JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Search function doesn't work so well, so point me to a thread if this has been specifically discussed before.

Haven't reloaded for years, and gave my RCBS press to a friend because I wasn't using it. I still have several smaller presses and equipment.

That said, I want to get back into it a bit - mostly with light loads and some other loads that are not that easy to come by commercially (I don't particularly enjoy reloading, but I do like to have "special" loads).

I finally got some Trail Boss and I want to work up some light loads for both revolver and lever/bolt actions.

That got me to thinking about portable loading setups - not as a primary reloading setup - a conventional press would be much better for that (I am thinking of getting a Dillon setup), but rather as something a person could take into the field and do some reloading there if necessary or desirable (such as working up a load).

Of course, there is the Lee Loader kit I am sure everybody is familiar with (no press, just the kit and a mallet required), but then there are also the "hand" presses - Lee, Lyman, etc.

Q: If you wanted a portable hand operated reloading kit that you could reload with in the field (assuming you have the components), what would you go with?

Why?

I would prefer something that would fit into an ammo box no larger than a "fat" .50 caliber box, along with the components and dies/etc.

I have a Breech Lock press on the bench, I also have the hand press. Small variation between the two so it takes a little die adjustment to be right on track.

I have dippers for generic powder throws. I could load anything in a generic load that I have on the move.

Definitely a Lee Hand Press would be essential (or something comparable) I started reloading with it as I was in an apartment at the time. I most often reloaded .308 mil surp brass which sometimes I had to resort to innovative bio-mechanical techniques (read: physical contortions and long elaborate cussing fits) to get a stubborn brass in and out, but for a straight walled case, it's an easy option, one I've used while camping as well.

Still a newb to reloading. So far, the loading I've done has all been with the Lee Hand Loader. For a portable setup, it certainly would be a good choice. I even took it with me on vacation to practice some loading. May not be as fast as a bench machine, but it's inexpensive and it works.

Still a newb to reloading. So far, the loading I've done has all been with the Lee Hand Loader. For a portable setup, it certainly would be a good choice. I even took it with me on vacation to practice some loading. May not be as fast as a bench machine, but it's inexpensive and it works.
Although a more labor intensive system, I enjoy doing it sometimes for the sheer simplicity. Something about reloading your ammo while camping reminds me of any number of small revolutionary or guerilla fighters through out history who were low tech yet highly skilled, and most down time was dedicated to rebuilding stores. (Think of the scene in The Patriot where they're melting down anything that might remotely make a good ball in the fire crucible, and casting musket balls; probably a scene that's been repeated throughout history countless times in some manner. Yeah, I'm kind of a history nerd!)

I have a Breech Lock press on the bench, I also have the hand press. Small variation between the two so it takes a little die adjustment to be right on track.

I have dippers for generic powder throws. I could load anything in a generic load that I have on the move.

Yep sorta like me too. Mine is the Lee BreechLock hand press. Its a good set up for portability and especially if one has limited space. I have been really impressed with the Lee powder dippers for what I reload. I would recommend this set up. Of course it doesn't all fit in one ammo box.

So, pretty much as I assumed: The Lee Loader kit, the Lee and Lyman hand presses? No other portable hand presses?

There are other hand operated "presses", mostly old/no longer made and expensive when you find one used.
Here's a modern version of an old design, built and sold as a custom:
Introducing the Buchanan Precision Machine Hand Press
They are out there, but you'll pay for one, and don't expect to find anything that is comparable in price to a Lee or Lyman.
:)

Last Edited:
Thanks. That is more or less what I was asking for - an alternative, and to make sure I wasn't missing something better. Value is what I value. Inexpensive is good, but not at the cost of quality and reliability.

The problem I have with the Lee hand press is that some people have reported that it wears out pretty fast when used repeatedly and that the newer ones are made from aluminum (?). I could buy multiples, but if there is something better...

Not that I am going to use a hand press as my primary press - but the scenarios I want it for I want it to last, and I do have carpal tunnel so I want it to be as easy to use as possible, especially for full length resizing - I don't mind paying for quality of design and workmanship.

Last Edited:
Loading Leverguns with Hand Tools
Handtools -L to R - Lyman AccuPress, Lee, Pak-Tool, Huntington HDS, Welding Rod Holder, Lyman 310

handtools.JPG

Lots of benchrest guys reload at the range. Find a small press like the RCBS Partner press if you want to FL size while in the field. It can be clamped to a pickup bed or attached to a bench. If you can get away with neck sizing you can use an Arbor press with Wilson dies. Using a scale can be next to impossible though due to the slightest wind, so a good powder throw is what a lot of people use.

I do a lot of out of town work. I set my Leebreechlock so it can be clamped to the desk in my hotel room. I also bring my tumbler. It's my version of portable. Just three weeks ago I processed over 1200 45acp cases while out of town.

If you really want portable you will find a way.

Good luck.

Thanks. That is more or less what I was asking for - an alternative, and to make sure I wasn't missing something better. Value is what I value. Inexpensive is good, but not at the cost of quality and reliability.

The problem I have with the Lee hand press is that some people have reported that it wears out pretty fast when used repeatedly and that the newer ones are made from aluminum (?). I could buy multiples, but if there is something better...

Not that I am going to use a hand press as my primary press - but the scenarios I want it for I want it to last, and I do have carpal tunnel so I want it to be as easy to use as possible, especially for full length resizing - I don't mind paying for quality of design and workmanship.
Had surgery both hands myself, double carpal tunnel release, many years ago...not fun.
I cringe watching that video, and where the levers push against his hands.
If someone used that press/that way, carpal tunnel would be the results.
jmo
:eek:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews