JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I enjoy the Ruger Scout version. Bolt action, box magazines, rugged enough, accurate enough. My grandson was putting lead on steel at the 200 yard target by his 3rd shot.

For budget friendly, Savage! They even have a 1/8 twist and are chambered to 5.56, there are plenty of stock options and barrels are also easy to change at home!
My first .223 bolt was a Savage.. the action was so long you could load 300 grain bullets (lol) extra extra long and still fit in the magazine.
My current one is a SS Model 7 Remington.

CZ Lux with iron sights. Tack driver! Beautiful rifle. Sweet/smooth shooting bolt action rifle.

^^^ This is the rifle that my husband and I liked very much and we gifted it to our favorite friend back east who is like a nephew to us. FFL to FFL within the last year or a year before.

It was NOT a 527 = newer model. It was the one model right before it (?).

We used a full in store credit to buy it up near Flathead Lake that closed up a few years ago. It was in business for many, many years too.

The above is the newer model.

Cate
PS: My husband has a tack driver like one that was mentioned here by RENO too. An older Remington and that is his only .223 caliber rifle.

PS:

OP, I can't remember if you reload or not.

My husband reloads for ALL of his CF firearms so far. Since the early 70's.

He does not have factory ammunition in stock for anything but a wee bit of 45acp and 30-30 Win. RF is in stock of course.

He loads nothing but .223 good quality brass for his older Remington AND he reloaded for the CZ LUX that we gifted too.

We were given a free box of .223 factory ammo when that special order CZ Lux came in.

My husband LIKES to reload and his loaded ammunition for all of his firearms is VERY accurate. (I do not reload and I never did reload.)

I gifted him Christmas money to buy a BUNCH of NIB good brass - boxes and bags several years ago. (BEFORE the poop hit the fan in fake/real shortages!) A couple of boxes of brass were bought RIGHT before the shortages HIT HARD and .223 BRASS was getting harder to find. Expensive but it was/is an expensive BRAND name even when there are NO fake/real shortages too.

He did have a LOT of brass but he was going through ALL of his .223 brass and tons more brass in other calibers. We gifted a LOT of it and sold a tiny bit due to downsizing and caliber consolidation some more.

I wanted to gift him some .223 good factory ammo a couple of years ago and he did NOT want it. He wanted HIS own ammo.

He did have some NAME BRAND - good factory .223 ammunition a LONG time ago but he rarely used it. He liked his OWN ammo more. So that got sold YEARS AGO to a man who only loaded ONE caliber in rifle ammunition and that man bought factory ammunition too.

Side note:

Our friend who was gifted the CZ Lux ONLY uses factory .223 ammunition for it. He does NOT reload and is hardly ever HOME too. He is in his middle 50's now and working a NON .gov job. He absolutely LOVES that rifle and he is the man who was out here visiting us recently. Veteran - Army Special Forces - two berets - LOL. Plus he was on Ground Zero with the NY Army NG on 9/11. He no longer lives in NY and is back in his home state. He is retired from the Army.

Best wishes to you.

Cate

Last Edited:
Thx for all the input. I put a search on gunbroker for the CZ 527 Carbine in .223/5.56 and a new one appeared overnight with no shipping fees, no credit-card fees, and priced below MSRP. So I grabbed it.

Thx for all the input. I put a search on gunbroker for the CZ 527 Carbine in .223/5.56 and a new one appeared overnight with no shipping fees, no credit-card fees, and priced below MSRP. So I grabbed it.
You should have purchased the Ruger American Ranch. I would have given you an AR mag or two :p:D

Congrats on the purchase. CZ makes good stuff.

Gonna trick it out with a Boyd's stock? Optics? Pictures when you finish.

...and no dice. I did the Order, the gun shop charged my card, and then backed out about 4hrs later saying the rifle was on back order. Ummm, yeah OK. So a non-positive rating of the Seller and a complaint to GunBroker.

I will still likely acquire a CZ 527 Carbine.

...and no dice. I did the Order, the gun shop charged my card, and then backed out about 4hrs later saying the rifle was on back order. Ummm, yeah OK. So a non-positive rating of the Seller and a complaint to GunBroker.

What about contacting the CZ Store and see if you can get on a wait list ?
Their prices seem very competitive and one would think that they would be getting re-stocked first.

Tikka does a 1 in 8 twist. The blued versions are still pretty affordable. Mine actually shoots American Eagle 55gr into itty bitty groups.
The 223 Tikkas don't seem to be readily obtainable these days. I almost bought one maybe 18 months ago, but foolishly balked.

I hope that you can find a nice CZ rifle that you like.

Cate

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads