JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Been there brother. Too many times I'm afraid. I also have jumped through MANY hoops, calling across the country looking for "new old stock" trying to keep a customers genset going. Maintenance parts are still available (filters, plugs) but if something internal fails and scouring the internet and country hoping to get lucky and find the part in some dusty warehouse doesn't work the customer is SOL.
Be a damn good thing to remember for anyone who goes shopping to buy an RV. See what Genset it has on board and make sure they don't get stuck like this, or get a good enough deal they can just have it replaced.

The price is right.

I'd have to do the calculations but the idea is to be able to run my CPAP with the humidifier/heater when out camping in a cold season. (Just got in from leaf rangling in the yard so maybe another time).

I have six golf cart batteries that I transfered from my 36' 5th to my 28' 5th, but my solar panels haven't been installed yet. I have two 120W 12V rigid panels and two new 130W flexible panels. I just need to get up on the roof and get it done. The old RV had a 3000W (cont, 6000W peak) inverter but I didn't like to use it when I was out on the desert going w/o sun for days at a time. My CPAP has a 12V cord but the fuse is only 1A so no running a heater like that. I need to decide whether to get another inverter or a quieter generator, or maybe something like you recommended? (KWh seemed low, but as I said, I'd have to do the figures.)

Thanx - bb

I've got a 120 Watt solar panel run to a 235ah 12v deep cycle with a 2000w sine wave inverter in my truck. If you ever hit the sage hills of E. Oregon and see a guy out there with a vacuum cleaner vacuuming, that's me.

As others have said, you can't go wrong with Honda. And I obviously don't know your situation or layout. But consider if two smaller generators would make more sense than one big one. Smaller generators burn less fuel, are more maneuverable, and you can always run them both in parallel if needed. Just something to consider. :)

I'm into this one $1,000.
Deal of a lifetime

70ED1996-3B13-4F40-9756-0B47709EC2A3.jpeg

Battery tech has really gotten impressive. I had long carried a jump box in each vehicle. We long ago went to the ones that use what is basically a large laptop battery. When Wife first brought one home years ago I was sure it was a never going to really work thing. Damned if they don't actually work and are FAR easier to carry and maintain. One of the oldest ones would no longer take a charge so replaced it with one that supposedly will even jump start a diesel engine. Damn things are impressive and makes a great source of emergency power.

Battery tech has really gotten impressive. I had long carried a jump box in each vehicle. We long ago went to the ones that use what is basically a large laptop battery. When Wife first brought one home years ago I was sure it was a never going to really work thing. Damned if they don't actually work and are FAR easier to carry and maintain. One of the oldest ones would no longer take a charge so replaced it with one that supposedly will even jump start a diesel engine. Damn things are impressive and makes a great source of emergency power.

I was in the hospital in Walla Walla for an endoscopy and my wife, duty driver, couldn't start the car in the parking lot. We called our Roadside Assistance and when the guy finally got there, 1 hour later, he had one of those little battery packs instead of jump cables... it was amazing to see how easy it turned over that 6cyl engine!

In the trades, I've used about everything there is. Some started easily, and were trouble free over the long haul. Some, not so much.

If price is no object, then Honda is the way to go. If nothing else, servicing dealers are everywhere.

But I'm gonna say...I've owned a couple Champion generators. Half the price or even less, and they work every bit as well as any Honda I've owned or used.

Last Edited:
All this gen talk got me thinking I better check mine before the next big storm. Pulled it out of the shed and brought it to the Garage so if I need it I can just put it on the other side of the door. Had not changed the oil in at least a year. Its always a PITA to do. Bought a little suction deal with a 1 quart tank I had looked at many times. Thinking they would not really work. Ran it for a few to warm the oil and damned if the little pump did not make the oil change FAR easier. Will use it for the lawn mower soon after I make one last pass over the yards. Damn thing was $15 off Amazon and does feel very cheaply made. At that price if I can use it a few times I will be happy.

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top