JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have it in my head to do a wood accented AR with some walnut elements (pistol grip, part of stock, and fore grip) and the thought crossed my mind to use a thompson style forward grip, but I pretty much only see AFGs and VFGs and the forward pistol grip isn't very common. Is there a reason why they aren't more popular other then Magpul doesn't make one?

I have it in my head to do a wood accented AR with some walnut elements (pistol grip, part of stock, and fore grip) and the thought crossed my mind to use a thompson style forward grip, but I pretty much only see AFGs and VFGs and the forward pistol grip isn't very common. Is there a reason why they aren't more popular other then Magpul doesn't make one?

Ergonomics when shooting a rifle like a rifle is probably the most common. Second is that yeah, magpul doesn't make one yet.

Personally if making wood AR furniture, I would go with A1 style myself - that is triangular handguards and the A1 stock. A1 furniture is the sexiest furniture, and lets one shoot well off hand or prone and supported, without a bipod. :D

Thompson forward pistol grips are fine for hip shooting and action movie stuff - and maybe to help control muzzle climb on full auto. I think that's why forward pistol grips are not real popular.

They're not "Operator" enough anymore either - you're supposed to drive your arm all the way out, wrap your thumb over the barrel, and "drive" your gun now, while operating the selector switch with your beard :D

They're not "Operator" enough anymore either - you're supposed to drive your arm all the way out, wrap your thumb over the barrel, and "drive" your gun now, while operating the selector switch with your beard :D
Beard still? I thought all the WarpSpeedNoDrags were doing it with Tactical Dick Extensions now... :p

Ergonomics when shooting a rifle like a rifle is probably the most common. Second is that yeah, magpul doesn't make one yet.

Personally if making wood AR furniture, I would go with A1 style myself - that is triangular handguards and the A1 stock. A1 furniture is the sexiest furniture, and lets one shoot well off hand or prone and supported, without a bipod. :D

Thompson forward pistol grips are fine for hip shooting and action movie stuff - and maybe to help control muzzle climb on full auto. I think that's why forward pistol grips are not real popular.

I'm not sure what you mean by your first sentence, but for the furniture my vision is closer to this:
Zombie-2.jpg
Mostly black but with wood accents. I'm leaning away from the thompson grip, the more I look at it the more uncomfortable it looks for shooting standing from the shoulder. Currently thinking more of a second 1911 style grip.

As for "Operator" status, high speed low drag this build is not, although recoil should be minimal and balance should be improved with the steel lower receiver and stock.

I think your response hit the nail on the head RE my first sentence - ergonomics - how comfortable and natural something is to the human body. Forward pistol grips have a place - but if you are shooting from a standing, off hand position, most pistol grips will not be as comfortable as the old school method of gripping the forward end of a rifle, that being palm up under the fore end, with one's arm bent and the elbow tucked in. When I rotate my hand over into the position as if I were gripping a pistol grip vs just supporting the rifle with my palm, I feel more tension in the wrist, it's immediately less comfortable, and that's just placing my hands in that position - not actually holding up the weight of a rifle. Of course the angle of the grip would have some to do with comfort - but in general there's comfortable ways to hold and fire a gun, and then there's "cool" ways to do it, and the two don't always mesh :D I think that's why forward pistol grips are not terribly common these days. And like you said in the OP - MagPul doesn't make one so it's not "in". Other companies do make polymer pistol grips to clamp onto a pic rail, or forward grips that change angles. I've tried running MagPul's angled fore grip to see if it made a difference - it was uncomfortable and put strain on my wrist that made the gun less controllable. it got sold. If I were running a really short barreled gun like an AR pistol, I would probably put a minimalist hand stop at the front of the rail and call it good.

Forward grips on rifles do have a place and purpose - but they make more sense on a fun switch equipped gun to control muzzle climb. That is no doubt why the original Tommy Gun had one. They can look cool -like all the other stuff folks hang off their gun - but feel and functionality are sometimes questionable.

Right now, I'm finding the sharply raked AFG on my Mk 18 fits my hand better than the broomstick on my fullsize.

Mkwerx, you might take a look at FAB's PTK--the Magpul is about 45-degree rake, the PTK is just enough off horizontal to support the palm in a C-clamp grip. It's interesting to note that the FBI authorizes PTK but not Magpul AFG for its tactical units...

Right now, I'm finding the sharply raked AFG on my Mk 18 fits my hand better than the broomstick on my fullsize.

Mkwerx, you might take a look at FAB's PTK--the Magpul is about 45-degree rake, the PTK is just enough off horizontal to support the palm in a C-clamp grip. It's interesting to note that the FBI authorizes PTK but not Magpul AFG for its tactical units...
I might have to pick one of those up for my sub2000, the gen2 hand guard is a little too slim.

I might have to pick one of those up for my sub2000, the gen2 hand guard is a little too slim.
Will, don't pay full price--if you PM me your address, I'd be happy to let you borrow mine and try it out (you'll need Allen wrenches), and then if you like what you see I'll let you know the next time Mako Group drops a 20%-off or better coupon. (Last year, I think they did 40 for NRA Annual Meeting, but because their website was having problems with my browser I had to phone in the order; also, you can sometimes save a bundle by buying OD Green instead of black or FDE.) Works even better with their VTS thumbrest mounted on the 3 or 9 o'clock rail--which is admittedly not a "pure C-clamp" grip but may work better for some folks.

If you try 'em and like 'em, I suggest you mark where the crossbolts are for best fit with painter's tape (or take photos) until your own come in.

Will, don't pay full price--if you PM me your address, I'd be happy to let you borrow mine and try it out (you'll need Allen wrenches), and then if you like what you see I'll let you know the next time Mako Group drops a 20%-off or better coupon. (Last year, I think they did 40 for NRA Annual Meeting, but because their website was having problems with my browser I had to phone in the order; also, you can sometimes save a bundle by buying OD Green instead of black or FDE.) Works even better with their VTS thumbrest mounted on the 3 or 9 o'clock rail--which is admittedly not a "pure C-clamp" grip but may work better for some folks.

If you try 'em and like 'em, I suggest you mark where the crossbolts are for best fit with painter's tape (or take photos) until your own come in.
I wasn't planning on paying full price, I was going to get one of the clones on fleabay to see if I liked it or just wait for a good sale I'm not in a hurry.

In between a Broomstick and a TSMG, then.

Indian Creek Design makes an AR15-to-1911 grip adapter, maybe they could make you a rail-mount version.
Yeah I've seen those, they're where I got the inspiration for both of the grips above, but I'm planning on actually fabricating both of those. They're part of a Steel AR project I'm working on that I have a thread about it over in the Gunsmithing forum.
Winter Projects, Steel ARs

Handguard idea: You could drill a 1" hole down the middle of a baseball bat, then slot it for the FSP/gasblock/tube. :) Not sure how you'd secure it in place and keep it from turning, but might give that wood look nicely... damn heavy to be sure, but it'd be in keeping with the wood-and-steel character.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top