JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
A few years ago my daughter went to a High School dance with the neighbor's grandson....
The neighbor drove 'em to the dance in his cherry 57 Chevy....My daughter was surprised to see no seat belts....:D

I am not a huge fan of "Government Safety" enforced rules / laws / regulations....
That said....some at times , actually do good and make sense.
Wear your damn seat belt...it is 2018 not 1957 ...no excuse not too anymore.
Andy

Yar!

My Mom was T-boned while driving with a friend in the mid 1960's.

Had she been wearing a seatbelt at the time, in that accident, she would not be here. Rare accident type, with a good outcome.

It wasn't until the mid 1980's where she would (and still does) wear seatbelts. Primarily due to advancements made in vehicle safety. Crumple zones, and now with side airbags etc.

Shux just 3 weeks ago a dear friend of there's was T-Boned (his fault, looked left then looked right then went...). Without the current advances in technology he would likely not have survived (age & comorbidyt). No injuries with any parties, and both vehicles totaled. All parties had seat belts on.

Sorry y'all, I forgot the sarcasm emoji.

After riding on a bike for years (do not have one currently but will again someday when financial excess smiles on me again), I feel that kids (insert your age limit here - I'm not getting into that) should be the only ones required to wear a seat belt.

Yup I can feel the flaming coming.

I choose to wear mine most of the time but unless I am on the freeway or on curves in the mountains, I don't see a necessity to wear one in town under 50mph.

Most of the time it can't hurt but I do know one person (and have heard of others) that got into 2 accidents without a seat belt. The first one she was told not having a belt in saved her life. The second one she was ejected out the passenger window partially and then crushed when the car rolled over her (driving in the mountains).

I certainly don't think adults should be at risk of a ticket if they decide not to wear one.

Why do we feel the need to restrict others when it makes no difference to anyone but that person making the choice....:rolleyes:
I got the sarcasm part. Hence the latter part of the reply.

But meh, laws shouldn't be made to protect stupid.

If someone is killed because of wearing the seatbelt who will they sue?

The driver at fault. Unless you mean the car was going down the road and the seat belt just killed someone. This to me is like helmets on a bike. When I was young and dumb our state did not require them. So I road many years without one. To me if others wanted to do that now fine. If they get a head injury that would have been prevented with the helmet they should be on their own since they made an adult choice.

I've been in 5 wrecks in my life (not counting fender benders).

For sure 1 was seat belt worthy and I had it on (in the mountains).

All of the rest it honestly didn't matter as far as I can tell.

I had my belt on every time but no airbag ever deployed.

So seatbelts make the difference only half the time?

P
If that's how you want to look at the statistic. As usual, a statistic is just numbers and really the seatbelts may or may not have mattered in accidents that lead to fatalities, and may or may not have made a difference in some of the ones that didn't lead to fatalities.

Remember, for the most part statistics show a correlation. Correlation≠causation.

The driver at fault. Unless you mean the car was going down the road and the seat belt just killed someone. This to me is like helmets on a bike. When I was young and dumb our state did not require them. So I road many years without one. To me if others wanted to do that now fine. If they get a head injury that would have been prevented with the helmet they should be on their own since they made an adult choice.

I mean like when I rolled my Mazda pickup and the roof got all smashed in, over the windows even. If I had been wearing my seatbelt it very well may have held me upright as the roof smashed my head in...

I wear my seatbelt, but....

Isn't it interesting how a cop riding a motorcycle in traffic has the balls to pull over a car and write the driver or passenger for NOT wearing a seatbelt?

Sorry she put her friends and family through that.

As someone who has been there and done that, I concur. However, in my case it likely was the better alternative. And before anyone chimes in with, "well, you shoulda...", I was driving a car built in the '30s. I still have a lot of neck and back problems but flopping out the door and landing in the street was better than a banjo wheel poking through my chest cavity and my face through the windshield. I wasn't taking a selfie when it happened either.

The only problem with this is that the ratio of "better results being ejected" to "better results being belted" is like 1:1000 if I correctly remember an NTSB study on the issue. So you are lucky to be one of those one in a thousand that fared better by being ejected.

I'll take my chances with the belt as I like the better odds and I need all the help I can get!

I'm glad you fared well though, really!

Wearing a belt will also help keep you in the best position to enact evasive maneuvers while trying to avoid a potential accident in my experience.

Especially, at speed.

Why do we feel the need to restrict others when it makes no difference to anyone but that person making the choice....:rolleyes:

As long as society is on the hook to repair the damage to the injured person society has a right to require damage limiting acts to be performed by involved parties. The wearing of seat belts provides a public good in that in general and to a significant level the costs to society for repairing the damaged bodies is vastly reduced.

I'm not arguing that this is or is not a good idea here, that's a totally different subject. But as it stands now, I as a member of society bear some of the cost resulting from injured persons, and it's in my best interest to reduce those costs (read taxes, insurance premiums, productivity losses to commerce et. al.) by legislating the use of belts.

So, the injured party really is not the only one affected, there are many others.

FWIW

The only problem with this is that the ratio of "better results being ejected" to "better results being belted" is like 1:1000 if I correctly remember an NTSB study on the issue. So you are lucky to be one of those one in a thousand that fared better by being ejected.

I'll take my chances with the belt as I like the better odds and I need all the help I can get!

I'm glad you fared well though, really!
Cars are just built differently now. Primary concern is occupant safety. Use once and destroy.
It gets more ridiculous, though. Read up on pop-up hood technology if you haven't seen it yet. In some instances, manufacturers are required to protect cell phone zombies who might walk out in front of you as well.

Cars are just built differently now. Primary concern is occupant safety. Use once and destroy.
It gets more ridiculous, though. Read up on pop-up hood technology if you haven't seen it yet. In some instances, manufacturers are required to protect cell phone zombies who might walk out in front of you as well.

Right you are ... so there is even more reason to stay in the car. It provides high levels of protection in the vast majority of times. Being belted keeps you in the vehicle and keeps you from becoming a secondary projectile within the vehicle.

I'd rather throw away a car than throw away a body part!

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top