your child. (That number is taken from a study of the causes of death performed by the CDC I believe. I left the report at my office, so I can post later if needed.)

3. Loss/Theft - Can some of you say paranoid? This is not a back door registration because it wouldn't work if it was. Customer A goes to a store to buy a gun. Customer A turns out to have criminal intent and chooses to ignore that whole part about buying a gun for someone not lawfully allowed to posses one. He takes the gun home and somehow the gun goes "missing". Again it is personal and public safety that come to mind for me. Reporting the gun as lost or stolen will be important to solving the crime that will inevitably result and in which your gun will be used. **** if you don't report it as stolen it is just possible that an innocent person could be implicated in a crime.

4. Penalties - This needs to be rewritten to exclude people with carry permits provided they are carrying within the appropriate limits of the carry permit.

5. Exclusion zones - Didn't work in any other incarnation. To much of an administrative nightmare

I get where he is going with this and frankly I am not alarmed. I am concerned that the issues be written appropriately and that is all.

Mandrake

What part of "shell not be infringed" do you not understand?

Say what you want about Greg Kafoury but he was instrumental in getting Trojan closed and he was the person that exposed the critical flaws that could have led to a disaster.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top