JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I truly like shooting steel! Snap the legs off and it all comes home. Cans just don't make that sweet ring either!

This is just in general and not directed at you Sgt N.

I'm slowly building my steel target collection - that stuff can get expensive:confused:. I do enjoy shooting it very much.

I don't shoot trees or make a mess of the forest and I am not advocating breaking the laws that are in place for those people that ruin it for everyone.

However, a can that is in the recycle bin makes a great target and goes right back into the recycle bin when I get home (with some ventilation holes in them).

When I have a plethora of steel targets to shoot, I probably will phase out a lot of the "homemade" targets I use; until then though, I'm stuck with what I can make do with.

I'm not saying that everyone picks up after themselves like I do, and maybe I'm part of the problem; I'll take my chances on a ticket though as I have talked myself out of plenty in the past and most LEO are very reasonable if confronted with a rational person.

Hopefully I can have enough steel targets and hangers by next summer that I'll be on board the no cans train as well.;)

I don't have a very large set of steel targets either. Just a resetting .22 spinner and a few homemade gongs. I make up the difference in variety by setting them up at what,for me, is waaaay far away. I do like to go to my club and shoot warm cans of diet grapefruit soda, a very satisfying explosion and diet grapefruit deserves to die anyway! This is ok at ARPC, just take it all away!

A little off topic, but I saw dumped sofa, TV, washers/dryer on my way to work. I have a had time understand why people do that. A lot of stuff can be recycled and some may not even be good to go to the garbage dump, so I think some recycle places may just take them for free.

But seriously, mudders do a tremendous amount of damage.

I'm 100% for mudding, if that's what you want to do to your rig:rolleyes:, but there should be "designated" places to tear up OUR lands.

That's the problem there aren't any places!! I love taking my 77' Chevy out and playing. They need to make a place like jones creek atv area on larch, with miles of trails with hill climbs, mud holes rock climbs the whole spectrum of 4x4ing.
I don't really like the idea of having to go to power line roads, private or public timber land but that's all we have. I'd even be willing to pay a fee to do it, if they actually used the money to build and maintain areas like that but it's the gov. they would waste it like all the other programs.
Stacy

OK Stacy.
Here is a project for you and friends who mud;:)

"START" the process of getting a place designated.:s0022:

It'll be Easy.............:)

Actually, it'll be a pain in the a**, dealing with all the govt. entities involved, but it CAN BE DONE.:s0054:

Talk with some friends:s0055:See if they will help.

I'd be behind you 100%:s0155:
That's the problem " dealing with govt. entities " but it couldn't to try maybe I'll try calling DNR since that's who manages that particular area. Thanks for the thought!

All the Portland whacks come out to the woods to shoot and just leave their brass lay. Fine with me. Picked up almost a 5 gallon bucket last time up there, took it to a reloader friend and got a couple boxes of ammo for it. Keep leaving it there, I go up there about every 2 weeks now. Give the grandson a dollar to help me pick it up.

Regarding the original post about Pittsburgh Rd. outside Vernonia.....last time I went there to shoot it was heavily posted and most of the trash had been picked up, but that was a while ago, maybe back in October. I have found a better place on other private property.

And just when I though 'we' might have it a little better over on this side I go to one of my regular places close to my house to test out my new rifle and discover some (insert adjective) had dumped a pile of tires! And I don't mean a few cleaned out of someone's shop but like 50-60! AND another interesting thing is a 2nd hand tire shop recently opened in LaPine.......

And just when I though 'we' might have it a little better over on this side I go to one of my regular places close to my house to test out my new rifle and discover some (insert adjective) had dumped a pile of tires! And I don't mean a few cleaned out of someone's shop but like 50-60! AND another interesting thing is a 2nd hand tire shop recently opened in LaPine.......
Is this the pile? Found it today west of day rd. Or do we have a serial tire dumper on our hands. I sure would love to catch somebody doing this.

20150401_173330_zpsxfziab9t.jpg

Today I made a drive up Pittsburgh Rd, near the junction of Scappoose/Vernonia Hwy and Hwy 47. My plan was to do some hiking and plinking at one of my favorite rock pits. My plans were altered in a big way. I have noticed a small increase in the amount of junk left behind at the rock pit but today what I saw blew me away. Broken bottles, shotgun shells, toys, computers, propane tanks, etc etc. All left behind by people too inconsiderate and lazy to clean up after themselves. I'm on vacation and I can think think of a lot better ways to spend my time but instead I spent about 3 hours cleaning up somebody elses mess. Unfortunately I don't have a truck or the funds to dispose of the mess so I had to leave it behind for someone else to haul away.
What I picked up absolutely disgusted me. The kids toys with bullet holes left behind will only teach your children that's it's ok to make a mess and leave it for someone else to deal with. Supposed outdoorsmen and women who love the outdoors only to leave it a mess when you're done using it. People with no consideration for others leaving their garbage behind will only lead to these areas being shut down, ruining it for others. The irony in the situation is that I used about 4 garbage bags that were left on the ground by others to put a lot of the garbage in.
I'm not posting this because I want a pat on the back. I'm hoping that others will see this and think twice about leaving their targets, shotgun shells and brass laying around the next time they go out.

:D NWFA Volunteer Members and guests, partnered with the USFS, the ODF, local LEO's and merchants - ARE doing something right now!

Through the vision and leadership of NWFA Administrators and Volunteer Members, we are united in an effective, direct approach to combating unsafe, unlawful - and just plain disgusting behaviors :mad: on our Public Lands.

Check out this link to see what's up:https://www.northwestfirearms.com/threads/clean-up-mt-hood-national-forest-april-11th.193765/
https://www.northwestfirearms.com/threads/clean-up-mt-hood-national-forest-april-11th.193765/
:rolleyes:

Before I make myself into the bad guy, let me start off by saying that I normally clean up after myself. In fact I often clean up after other people. On the other hand, if the place is already a "shooting pit" filled with targets, I've been known to leave my can of mountain dew with the rest of them.

Now, to play devil's advocate (warning: the devil's advocate is a bit sarcastic and antagonistic ;)
Explain to me the HARM done by leaving soda cans, broken glass, and a busted up TV (which I'm sure was a blast to shoot) in your favorite gravel pit.

The one thing that seems valid to me is that it's not politically correct. Now I hate political correctness like most of you probably claim to, but in this case, if we piss off the hippies our shooting spots get closed. There you go. A good reason to clean up after ourselves. But...

The anger and vitriol directed at these evil soda-can-leavers seems to be a bit out of proportion to this basic argument. People want them arrested, shot at, and even hung according to this thread. We need to avoid sharing good spots on public forums of like-minded people because they might be those evil can-leavers?

https://www.northwestfirearms.com/t...g-spot-1-2-hr-west-of-hillsboro-on-26.199018/

Ooops. My bad. I didn't realize we were supposed to be suspicious and hateful. I thought maybe we could be a community of outdoor and shooting enthusiasts. My mistake. Let's be secret sportsmen, instead.....

Anyhow-
There must be a more deep-seated aversion to these little impromptu garbage/target pits. So is it an environmental thing? Are we imagining the deer coming to their favorite gravel pit for a nice gravel meal, but all the good rocks are covered up with our trash?

It seems to me that a gravel pit is of no more use to wildlife than a parking lot, or dare I say a gravel road. It's just something to cross or skirt so as to stay out of the open and get to where the food/water is. Now, let's say there's a bunch of cars parked in the parking lot. Doesn't change a thing for the deer. Wasted space, moving on.

Now, heaven forbid instead of big pieces of metal, plastic, and glass, parked there, it's all broken up into pieces and full of holes. My opinion? The deer still doesn't care. It's just not land the deer is going to miss because we have some holey tin cans on it.

Are we then going to stoop to worrying about a deer cutting itself on a piece of glass? Is that the best we can come up with? They're not blind. There are no glass booby traps and it's not like it's a wildlife highway.

I really DON'T understand how up in arms people get about a gravel pit becoming a usefully dirty gravel pit. Sure, there are pigs, and idiots, and people that will go too far, but I don't see the harm in some 2 liters and a few soda cans. Free targets for the next shooter. No harm to anything except a few environmentalist's brain aneurysms.

Don't they believe in global warming, or illiteracy, or failing economy, or sex trafficking? Why so up in arms about 2000 square feet of dirty shooting pit? My guess? It's not about dirt. It's about shooting. It's their soapbox from which they will close down another public area to sportsmen and shooters. And half of you seem to be on their side.

Regards

Last Edited:
Stealth X makes several good points, so I suggest that the focus be on finding ways to make it easier to clean up.
For my part I bring two items for shooting.
1. ) A trash bag for my garbage
2.) A blue tarp laid out to help catch my casings. It is easier on the eye to find and easier on your back to clean up.

I am sure others have good ideas as well

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads