JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Well, I think the older I get, the more Fudd I get, but for me it's all about the j-frame. I rock a S&W 442 in a PCS pocket holster. I have largish hands (at least my wife says I do), and the stock Smith grips were a little small. I replaced them with a set of Hogue bantam grips. The Hogues really made a difference for me, in terms of how well I can keep a hold on it while shooting +P loads.

I also have a Glock 43, and as long as I have an extended mag of some kind in it, it fits my hand kinda sorta acceptably well. However, it hasn't knocked the 442 off the throne. It does hide nice and easy in a Desantis pocket holster though.

One part of that decision, for me anyway, is some concern about pocket carrying an auto. Now I know - I know - that everyone regularly tears down and cleans their carry guns. Right? Right?!?!

However, I know of at least one fellow who drew and shot his auto, from a pocket holster, during an earnest social interaction. The first round discharged, but his pistol then jammed, I think an FTF, due to pocket lint. Fortunately, his first shot encouraged a hasty resolution to the situation. However, his story experience stuck with me, and helped med decide on a small-size wheelgun. Maybe a strange choice for a southpaw, but it has always gone bang when I've pulled the trigger.

Sorry - I guess that's probably a different conversation. Hmm, revolver vs. automatic. Do you suppose anyone has had that discussion before? ;)
having rebuilt a couple of wheel guns, I imagine one could gum up a wheel gun eventually. They aren't totally infallible.

having rebuilt a couple of wheel guns, I imagine one could gum up a wheel gun eventually. They aren't totally infallible.
Most of the Wheel guns are fairly easy to "gum up". They have a lot of parts that fit together very tight. Get some "gunk" in the works and they can become very hard if not impossible to use.
I pocket carry a lot. Both pants and coat. I am meticulous about a couple things. Nothing goes in that pocket but the gun. Even when I am not carrying there. The designated pocket is never used unless the gun is there. The designated pocket is regularly checked for clean. No lint or other crap is allowed to gather in there.
I am not a wheel gun fan but I don't try to talk anyone who is out of it. Just tell them use the same cautions I do. Don't assume the wheel gun is exempt from getting dirty and not working.

I shot my LCP II and my CW380 alternating between pistols each magazine today. The triggers are comparable. The LCP II is squared off at the top where the CW380 is curved making the LCP uncomfortable to shoot in comparison. Plus, the LCP II was difficult to hit well with. The sights are poor and have an odd sight picture. So, I don't think the LCP II is long for my collection. It is easy to rack and clean though.

I recently did two upgrades to my CW-380. There were reports in other forums about the Striker breaking in several examples. Lakeline makes a "Unbreakable" striker so I put that in mine to make it more reliable. I also added Lakeline's Stainless Steel guide rod, just because I guess.
I have trouble with my CW-380 in that it is picky about ammunition, I have plenty of ammunition it likes, but I like guns such as my LCP II that eats anything. I too found the Kahr to be easier to shoot and more accurate. Not many pocket pistols are both in my experience, but if the "Big" Glock 42 fits your pocket, I like it better than the Kahr even. I don't need a nine in that size so I'll pass on the G-43

Everyone seems to need the "latest and greatest" handgun. Sometimes a change in ammunition will make all the difference needed to improve the handgun's terminal performance. Frankly I think that Underwood's ammunition has virtually eliminated the need for the Jacketed Hollow Point in personal defense ammunition.

Well I absolutely need the latest and greatest because if I wait long something else will take it's place and then I won't be able to justify the one just past. What's the fun in that?

Well I absolutely need the latest and greatest because if I wait long something else will take it's place and then I won't be able to justify the one just past. What's the fun in that?

I'm glad you have the money to burn. I would rather use a "tried and true" handgun and employ innovations in cartridges to enhance the performance of the piece. It's much less expensive and far more efficacious.

On several occasions I have had the need for a small concealed pistol that I could carry in my pocket. For instance when I'm riding a motor cycle. I could then put it in my coat pocket.

The trouble that I am running into is something that fits me and my big ol mitts I call hands.o_O

If anyone has any suggestions I am all ears.

There are quite a few LCP recommendations for those that will be ok with a .380, but I would recommend either the new LCP II (as mentioned), or the previous upgrade, LCP Custom (with red trigger). I have the custom and the trigger is much better than the original.

I keep coming back to my Sig P230. Shame they don't import the P232 anymore. Great shooter, accurate, ergonomic, fits in the hand exceptionally. Shoots anything you feed it.

image.jpg image.jpg

Really like my Bodyguard 380. Thin and quite accurate for it's size. Extra points for the laser. Coupled with a Barsony Leather (Beaverton OR) pocket holster it's almost invisible. 6+1.

Fully agree about the Underwood Ammo and the Xtreme penetrator. I like the science.

Pics of mine and my "just getting broken" in holster: It's hard to make out but the holster has curved/conformed nicely to the right side pocket carry.

Too bad I lost the whole setup in a recent boating accident.

WIN_20170101_13_52_12_Pro.jpg WIN_20170101_13_52_38_Pro.jpg

The Underwood "Extreme Cavitator" makes both the .380 ACP and .32 ACP perform well enough to rely upon for personal defense.
Underwood only makes the 'Cavitator' for .30 Carbine and .32 Auto as far as I know. They have 'Extreme Penetrator' and 'Extreme Defender' and a lot of other choices for 380. All good, I wish they had Cavitator for 380, I have it in .30 Carbine.

I'm telling you right now, the .380 is a great beneficiary of Underwood's Extreme Cavitator/Defender. This permits the .380 to penetrate while using hydraulics to disrupt tissue. In both .380 and .32 ACP, believe me, penetration is your friend!

Smith airweight. I tried just about everything out there for a pocket carry gun before settling on the 442. My hands are larger, I just choke up higher on the grip. Could be fired from a pocket if you like, as in the movies.

There are two downsides. Capacity, and painful to shoot extensively.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top