JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I often hog hunt in TX. I have hunted 3 different ranches over the past 8 years or so, all deer or exotic animal ranches. I've never paid to hunt hogs there as they're a nuisance and tear up the planted corn which is meant for the game.

I have generations of family there (both parents and one side of wife) going back to before they were a state. I guess that may help but I'll say this - I've been offered plenty of huns by just sitting in a bar and drinking Shiner Bock with the poke next to me and that has nothing to do with family.

Texas has very little public lands. I know of no public lands that can be hunted ( perhaps there are some? Never even inquired) It's always private. And just about everyone I've ever met in TX hunts. Here in OR.... one in 10, maybe. One in a zillion in PDX. That's just 'weird' to me (snicker)

My advice? Get some friends in TX then offer to bring them here to hunt elk. Quid pro quo is the basis of many fulfilling friendships imo.

Here is a link to a story about the wild hog infestation in the U.S. as can be seen on the map, they're making their way into central OR. Maybe look deeper into those particular communities for information.

Way out of control — feral pigs

Good luck, OP

Pigpocalypse Oregon is an outdated story:

The state has managed over the past decade to cut the population — through trapping and aerial hunting — from more than 3,000 to less than 200. The remaining swine are roaming the vast wilderness of Central Oregon and the open terrain along the California border.

By
Kyle Spurr

The Associated Press

BEND, Ore. (AP) — On a rugged hillside south of Antelope, wildlife biologist J.D. McComas spent two nights last week waiting to shoot a feral pig that was destroying nearby farmland.

Each night, McComas drank coffee to stay awake as he used night-vision equipment to spot the pig in the darkness. But it never showed.

Hunting the last of the feral swine in Oregon takes patience.

McComas, a Madras-based wildlife biologist with the United States Department of Agriculture Wildlife Services, was assigned to lead Oregon's effort to eradicate the invasive feral swine species in January 2017.

About a decade ago, the feral swine population in the state grew to more than 3,000. The pigs are one of the most dangerous invasive species in Oregon and cause damage to agricultural crops and fish and wildlife habitat.

Through aerial hunting from helicopters and corral trapping, the population has been reduced to less than 200. The remaining swine are roaming in the vast wilderness of Central Oregon, from Madras to Shaniko, and in the open terrain along the California border.

Finding the stragglers takes long nights of hunting and corral trapping in the remote terrain, McComas said.

ODFW Oregon Invasive Species - Feral Swine

Just how much of our hard earned dollars do you think they blew on this 34 pages of toilet paper???

https://www.dfw.state.or.us/conservationstrategy/invasive_species/docs/feral_swine_plan.pdf

"Eradication of feral swine in Oregon is estimated to require a four-year, $1.29million effort."

Sure does seem like it would have been much more economical to just say "No Limit on any hogs seen on public land."

Status: prohibited in Oregon where they are considered a predatory animal *on private land. On public land, they are considered non-game and non-protected

ORS 610.002: "Predatory animal" or "predatory animals" includes feral swine as defined by State Department of Agriculture rule, coyotes, rabbits, rodents and birds that are or may be destructive to agricultural crops, products, and activities, but excluding game birds and other birds determined by the State Fish and Wildlife Commission to be in need of protection.

Last Edited:
This subject was addressed in quite a lengthy thread about 6 years ago or so on this site with the following points (some by yours truly):

1) The manufactured "feral pig crisis" in Oregon was a political tool used against Clover Creek Ranch (and its proprietor Clark Couch) in their campaign against high fence hunting in Oregon. Clark beat 'em in court at least once but they kept up the harassment campaign.

2) So much so, that if you went to the ODFW website, they had to borrow a picture from Wisconsin (and laughably credit them for it) of a feral pig.

3) They did manage to succeed in prohibiting him from raising Russian Boar. Before this happened, I hunted the Clover Creek Ranch twice with bow and arrow for Russian Boar only. I hunted hard both times for 3 days over this huge ranch of some VERY rugged terrain, saw Boars every day but never killed one. I am strongly against "canned hunts" and a few of my partners shot some hogs there which I considered not sport in the least. Trying for a shot at a Russian was, however, a very humbling and exhausting experience.

4) ODFW was blatantly hypocritical in their persecution of Clark Couch. ODFW operates to this day a sanctioned high fence hunt for elk (Starkey Experimental Forest). Likewise their overblown concern about "non-native" species is without foundation since they promote and cultivate Ringneck Pheasant, Hungarian and Chukar Partridge.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top