JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Are 'gun-free zones' an acceptable form of discrimination?
:rolleyes:
A furor that erupted over the weekend and continues today over Indiana's new "Religious Freedom Restoration Act" provided Seattle Mayor Ed Murray an opportunity to condemn discrimination, noting that people cannot refuse service based on their religious beliefs.

<broken link removed>

Carrying a firearm is a form of expression and Id dare to say belief.. Which some could relate to religious ties. With a very diverse culture these days, whos to say what a religion is and isn't or what a certain lifestyle can be and what it can't?

I find that any store that bans anything that is normally allowed by law outside the private property should in fact be subject to discrimination. If stores have to bake wedding cakes for things that go against the owners religion then anti firearm stores have to serve those that carry, openly or concealed.

These folks cannot pick and choose what they shall and shall not accept or tolerate. It needs to be a level playing field. Beat those "tolerance" folks at their own game.

A furor that erupted over the weekend and continues today over Indiana's new "Religious Freedom Restoration Act" provided Seattle Mayor Ed Murray an opportunity to condemn discrimination, noting that people cannot refuse service based on their religious beliefs.

<broken link removed>

I tried to post on that with:

"Protected classes aren't capable of being hypocritical bigots[/sarcasm]
http://www.seattletimes.com/seattle...-hall-travel-to-indiana/#lf_comment=288122070 "

I guess that was too much for the moderators to deal with, since it has disappeared

Carrying a firearm is a form of expression and Id dare to say belief.. Which some could relate to religious ties. With a very diverse culture these days, whos to say what a religion is and isn't or what a certain lifestyle can be and what it can't?

I find that any store that bans anything that is normally allowed by law outside the private property should in fact be subject to discrimination. If stores have to bake wedding cakes for things that go against the owners religion then anti firearm stores have to serve those that carry, openly or concealed.

These folks cannot pick and choose what they shall and shall not accept or tolerate. It needs to be a level playing field. Beat those "tolerance" folks at their own game.

More so than just a belief, it is a constitutionally-protected belief, and we are behaving in a lawful manner, and usually it's being done while carrying a state issued document that required a background check for criminal history prior to issuance, when we are being discriminated against.

Last Edited:
For so than just a belief, it is a constitutionally-protected belief, and we are behaving in a lawful manner, and usually it's being done while carrying a state issued document that required a background check for criminal history prior to issuance, when we are being discriminated against.
Thats why I support Open Carry no matter how many guys here dog on it.
Its ones constitutional right to do so and not all have the age (under 21 but above 18) or means to get a pistol right away, yet they deserve and are granted every right to defend themselves.

Thats why I support Open Carry no matter how many guys here dog on it.
Its ones constitutional right to do so and not all have the age (under 21 but above 18) or means to get a pistol right away, yet they deserve and are granted every right to defend themselves.

It's been a very loooooong time since I was the dog in the fight for rights of 18 year olds, but the same hypocrites for GFZ's are also trying impose a sub-21 ban on smoking, won't let them buy the same legal substances that 21 year olds can, etc., while they put 18-20 year olds in uniforms and arm them to defend the state and its interests, and use the vote of 18 year olds to get their policies put in place.

Guys:
all of these are EXCELLENT observations and I encourage you to cut and paste them over to the Exam..without trying any link. Maybe I can figure a way around that by doing an addendum.

Thanks so much!

<broken link removed>
I'd like to inject the following thoughts:

Anti-discrimination laws are designed to protect us from being discriminated against based on attributes we have no control over, such as race, color, sex, sexual orientation, origin (e.g. tribal). Some people may argue that Religion is a choice thus religious discrimination protections are limited, e.g. if your religion dictates you run around naked all day long, you obviously will be hitting a wall pretty quick - right about when you break some other laws or ordinances.

Private businesses have always had the right to "discriminate". You may be allowed to wander the streets without a shirt and without shoes, but any restaurant that posts a "no shoes, no shirt, no service" sign is free to deny service to such patrons.

Now, the relevant question to ask is: If we cannot discriminate against religion, how about Sikhism? Sikhs are required to carry a Kirpan (dagger/knife) at all times. Several court cases in the US have addressed the legality of wearing a kirpan in public. Courts in New York and Ohio have ruled that banning the wearing of a kirpan is unconstitutional.

If someone want's to take the lead and found a religion for shooters, I'd be happy to become a "shootist". ;-)

FYI- There IS a book called, "The shooter's Bible". Does that help? :D

image.jpg

<snip>
Appears that way.

Having stated the obvious, SCOTUS established precedents with at least two rulings of which I am aware without further research: 1) the GFSZA, which invokes the Commerce clause; and 2) the addendum in Heller, which follows below.

Like most rights, the Second Amendment right is not unlimited. It is not a right to keep and carry any weapon whatsoever in any manner whatsoever and for whatever purpose: for example, concealed weapons prohibitions have been upheld under the Amendment or state analogues. The Court's opinion should not be taken to cast doubt on longstanding prohibitions on the possession of firearms by felons and the mentally ill, or laws forbidding the carrying of firearms in sensitive places such as schools and government buildings,...

From my viewpoint, it appears that GFZs can be invoked by the facility owner/operator with the blessing of SCOTUS. Except for the GFSZA, The States have authority to regulate GFZs. If a State is silent on the subject, it seems there is little a gun owner can do other than boycott the facility. As stated above, SCOTUS limits the right of self defense by limiting the means to assert that right.

Last Edited:
I was caught once in my closet since I'm a hoplophile with an AR, touching it in all the right places.

Makes a grown man smile....

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads