JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I'll admit, on a few occasions I left some trash(shotgun shells/targets) behind before, but only because the range was hot and couldn't wait for the range to go cold to pickup my shells/targets. But whenever I pickup trash, I always pickup more than just what I brought to make up for the times I didn't pickup my trash.

I am just tired of seeing trash left around.

The one and only time we shot a microwave, we brought it back home and put it in place of the functional one, so that my friend's girlfriend would be confused and irritated when she woke up.

I have brought home so many shotgun shells, that I've probably filled my trashcan 8 times with nothing but 12ga hulls. Don't think of it as an environmental issue... Think of it as protecting your ability to shoot at some of the great spots we have available. I see tons of yellow steel fences on the side of the highway blocking off places that I used to shoot, and wonder if I could have done a better job cleaning up, if they would still be usable to us.

Hmm. A new, indirect tactic just occurred to me. Tell the tweakers who would normally be stealing cable and what not that there is tons of scrap metal out there. They'll grab it all up to turn it in for meth money and the place will be clean(er).

It probably wouldn't work, but the thought amused me.

elsie

there is tons of scrap metal out there.
It worked for a while over here, sort of, there isn't a .22 shell to be found on the ground in some of the popular shooting areas. Now that all the brass is gone it will take a while before it becomes profitable again. But the issue really isn't brass - it's the rest of the worthless trash.

Brown trash too. A couple weeks ago a coworker, his son and I were on our way to a favorite spot East of Sunriver. He was a few minutes ahead of me and he called me to tell me there were a bunch of Mexicans squatting in our spot and he would meet me a short distance down the road. I passed by the spot and it was a gaggle of pine cone pickers with crap all over, makeshift tents out of plastic tarps and an old couch by the fire pit. It looked like a depression era camp from The Grapes of Wrath. I called the Forest Circus and they were aware of permitted pickers in the area but told me he would send someone out to check on the appearance of the camp. While not exactly shooting related trash the effect is the same. I have not been back since that day but I might take a ride out there tomorrow. I guarantee the tarps and old couch would have probably been left had I not called it in - and may still be for all I know. If I see any trash I will call the FS back and put in my 2c worth! We always leave this place spotless, and have picked up or burned other peoples trash when we find it but normally this place is kept fairly clean.

best way to clear em' out is empty a few clips of .45 down the road a few hundred feet. Way better more effecient than callin INS or the FS. granted they may leave a few things behind :p

best way to clear em' out is empty a few clips of .45 down the road a few hundred feet. Way better more effecient than callin INS or the FS. granted they may leave a few things behind :p

Did you really just say the underlined word? Come on man...

The idea is that we want everybody to pick up their crap. If they are scared off, and leave a ton of stuff behind, it is now you who has created a trash problem. Depending on circumstances, they could even call the authorities on you.

I think RVTECH did it right, and expressed his concerns in the right manner.

I think RVTECH did it right, and expressed his concerns in the right manner.
I think so and it was not my intent to 'clear them out' as the were there legally I just wanted to let the FS know who was making the mess because had they left (and left the mess) it always seems the 'Outdoorsman' (or dimwitted locals) get blamed. What really bothers me however is the aforementioned suggestion of:
best way to clear em' out is empty a few clips of .45 down the road a few hundred feet.
Yes, this method would not doubt be very effective, have broad-based acceptance with legal and responsible gun owners, probably no ridicule from the anti's and no legal ramifications. Yep, we should always resort to discharging firearms to 'clear them out'

Heck one time I went up there and there was about a 15 fiberglass boat I called it in they said they were already looking into about three weeks to a month later if I remember correctly the boat was dragged down the road and in a few more pieces. Another time I was up there a state cop stop by and told me that that was private property owned by a logging out fit and most of everything alone that road was and shooting was not allowed so she had me pack up and leave she was nice about it.

Yup, there is only one legal rock pit to shoot at on that road. As pointed out to me by the Stater that patrols it,,,

So I was out shooting yesterday and found a nice little spot. Basically a spur off of a secondary road where they have dug berms to prevent passage. I noticed it because of the fire ring, the ply wood set up for shooting and the typical shot up crap.

So I cleaned up the area, scattered the fire ring and then shot for a while. I stashed the plywood and steel for the next time and left the place pretty clean. Now when you drive by you wouldn't think camping or shooting range. I'm convinced that when people see trash they either will shoot more there or add to the trash. Stealth is the key.

It annoys me to no end when I go out there and see more and more trash.
The one that got me was a few weeks ago, I first passed a with the seasons current fire warning no open flames of any kind, must have a shovel/sand or fire extinguisher.. Then I passed a young couple on my way up the hill to my favorite spot and watched him posing in front of his young girlfriend, she totally lost stared as i drive by. I laughed and just said "good for him, taking his woman out"..

Well about an hour and a half later I came down the hill and he/she had dumped their ash tray (was still smoldering) in a pile along with their ammo boxes, targets and all the hauls and spent cases (30-30) that clearly wasn't there when I drove up.

Its the burning cigarettes and extra littering that got me.. Throwing his damn spent ammo boxes on the ground, really? Absolutely no class. Im all about freedom, but when your dumb lazy actions jeopardize my ability to go to my favorite public shooting area.. At that point yes, Im going to go to sheriff john brown and rat you out.

I thought to myself, I should really take a photo of the license plate of every car I pass on the way up there (once I turn onto salmonberry road) just in case.. And this would have been one of those situations.

We spend every summer camping in the Tillamook Forrest and we run in to this all of the time. I couldnt tell you how many bags of garbage I have picked up. The Rangers are nice enough if you grab them they will haul it off. And to be honest I don't understand why all these people think every trail is a bathroom either. Anymore its getting so bad I don't want my kids around it.

Last year I found a spot where someone was shooting bottles in the river. Alot of broken glass and spent shells. I think I picked up atleast 100 pieces of brass in the water. Do they honeslty think that shooting glass bottles in the water isnt an issue?

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

My son cut his foot on some glass when we were boating on a local waterway. Did not need stiches but was pretty bad for a weekend of fun. Well local kids decided they were going to shoot up bottles when the water was down..... do people really think these days I do not think so....

Society today believes that if they just leave it there someone else will pick it up for them:rolleyes:

Remember, shooting bottles and cans is ILLEGAL on National Forestlands. If you see someone doing this, please report them.

1. No person shall place targets on trees or shoot trees for any purpose.
  2. No person shall shoot across, from or along any road, trail or body of water.
  3. No person shall shoot carelessly, recklessly, or without regard for the safety of any person, or in a manner that endangers, or is likely to endanger, any person or property.
  4. Persons engaged in target shooting shall remove from National Forest System land all shell casings, targets, and other debris resulting from their use.
  5. No person shall shoot targets other than those commercially manufactured for the specific purpose of target shooting, except for paper targets privately manufactured by the person or people engaging in target shooting.
  6. No person shall shoot glass of any kind, appliances, furniture, vehicles or other debris determined to be garbage or refuse by an enforcing officer.

I shoot cans all the time and I do not feel guilty about doing so...

I realize there are rules against it but it's what I grew up shooting and still enjoy it immensely. Especially with .22's.

However, I always clean up what I bring plus whatever else I can pick up and can fit in the bags.

If someone is just shooting cans, leave them be and hope they will clean it up.

Bottles, microwaves etc. I can see turning in those guys.

Just my two cents...

I shoot cans all the time and I do not feel guilty about doing so...

I realize there are rules against it but it's what I grew up shooting and still enjoy it immensely. Especially with .22's.

However, I always clean up what I bring plus whatever else I can pick up and can fit in the bags.

If someone is just shooting cans, leave them be and hope they will clean it up.

Bottles, microwaves etc. I can see turning in those guys.

Just my two cents...

Understood - I felt the same way, but switched to shooting steel targets. Just as fun so far. I still shoot cans on the family farm.

Bottom line is our National Forestland is public and not intended for shooting trash and blowing stuff up. Better to do that on your own land.

I have several ranges I built near me. I shoot any target I want, once I shot different size glass bottles full of water to measure the size of the vaporized spray from such an object. The only evidence I left behind was wet ground.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top