JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Looking to get one of these to power house gas furnace and fridge if power goes out.

Are these all basically the same or is one better than another? Any brands to avoid? I don't know anything about them. Thx!

192564D5-D183-43F7-AA1B-4ADD88A88820.jpeg
BF579E1F-5C1E-4E9E-A503-2503D906185D.jpeg
547FDF52-CBFE-4EB2-9904-EB9E6DF15E70.jpeg
A40C6E4B-0A1D-4AE1-AB3C-A748F5582D80.jpeg

Honda is one of the best. Honda built not just one with a Honda engine. The other Asian imports are a roll of the dice. They would be fine for limited use. If they break parts most likely will not be available or have to be improvised. Very important you estimate your expected power requirements and buy one large enough to meet your needs by safe margin.

Honda is one of the best. Honda built not just one with a Honda engine. The other Asian imports are a roll of the dice. They would be fine for limited use. If they break parts most likely will not be available or have to be improvised. Very important you estimate your expected power requirements and buy one large enough to meet your needs by safe margin.
I hear u on Honda. My first Honda lawnmower ran over 20 years of constant regular use. Motor was still fine and I still have the motor (don't know why, just hate to toss it). Always ran redline oil in it. Price on Honda generators seems to be $1100 and up though which would be fine if I were to use it but for my use it may never actually be used so that's why I'm thinking one of the less expensive ones.

Good thoughts on power. I'm thinking 2800ish would be enough? (I'm just guessing really based on what I think may be startup up draw so let me know if I'm off base plz). Furnaces have the low energy variable motor so it shouldn't use that much and I would probably just run one if power went out. My goal is to make power outage a bit more comfortable than last time (the big ice storm last year/this year?) so it's pretty low standard. Furnace, fridge, maybe microwave and that's about all I'm thinking.

Last Edited:
Furnace, fridge, and microwave will all be intermittent use. So will not be running at the same time. Even the furnace cycles on and off and need not be running when you use the others. Being your use will for emergency and very occasional no need to spend big money. So go to each appliance and read the current requirement on the date label. To calculate wattage if not on the label, volts times amps, then add 30% so you are not running the generator at 100% load. Assuming you do not need a bigger unit that provides 220 volts for your furnace you may not need that many watts. The Harbor Freight Predators are a good buy. Most buyers get their extended warranty. If it breaks there is a free replace just around the corner in most towns. Some thoughts, only run non-ethanol gas(always), always add fuel stabilizer in the gas, run your generator once a month and it will start when you need it.

If its for very occasional use? Get one that will use LP gas. They are SOOOOOO much easier to deal with. LP is FAR easier and safer to store and does not need to be rotated. As for brand? As mentioned Honda is the gold standard by which others are judged. If you want to pay the cost for one you will get a LONG lasting item. Since we very seldom need ours I just bought one from Home Depot over 10 years ago. When I need it I just turn on the bottle and fire it up. Figure what wattage you want, then try to buy double that. The less load the thing has the longer it will last. If you want to run electronics you should buy a filter for them or buy one that is rated to make power safe for them. I use an AVR that the main TV is plugged into all the time. So if we use the Genset I plug it into that. For the desktop and camera system they are plugged into a UPS with protection so that is hooked to the genset. All this comes down to how much you want to spend vs how often do you expect to need it.

If its for very occasional use? Get one that will use LP gas. They are SOOOOOO much easier to deal with. LP is FAR easier and safer to store and does not need to be rotated. As for brand? As mentioned Honda is the gold standard by which others are judged. If you want to pay the cost for one you will get a LONG lasting item. Since we very seldom need ours I just bought one from Home Depot over 10 years ago. When I need it I just turn on the bottle and fire it up. Figure what wattage you want, then try to buy double that. The less load the thing has the longer it will last. If you want to run electronics you should buy a filter for them or buy one that is rated to make power safe for them. I use an AVR that the main TV is plugged into all the time. So if we use the Genset I plug it into that. For the desktop and camera system they are plugged into a UPS with protection so that is hooked to the genset. All this comes down to how much you want to spend vs how often do you expect to need it.
That's some good info on the propane option thx. I saw some generators advertised as dual fuel but didn't realize they were gas/propane. I like how propane is easier to store so dual fuel would let me use propane from the BBQ and if I run out can use gas. I'll see what dual fuel options are out there thx!

I have a COSTCO gen with a Honda engine. Works just fine and saved me about $500 over what the tractor store was selling brand name Hondas for. Just sayin'

Electric Generators Direct is a good site to learn all about generators, e.g., different types, power ratings, fuels, etc. They also have buyer's guides which can help steer your decision. Finally, they're also a retailer so you can get comparative pricing (no, I'm not affiliated, just impressed with their website). Good luck with your purchase process!

Pull the power requirements off the systems and appliances you wish to run. The information should be located on an informational sticker attached to each item. You need to be able to cover your highest peak load (starting load) which is likely your HVAC system. If you don't buy a genset large enough to handle the peak load for each appliance and system at the same time, you are going to have to flip breakers on and off so you don't have them trying to run simultaneously. This is a simplification of what you need to take into account but there are plenty of resources online to help you calculate load and project what size generator you need for your intended use.

I also second a duel fuel genset that will run on gasoline and propane/natural gas.

That's some good info on the propane option thx. I saw some generators advertised as dual fuel but didn't realize they were gas/propane. I like how propane is easier to store so dual fuel would let me use propane from the BBQ and if I run out can use gas. I'll see what dual fuel options are out there thx!
Yes, we just use those jugs for the BBQ. Keep a few around. Even if there is a major power outage you can still find those bottles so its nice to have. You can use it to cook if you have a gas grill and even buy cheap heat that uses it. So it has many uses and the genset then no rotating the damn gasoline or draining the carb after use and such.

I would add that there is a difference between...

Occasional Use - To power the blender at the tailgate and/or when you're doing some remote work out in your field and you need to run the odd electric too and such...

Vs.

Occasional Use - During a grid down catastrophic event and you gotta have power to run the fridge and critical med equipment.

I understand wanting to save some cash and that Honda generators go for a premium price. But if you're buying it for more of the later situation where you may not ever use it but it's absolutely gotta work if and when you do need it, then you might want to drop some cash. YMMV.

Also keep in mind there are tri-fuel options that can run off natural gas too...if you happen to have that.

For my trailer, I have an A-ipower 2k. It has worked well (105hr)
For the house, I have a Predator 8750. Took me three tries to get a good one. First had a broken motor mount as soon as I got it out of the box.
Second one backfired on first start and blew the carb apart.
Third one is is sitting inside a gen shed that I built for it with the muffler relocated to the outside of the box to reduce heat and a 12v radiator fan in the ceiling drawing cool air through the inlet/across the gen/out the eave vent.

Good fuel, proper maintenance, and appropriate size to not be maxed out. Remember that it is better to oversized incase you have to use something else than to skimp on power and not have enough. I put an HR meter on every generator using the 12v circuit.

Harbor Freight Tools, Predator series gen set, they ARE a Honda with out the name, and 1/3 the price, and every bit as good! LOOK at all the reviews and U-tooby videos, I ain't joking!!

I have the 9500 watt big boy and it will power the entire house with out skipping a beat!

Harbor Freight Tools, Predator series gen set, they ARE a Honda with out the name, and 1/3 the price, and every bit as good! LOOK at all the reviews and U-tooby videos, I ain't joking!!

I have the 9500 watt big boy and it will power the entire house with out skipping a beat!
Now that is good to know! I had no idea those were put together with a Honda mill in them.

They are a copy of Honda, some speculate they are actually made by Honda, only under a different brand, in some ways they are actually superior too!
Honda's patent for their older engines expired, so those engines are literally a copy from China. Highly doubt Honda is actually manufacturing them, the metallurgy and quality control ain't the greatest.

I'd still rock one, because I am a budget playa.

-Robert

Honda's patent for their older engines expired, so those engines are literally a copy from China. Highly doubt Honda is actually manufacturing them, the metallurgy and quality control ain't the greatest.

I'd still rock one, because I am a budget playa.

-Robert
Me too looking at the price. They don't seem to make one for LP sadly but damn the price is nice. If I used one often enough I would sure give one of these a shot at that price. Could buy 2, have one as a back up :D

I have a pump that is powered by an 8 HP Predator engine. I also have an air compressor that has a Predator replacing the original Briggs & Stratton. Both require several pulls on the cord to start, whereas the Hondas start on the first pull, if run in the last month, or the second pull if I let them sit for several months.

Once running, there is no difference, and restarts are the same for both brands. I suspect that the Hondas have a stronger spark.

You can get conversion kits for them to convert, check out U-toob!
Well I'll be damned! I had no Fing clue it was as easy as it is to do this. Never bothered to look as I just "assumed" the genset made to run off LP was a totally different machine. Looks like you can get away with converting any gasoline one to LP for about $150 from Amazon. There is a place called Ping that makes complete units to convert the Predator series to tri fuel for about twice that but they look nice. Its a lot of steps but the video shows that even some complete mechanical dimwit like me could actually do this and not have to take it to a pro half done! Impressed hell out of me! Thanks for posting this!
Damn I love some of the info I stumble across on this site!

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads