JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
HB-1240, Washington's "assault weapons" ban, has the following terminology:
This act is necessary for the immediate preservation of the public peace, health, or safety, or support of the state government and its existing public institutions, and takes effect immediately.
So... how soon could this land on the governor's desk?

My assumption (and maybe a bad assumption) is that it would be similar to SB5078. The law seems similar in its writing and (lack of depth/knowledge). It would be put into effect in a few months after passage and signature. Assuming no injunction occurs… what's going on in Illinois and Oregon is somewhat comforting for me. Hopefully the courts stand up for us. Who knows. My gut feeling is that despite having the numbers to pass this bill, it will still be an uphill battle for the dems. But maybe I think that because I want to believe it.

My wife was telling me the soonest they can vote on a bill is 30 days after introduction. It was introduced on January 11th, since January has 31 days, they (House) could vote on it on February 10th. That said... https://www.seattletimes.com/seattl...ill-that-keeps-many-lawmakers-records-closed/ they once did it in 48 hours. So I don't know if that 30 days holds true.

bradsteen is right, it does take effect immediately.

This act is necessary for the immediate preservation of the public peace, health, or safety, or support of the state government and its existing public institutions, and takes effect immediately.

It's for them, not the citizens.

It's for them, not the citizens.
That is language addressing the old, 2-step test that Bruen threw out. Shows you the cut-paste nature if this crap.

My wife was telling me the soonest they can vote on a bill is 30 days after introduction. It was introduced on January 11th, since January has 31 days, they (House) could vote on it on February 10th. That said... https://www.seattletimes.com/seattl...ill-that-keeps-many-lawmakers-records-closed/ they once did it in 48 hours. So I don't know if that 30 days holds true.

bradsteen is right, it does take effect immediately.
Am not familiar with the 30-day limit. I do know hearings are already happening and we NEED to be active!

HB-1240, Washington's "assault weapons" ban, has the following terminology:

So... how soon could this land on the governor's desk?
Another "drop" thread... there must be another term people can use.

According to wa gun law the new language they put in says it is effective immediately. So as soon as it's signed it's effective. Apparently they are copying Illinois which went from an insurance related bill to completely replaced by an assault weapons ban bill to signed and effective in 72 hours total.

The story on the Illinois sneaky insurance housekeeping bill replaced with assault weapons bill to effective law in 72 hours. These anti-gunners are making a complete mockery of the legislative process.

Last Edited:
The important questions are:

1) How soon it will take for SAF to "drop" a lawsuit in court?
2) How soon it will take for people to "drop" money into the coffers of SAF to fund a lawsuit?

BTW, people on this site are using the word drop that in a way that is completely opposite to its common meaning. If the bill was "dropped" it would be CANCELED, not introduced.

Had on the local news that they want to vote on it next week in the house. They are really trying to shove this one thru.
Now that illinois used extremely sneaky tactics -replacing the text of an insurance bill with an AWB and got it signed and effective in only 72 hours- teh anti-gunners see a sneaky tactic that worked. You bet your life they will try to repeat it everywhere else they can. Hopefully guys like Jim Walsh can catch it before they get away with a similar bait and switch. THey will likely try the bait and switch given the chance IMO. Walsh is a sharp cookie and has an excellent political mind imo.

Does anyone have a feel for how quickly this could get pushed through? I can see people with incoming items getting caught up in this mess if they can't complete the transfer before it is signed.

It seems to me that any "part" used to assemble a SA rifle will be considered an assault rifle in and of itself? Is that accurate? So assuming it passes, after the effective date, BCGs, triggers, spare parts, replacement barrels won't be shipped to WA?

Screenshot_20230130-100309.png

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads