JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Paper clips?

why? Do they have 4x4 and bigger engines?

Because they are used in oil fields, construction, logging, etc. - so they are subject to harsher duty.

And yes, they have 4x4, 4x6 (usually two rear tandem driving axles and a non-driving front steering axle), 6x6, dual steer (two front steering axles) and other interesting configurations.

In the rest of the world, truck and lorry are interchangeable.

Semi is not slang, but a contraction, it's a type of truck/lorry - Semi-articulated truck/lorry. It can only be a tractor-trailer setup, that's the articulated part :D

Or pickup truck? Naw, too many words. When I was growing up, it was always called a pickup. Now, when I hear people refer to their such vehicle, they say, "truck." Trucks for example might be what my dad's friend had. Two each one and a half ton bobcat flat beds that he hauled alfalfa on. Both Jimmys, one about 1946 and the other about 1956. Both cab-overs. There was no confusing those for pickups.

My dad owned several pickups that I remember. A 1936 Ford, two 1956 Fords, a 1963 Ford, a 1969 Ford Torino Ranchero (which wasn't really a pickup either), and lastly a 1979 Ford. I guess we can't count a 1947 Ford panel truck because although it was a light truck, it had an enclosed body. By the way, back in those days, Ford didn't call their truck line as such, there were referred to as "commercials." I used to drive the '36 Ford to high school sometimes. Big, long gearshift lever that stuck up out of the floor. Fairly small bed on that one.

Henry Ford is said to have invented the pickup by adapting a small cargo box onto the back of a Model T roadster chassis in the 1920's. But like everything else, someone else less famous may have actually done it earlier. When I was a kid growing up in my hometown in the 1950's, I used to see a number of Model A coupes whose owners had removed the rumble seat lid and installed a home-made cargo box in the hole. Usually, some old guy was driving it. Still stinging from the Depression. And hence made their own pickup. I once saw a 1949 Lincoln Cosmopolitan pickup. That's right, home made. The rear half of the sedan body had been cut off and replaced with a welded steel box.

Speaking of trucks, the real deal that is. Mrs. Merkt and I drove over to Spokane to visit her sister about a month ago. Once we got over the mountains, I started seeing more sets of double trailers. Now those are real trucks and the guys who drive them usually real truck drivers. Like hay trucks come to mind. I'm not a truck driver but I think of truck driving skill as being easily measured by backing ability. Drivers who can back a double properly have my admiration. One of the things in my charge before I retired was a loading dock. I had trucks coming in off and on all day. Anything from short trucks to 53 foot trailers. When a 53 footer came in, a good driver could stab it in there in one sweep. Another driver, one with less skill, might take six or seven attempts to get it in. I know that axle placement on a long trailer is important but good drivers take this into account too.

I don't own a pickup or truck. I have an old Ford station wagon that I use for hauling. If something won't fit in the wagon, it has a hitch on the back and I will rent a trailer. Because I don't much want to store and pay the state a license fee for something that mostly sits. I won't brag too much about being a single axle trailer-backer, either. When I pull a trailer, I try to do it in a one-way direction if possible.
Lotta words, how bout "rig" to describe whatever coveyance you happen to be sporting on any fine and given day.

Don't mind me, I'll just sit over here with my small western star. :rolleyes:

68E9172F-43F4-4A50-873C-A177FBE2CC1D.jpeg

I've an hankering for a small flat bed vehicle for a while. Maybe one based on a compact SUV like the old CJ5 series. Not terribly family practical, to be sure, but quite practical for my needs, which is hauling small loads without needing to use a van or similar ;)

In all seriousness though... a flat bed S10 or similar is probably the smallest highway legal one I can get :rolleyes: Those little Japanese 4x4 cabover flatbeds would be awesome if highway legal but as they aren't.. oh well.

Otherwise. A 4 door half ton vehicle makes sense for the amount of gear and supplies. Could be a truck. Could be a pick up. Definitely not going to be a semi or tractor :p

Edit. A 4 door cab Jeep FC/cabover on the Gladiator length chassis would probably make for an awesome vehicle to have both fun and practicality.

Last Edited:
Whatever you call them, doesn't matter to me; but growing up on the farm, this was a pickup:

1571027722011.png

And this was a truck:

1571027615373.png

These are just some photos off the internet (not mine), but the same year and make as what we had as one time or another. The 2-ton Chevy truck we eventually converted to a silage truck. We had to lengthen the frame to add a PTO driven silage bed, and it was awkward because it was so long, but it worked.

Last Edited:
I've always liked old pickups. For the last few years, I've had a 1964 International.

Edit:
I call them trucks, pickups, pickup trucks, rigs... but I call this one Bobbie.

View attachment 624361

View attachment 624362

View attachment 624363

View attachment 624364
GORGEOUS '64 IH. My family had an International Harvester franchise when I was growing up and we sold a ton of these babies. When I was a "lot-boy" I washed lines and lines of IH light-line vehicles (Scouts, Travelalls, pickups). We called 'em "pickups" back then. Your pics brought back a lot of good memories. Thanks for posting them.:)

GORGEOUS '64 IH. My family had an International Harvester franchise when I was growing up and we sold a ton of these babies. When I was a "lot-boy" I washed lines and lines of IH light-line vehicles (Scouts, Travelalls, pickups). We called 'em "pickups" back then. Your pics brought back a lot of good memories. Thanks for posting them.:)

You're welcome. Very nice to hear about your history with IH. Don't think I've ever heard the term "lot-boy" before. Must've been fun for a kid to be involved there.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews