JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Today I made a drive up Pittsburgh Rd, near the junction of Scappoose/Vernonia Hwy and Hwy 47. My plan was to do some hiking and plinking at one of my favorite rock pits. My plans were altered in a big way. I have noticed a small increase in the amount of junk left behind at the rock pit but today what I saw blew me away. Broken bottles, shotgun shells, toys, computers, propane tanks, etc etc. All left behind by people too inconsiderate and lazy to clean up after themselves. I'm on vacation and I can think think of a lot better ways to spend my time but instead I spent about 3 hours cleaning up somebody elses mess. Unfortunately I don't have a truck or the funds to dispose of the mess so I had to leave it behind for someone else to haul away.
What I picked up absolutely disgusted me. The kids toys with bullet holes left behind will only teach your children that's it's ok to make a mess and leave it for someone else to deal with. Supposed outdoorsmen and women who love the outdoors only to leave it a mess when you're done using it. People with no consideration for others leaving their garbage behind will only lead to these areas being shut down, ruining it for others. The irony in the situation is that I used about 4 garbage bags that were left on the ground by others to put a lot of the garbage in.
I'm not posting this because I want a pat on the back. I'm hoping that others will see this and think twice about leaving their targets, shotgun shells and brass laying around the next time they go out.

garbage.jpg

well you deserve a pat on the back :s0155:
I drive a k5 blazer and usually come home with a fair amount of trash. The local LE agency lets me put it in there dumpster. And the bottles and cans sometimes cover the cost of fuel. you did a good thing.

Today I made a drive up Pittsburgh Rd, near the junction of Scappoose/Vernonia Hwy and Hwy 47. My plan was to do some hiking and plinking at one of my favorite rock pits. My plans were altered in a big way. I have noticed a small increase in the amount of junk left behind at the rock pit but today what I saw blew me away. Broken bottles, shotgun shells, toys, computers, propane tanks, etc etc. All left behind by people too inconsiderate and lazy to clean up after themselves. I'm on vacation and I can think think of a lot better ways to spend my time but instead I spent about 3 hours cleaning up somebody elses mess. Unfortunately I don't have a truck or the funds to dispose of the mess so I had to leave it behind for someone else to haul away.
What I picked up absolutely disgusted me. The kids toys with bullet holes left behind will only teach your children that's it's ok to make a mess and leave it for someone else to deal with. Supposed outdoorsmen and women who love the outdoors only to leave it a mess when you're done using it. People with no consideration for others leaving their garbage behind will only lead to these areas being shut down, ruining it for others. The irony in the situation is that I used about 4 garbage bags that were left on the ground by others to put a lot of the garbage in.
I'm not posting this because I want a pat on the back. I'm hoping that others will see this and think twice about leaving their targets, shotgun shells and brass laying around the next time they go out.

Heck one time I went up there and there was about a 15 fiberglass boat I called it in they said they were already looking into about three weeks to a month later if I remember correctly the boat was dragged down the road and in a few more pieces. Another time I was up there a state cop stop by and told me that that was private property owned by a logging out fit and most of everything alone that road was and shooting was not allowed so she had me pack up and leave she was nice about it.

Yeah no joke the spot I usually hit up people are always leavin crap around.. the worst was an old styrofoam cooler..
If ya pack it in, pack it out.

If thats the worst you've seen, consider yourself fortunate. Like coyoteman, i've seen an old boat, in addition to the styrofoam coolers AND plastic coolers, spray paint cans, a pickup canopy, 5-gallon buckets of questionable origin, the usual broken glass and shot-up beer cans, destroyed forest road signs, folding furniture, camp fuel cannisters......its really disgusting. It goes way beyond typical campsite litter left in or near fire pits, i recently drove past a blocked off logging road that had massive amounts of garbage spread all along it for at least 200 yds. Thank you, THANK YOU, for picking up all that crap.

+1..pack it in, pack it out

nwwoodsman,

Thank you for taking YOUR time to pick up this mess.

I too pick up what others leave behind, makes me sick that these IDIOTS can't help themselves.

Also, this is another GOOD reason NOT to post those little "honey hole" spots where you go shooting at on a public forum. I had to drive around and find a nice spot to go shooting, let someone else find their own spot.

Thank you again.

Stay Safe.

I've seen it in different areas where I shoot as well. I always take a bag or two to pick up others trash. I bag it up and haul it off but it really pisses me off.

These people bring a whole new meaning to white trash.
Brown trash too. A couple weeks ago a coworker, his son and I were on our way to a favorite spot East of Sunriver. He was a few minutes ahead of me and he called me to tell me there were a bunch of Mexicans squatting in our spot and he would meet me a short distance down the road. I passed by the spot and it was a gaggle of pine cone pickers with crap all over, makeshift tents out of plastic tarps and an old couch by the fire pit. It looked like a depression era camp from The Grapes of Wrath. I called the Forest Circus and they were aware of permitted pickers in the area but told me he would send someone out to check on the appearance of the camp. While not exactly shooting related trash the effect is the same. I have not been back since that day but I might take a ride out there tomorrow. I guarantee the tarps and old couch would have probably been left had I not called it in - and may still be for all I know. If I see any trash I will call the FS back and put in my 2c worth! We always leave this place spotless, and have picked up or burned other peoples trash when we find it but normally this place is kept fairly clean.

hillbillys would rather buy another 12 of bush beer for the cost of going to the dump! lets realise that smart and people with class are not doing this , its the "trash" !

Maybe I am trying too hard but I have never understood the basic mentality of wanting to leave trash around in public areas. If a persons' self esteem is so diminished as to do this then everything in their life must be the same - just a place to dump their trash (regardless of what the 'trash' may be) Am I putting too much psychology into this? I am horizontal on the couch - please help!

Have you tried talking to these people? The typical response is it is their right, they can do it, because it is their "free will" choice to be a lazy piece of crap.

In reality, they're just a uncivilized, uneducated subset of society. Unfortunately being poor for most people means you're never taught any morals, ethics, or just how to be a decent person, these people just don't care and I can't blame them, because it really is a society problem.

And some of these people you can't even educated, they're just too stupid, because of their upbringing. Only thing we really can do is "manage" it, we could crack down, but if the jails and the number of probation violators are an indication, these people just keep doing it.

I always bring home more than I took with me. I never take glass to shoot only paper, metal, plastic or clay pigeons. It is not only the targets left behind, but all the empty shells and brass along with all of the steel cases. I guess because its steel you don't have to pick it up after it has been fired it will just rust away and disappear right.

I have seen many places shutdown because of them, its takeing away from all of us. It is destruction of public and private land, There is always at least one pair of jeans and soiled underwear, what give? they trash the place then crap themselves? And after hunting season is weeks over there is a few caracas's in thrash bags here and there , people that do this a just plain morons with no morality or class . The sad thing is that they no what they are doing but dont care. And they are breeding. just a great example for there offspring to follow "just throw it on the ground when yer done wid it" .

I don't mind if they leave there brass for me to pick up, but they need to pack out the rest of there garbage, including shotgun shells.

This is why i am happy we have our own private shooting range, because there is no one to bother us and leave trash behind.

We even pick up 22 LR brass for scrap, every bit adds up to cash in my pocket.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top