JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

IMO - smart move
They would have got it all set up and right after that people will claim it's disproportionate to some population and they would kill it. Woidl have been another hole for tax $. wheeler already saying people should be prepared for need for more taxes. What a prick.

Back in high school I had a '74 Nova that I could make backfire on demand. It was a large time for my buddy and I to drive around and make people hit the dirt on a "gunshot".

Had these systems existed back then, many shenanigans would ensure for sure!

Back in high school I had a '74 Nova that I could make backfire on demand. It was a large time for my buddy and I to drive around and make people hit the dirt on a "gunshot".

Had these systems existed back then, many shenanigans would ensure for sure!
Some cars were capable of that with proper timing of the throttle and ignition switch - except if you weren't careful, you would sometimes blow up/off the exhaust system.

Some cars were capable of that with proper timing of the throttle and ignition switch - except if you weren't careful, you would sometimes blow up/off the exhaust system.
Or with the proper (improper?) mucking around with the carb. Pedal to the floor, opening up the secondaries and quickly letting off resulted in a bunch of unburnt fuel until it hit the hot expanding exhaust gasses in the muffler causing a big bang. I had it timed perfectly! Juvenile automotive bliss.

Is gunshot detection something that 2A supporters should oppose?

Or was it just fiscally bad policy?
Just bad policy IMO. Ineffective and gimmicky. Plus, if you want to draw police to a certain area so you can commit crimes elsewhere, just shoot or drop firecrackers in Area 'A' while your posse robs a bank/etc. in Area 'B'.

They already have gun shot detection tech.

Hop on rings neighbors app and enable alerts. Watch how many times you see posts about "WaS tHAt a GunSHoT!1?"

The article I read the other day seems to cite a different reason for them abandoning the tech.

Seems more centered around:
Wheeler said community feedback and talks with Portland Police Chief Chuck Lovell factored into the decision, adding that the city would instead focus on various other existing and new gun violence prevention strategies.

It also partly comes down to a lack of staff capacity to run the system, he said, leaving the door open for the city to revisit the idea in the future if police staffing levels improve.
Hahaha remember when they disbanded their gun crime unit years ago :^)

Then a couple years later made the "FIT" unit.

Man robocop 2s script is a wild thing ain't it?

Last Edited:
thats-racist.gif

Yup.....Dodged that bullet.
Huh?
Think about it.....
Where would have been the "best placement/usage" for them?
Yeah.....it wasn't like that they would have been placed all around the city. EQUALLY.

Aloha, Mark

Is gunshot detection something that 2A supporters should oppose?

Or was it just fiscally bad policy?
Gunshot detection systems are great in theory, but notoriously error prone in reality, especially in areas with tall buildings (urban canyon). Hard to triangulate location due to echos and obstructions, lots of false positives (i.e. construction work) etc.

I had a buddy in high school that had one of the original 1/2 ton Suburbans. I think it had a 327 in it with headers and a 4 BBL carb. The exhaust was the 4 bell tips on each side that dumped out just ahead of the rear tires. Matt would turn the key off (with the vehicle in gear) pump the gas, and then turn the ignition back on. All that raw fuel that had been pumped into the exhaust pipes would light off and shoot flames about 20 feet to each side of the rig. Rumor has it he did it in town once and melted a lady's pantyhose to her legs!

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top