JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
As a kid before I was in the US Army, I'd heard veterans talk about the practical jokes in the barracks and cadre hazing, etc.

I was reminded of one of the mindless episodes of my own service lately when I was selecting a belt. Because of changes in my body shape over the years, mostly I wear suspenders with trousers these days. But I have a few pairs of trousers that do fairly well when held in place by a belt.

When I first joined the army, we were wearing bright brass belt buckles with dark navy almost black web woven waist belts. I think it was around the middle of 1969 when the US Army decided on subdued this and that parts of the uniform. The belt buckle was one such. I have one belt buckle left from that time. Below is the bright brass buckle that I was issued in basic training, much scratched up from low-crawling and so on. Much polished in its time but not lately. We still retained the bright buckle for Class A uniform and khakis but I didn't keep any of those.

P1180323.JPG

When we went to subdued buckles on the fatigue (work) uniform, below is an example of what was handed out:

P1180324.JPG

However, when I was posted at the Presido of Monterey, one day I walked into town to one of those military stores that used to flourish off-post from army forts. I went into this store, and found a subdued belt buckle. And this is where the problem started. What I bought was this:

P1180325.JPG

Basically what it is, is a black painted version of the older, brass, bright buckle. I liked the design because it worked the same way as the old one. I had no problem wearing this buckle at Monterey. Maybe because it was a joint service type school, plus foreign nationals were in the ranks. There were even grizzled SF guys there learning Hmong or whatever, I'd never seen uniforms like they were wearing. Nor did I again after that. However, I next went to Fort Huachuca, AZ and that's where the trouble began. Right away, I got braced by an NCO for wearing this buckle. The rather one-way conversation went something like this, "Whattayou think you in? The (F-word) -ing Coast Guard? Get rid of it." That happened a couple of more separate times. I quietly put it away.

Okay, then I got to my next duty station in CONUS. There were several companies in the battalion I was sent to. When I reported to the battalion personnel sergeant, he spoke these words: "Boy, I'm gonna send you to the (N-word) company" and I knew this meant trouble. And it did. In my company, there was a very rare (at the time) black captain in command, also a black first sergeant and a black field first sergeant. I will avoid the politics of this, but I will say that the major civil rights legislation of the 1960's wasn't very long in effect yet and some attitudes were dying hard. The Good Old Boys at battalion HQ gave all of us in the company, black and white, as hard of a time as they could. Including calling me out for wearing my (C-word) cap in a way that they didn't like. I'd grown a within-regulation moustache; the battalion personnel officer braced me and ordered me to shave it off. I trimmed it on the ends, just because. The next day when I was at battalion HQ, this same officer jumped me big time, whereupon I shaved the moustache completely off. Later, my company commander asked me what happened to the 'stache (he had one also) and I innocently told him what had happened at battalion HQ. He went through the roof, this caused a major pissing contest between the two captains. The upshot of it was the bn. pers. officer had stepped on my CO's toes by ordering one of "his people" to lose the 'stache, etc, etc. The moustache was never a problem thereafter, but in this attitude of contention, I decided not to introduce the belt buckle as a possible match to gasoline.

Once I got to my overseas assignment, I discovered that's where the real army started. With exceptions like the Berlin Brigade, the Seventh Army Honor Guard, some other hard-A units, etc., something like this was rarely an issue. Nobody ever again cared when I wore this buckle. Including a few general officers. Which got repainted a few times. When my army and later ARNG days were over, I still wore this buckle off and on with blue jeans.

The 9th Infantry Regiment had a special buckle...
( My first unit in the Army )

You earned it after doing a 25 mile road march.
You could wear it when assigned to the 9th...and supposedly afterwards when assigned to a different unit.
However....that was not the case in my experience....
I may or may not have gotten more than a few gigs for wearing it.... :eek: :D

That said...I still have the buckle and am proud of earning it.
Andy

Last Edited:
I may or may not have gotten more than a few gigs for wearing it...
Oh yeah, "gigs," I'd forgotten that term. Never heard it later in the ARNG, doubt the Guardsmen knew what it meant.

The "Gig Line" was having your trouser zipper, belt buckle and shirt seam all in alignment. Gigs for pockets unbuttoned, hands in pockets, pencil in pocket, etc. I'd forgotten all that CS.

Gigs for lack of haircuts, shaving, uniformity infractions and so on were supposedly "morale" issues. I wonder if the Ukrainian Army sees it that way. Meaning, is their fighting capability degraded from having beards, different uniform items, etc.

Oh yeah, "gigs," I'd forgotten that term. Never heard it later in the ARNG, doubt the Guardsmen knew what it meant.

The "Gig Line" was having your trouser zipper, belt buckle and shirt seam all in alignment. Gigs for pockets unbuttoned, hands in pockets, pencil in pocket, etc. I'd forgotten all that CS.

Gigs for lack of haircuts, shaving, uniformity infractions and so on were supposedly "morale" issues. I wonder if the Ukrainian Army sees it that way. Meaning, is their fighting capability degraded from having beards, different uniform items, etc.
No. That is peacetime military posturing. When a war starts, performance outweighs appearance, except with the clowns that rose to the top during peacetime. It takes a while (much too long) to weed out those types. Most are not lost in combat, because those types are not the sort to lead from the front, to put it nicely. :rolleyes:

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top