JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Being ejected from a vehicle is not good for your health.

Indeed, it is not. I had a close relative who died precisely because of that. He was in a car crash, he wasn't buckled up, but his girlfriend was. He was ejected from the vehicle and died on the scene. The girlfriend had bumps and bruises, but is still alive. A medical doctor witnessed the event, ran to their aid, but he was already gone by the time the physician got there. :(

If that's how you want to look at the statistic. As usual, a statistic is just numbers and really the seatbelts may or may not have mattered in accidents that lead to fatalities, and may or may not have made a difference in some of the ones that didn't lead to fatalities.

Remember, for the most part statistics show a correlation. Correlation≠causation.

But there are also times when correlation does equal causation. As I remember, once seat belt laws were put into place, the percentage of car accident fatalities, even in slower moving vehicles, dropped significantly. This was even before all the recent car safety advancements.

I also remember that my parents went on many searches looking for people who were ejected from their vehicles. If they were found alive, they required a great deal of medical attention and many times did not survive long after.

But there are also times when correlation does equal causation. As I remember, once seat belt laws were put into place, the percentage of car accident fatalities, even in slower moving vehicles, dropped significantly. This was even before all the recent car safety advancements.

I also remember that my parents went on many searches looking for people who were ejected from their vehicles. If they were found alive, they required a great deal of medical attention and many times did not survive long after.
Course there will be times where its a causation with statistics.* But like I said it still ends up becoming situational, sometimes seatbelts can be a danger in accidents while in others it makes no difference.

As usual, it should always be up to the individual to do the risk factor and not the law. While I do wear a seatbelt, its not because of a law. Suggesting laws to protect the people from themselves is a dangerous slope.

*My suggestion is generally to not just look at a statistic, as people typically do in politics these days (IE: gun control), and try to get where the data comes from instead.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top