JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Today when I was at work two uniformed officers showed up on our doorstep and proceeded to question my girlfriend about how many, what types of, and where our guns were. Turns out there was a rumor that her son had brought a gun to school at some point and “it could honestly of been up too a year ago”. Being scared and not knowing any better she proceeded to not only answer all of the questions but also showed them that they were all safe and sound where the should be minus the two that were on my person. For those two “missing” guns she called me and asked where they might be which is when I asked her why she would want to know and she explained what was going on. I told her to please explain to them that all of MY firearms were accounted for and that if they had any further questions about them or anything else that I would gladly come home and they could speak to me as they were mine. They told her that was ok and that they just wanted to make sure they were all where they should be and when she assured them they were they went on their way. When I got home I proceeded to try and explain to her why she should not have done this but believe that it all fell on deaf ears. It all seemed very fishy too me but more then anything I am feeling guilty for how mad I got and am wondering if I overreacted . . . . .

I just talked this over with my husband (he's on NWFA too). We both find this suspicious. For one thing, if it happend up to a year ago, why the questions now? He said he would call the police dept and inquire into what PRECISELY prompted this little visit. You have a right to know! Very unsettling indeed.

I just talked this over with my husband (he's on NWFA too). We both find this suspicious. For one thing, if it happend up to a year ago, why the questions now? He said he would call the police dept and inquire into what PRECISELY prompted this little visit. You have a right to know! Very unsettling indeed.

I'm not surprised. They might be digging up old complaints due to recent events...

Were these uniformed cops with a marked car, or were they plain clothes with a UC car? Uniforms with a marked unit I would be less worried about - just routine investigation type questioning. Anyone else - it's raise red flags and I'd be a bit worried.

Unless you're just prone to feeling guilty, that's probably a good sign that you did overreact to some aspect of the situation. If an apology is in order, that's not a bad way to start off a very serious discussion with your GF about expectations of privacy in your relationship, how you both feel about each other's property, and how you feel about strangers in your home asking you questions about your property. Screw the uniforms, they are strangers who have no business snooping through your things, especially your firearms. All I can think of is how I'm sorry about you having to experience that clusterbubblegum. I would be feeling violated and absolutely raging. I would not be in the best frame of mind to carefully explain to a GF, who probably thought she was doing exactly what she should, that at the ABSOLUTE most, she should have thanked them for the information and bidden them good afternoon while urgently dialing you. That's just me. I'm interested in what others think as well. Best of luck.

They were both in uniform and in a marked car. We also live in a small enough community that we know them both to be local officers. None the less I think I will give them a call and see exactly what was or is going on.

FYI, I heard on the news today there is a rumor going around that there will be active gunmen in schools around Oregon tomorrow as part of the 21 Dec 2012 predictions. And that several of the school districts are taking it very seriously.

So while I think rumors like this are ridiculous, perhaps there is one in your area as well and police/officials are on the witch hunt to track things down?

FYI, I heard on the news today there is a rumor going around that there will be active gunmen in schools around Oregon tomorrow as part of the 21 Dec 2012 predictions. And that several of the school districts are taking it very seriously.

So while I think rumors like this are ridiculous, perhaps there is one in your area as well and police/officials are on the witch hunt to track things down?

My son who is a senior has told me many kids know about this. My son is doing good in school so he is staying home.
I normally would not do such a thing or over react as it may seem, but I am hearing this from many many people so
we decided he would breath easier and so would we, by the way my son never asked to stay home I just told him on the way home
from school today about our plans.

None the less I think I will give them a call and see exactly what was or is going on.
BUT don't call them, call the Chief of Police, request a meeting, and field your questions to him/her. It has always been my experience whenever wanting questions answered for any situation (not just LE related) and when I am the 'point' of the issue, it is best to go to the top immediately so as to ensure everything was handled correctly and legally, proper notations made and the chain of command was properly utilized.

arent most schools out for christmas break?

For one thing, if it happened up to a year ago, why the questions now?

Don't assume that the cops are the ones that waited a year to respond. People call in "cold" complaints all the time. "He's talked about guns, and I think he's brought one in before", 'When did he bring one in?' "I don't know... like maybe a year ago or so".

Regardless of how ridiculous the claim is, the cops still have to follow up on it. Which is why the cops make the effort.

Do you have all your guns?

Yes.

Do you know where they all are?

Yes.

Ok, thank you. Bye.

Doesn't sound suspicious to me. There's no way that any police agency ISN'T going to follow up on a complaint about guns in a school. And it's reasonable for them to interview the parent of the suspected child. It's not like they barged in and wrote down serial numbers or anything.

No warrent No Enter When you invited them into your house you could be opening a can of worms. They have Cards and phone numbers to get back to them. Do ask the chief you may get more info than you know now by far. What kind of kid is he? Also misplaced anger happens apoligize if needed. Intimadation was maybe a factor for actions on GF part? Still better than getting pulled over in Texas.

Isn't it nice that the wonderful MSM has got people so whipped into a frenzy that entire school districts are being shut down based on "non credible" threats and police are being sent door to door looking for unsecured guns? Unbelievable.

and police are being sent door to door looking for unsecured guns? Unbelievable.
That is why I suggested they go to the Chief about this to make sure nothing was lost in the translation. The last person you want to talk to (about any questionable LEO encounter) is the LEO who contacted you. He/she should have no idea you went to the Chief/Sheriff about with questions about what happened.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top