JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I do recall "tractors" coming from "Traction Engines" during the Industrial Revolution... bout the same era?

Roughly late 19th century (late 1800s) when it was used with mechanical power. Modern usage as "tractor-trailer" came about 1916.

Truck on the other hand was used back as early as the 16th century, when they used horse and human powered carts to 'truck' something (e.g., goods from a farm to a city).

Tractors/semis essentially serve the same purpose as a 'truck', and the manufacturers are truck manufacturers and often use the words interchangeably, but when it gets down to configuration specifics, they do divide up the end product as truck or tractor.

Haha, literally contractions - full name is pickup truck, in the UK, it's a pickup truck or contracted to pickup, as using the contraction, truck, is too general and then shares it's name with, say, an actual truck.

Pickup being the type of truck.

Anyway, it seems common here for "opposite" contractions, such as, "semi" truck used here, Vs "artic" used in Britain - again, the type being used, Vs the assumed.

Roughly late 19th century (late 1800s) when it was used with mechanical power. Modern usage as "tractor-trailer" came about 1916.
From wiki tho wiki being editable... :rolleyes:
The word tractor was taken from Latin, being the agent noun of trahere "to pull".[1][2] The first recorded use of the word meaning "an engine or vehicle for pulling wagons or ploughs" occurred in 1896, from the earlier term "traction engine" (1859).[3]

Traction engines were around before Civil War; due to steam engines being developed in the first 50 years of the 1800s...

Hmm guess we both right :s0108:

I've only ever owned F250's, going back to the 1970's, so generally refer to my own stuff by the model name...."I'll bring the F250 and we can throw that stuff in the back". Commercial heavy duty stuff I generally refer to as trucks. If the truck is part of a piece of equipment, then rig. I think that started in the 70's working oil and gas, we had portable drilling 'rigs' mounted on trucks for drilling injection holes. One sees similar with water well 'rigs'. Some people refer to a truck hauling/towing a load as a 'rig'.
The other day some people likely scratched their heads seeing an old guy loading roof drip edge onto the bike rack on his old Mustang in the HD parking lot. I use it as a 'truck' too. Haul lumber, metal, whatever I can strap to that bike rack. Not a truck though, or a pickup, or a rig.:cool:

I come from a rural, farming background. We used pickups and semi trucks on a daily basis for work. My experience is that people who use them for work call them pickups. I don't think I've ever heard another farmer refer to a pickup as a truck.
Calling a pickup a truck seems to be a city person thing.

people refer to said trucks as their "rig"

When my cousin lived in rural Utah, folk there referred to them as their "outfit."

I have a red truck with a 700 pound capacity and single axle... oh, its a hand truck.. oh, those are dollies?

Eons ago when I worked in the retail liquour business after my high school classes, my boss called it a "two wheeler." He was from Chicago.

Thank you.

As for the M151, as with anything, what the military calls something and what the industry (manufacturers, dealers, professional users) calls them may be two different things.

Exactly. "Truck, comma." Years ago, a captain in our section mocked this form of military jargon and when referring to objects, would often add, "Comma, skid mounted."

I don't think I've ever heard another farmer refer to a pickup as a truck.
Calling a pickup a truck seems to be a city person thing.

Especially modern, Yuppie-types who are plonking down $75K for a massive new Diesel unit they will never haul more than an ice chest in. Maybe calling their it a truck makes them feel more manly as opposed to their staring at a computer screen all day at work.

Hey, you know something's gone wrong when you see a new pickup with the name, "Lincoln" on the back. Factory made, that is. And no matter how many doors you add onto it, eventually you're gonna run out of bed. I laugh at those big pickups with the very short beds on them.

1570999897336.png

A pickup has a bed.
A truck is a semi

Nope

Lol!!
A pickup is what you buy at the Chevy ford dodge or Toyota dealer.
Trucks are semis. Or a tractor-trailer.
And I'm a medical sales reps with zero trucking jobs in my past

Then what's a semi?

I explained this in several previous posts.

A 'semi' is slang for a tractor-trailer 'rig'. A tractor does not carry the cargo, but pulls a trailer that carries the cargo/load. In the industry, often "truck' is used to refer to both trucks and tractors, but when it comes to the formal configuration/specification/orders for these vehicles, a 'truck' is a configuration where the load is carried in or on a bed that is part of the vehicle as opposed to a tractor. When the dealer/buyer/builder orders a truck they specify a truck, when they want a tractor they specify a tractor - they are two different configurations and part numbers. This is what I get paid to know and facilitate as part of my job.

That said, all of the manufacturers are known as and refer to themselves as 'truck' manufacturers. Ditto with transport companies - they refer to themselves as being in the "trucking" business.

I explained this in several previous posts.

A 'semi' is slang for a tractor-trailer 'rig'. A tractor does not carry the cargo, but pulls a trailer that carries the cargo/load. In the industry, often "truck' is used to refer to both trucks and tractors, but when it comes to the formal configuration/specification/orders for these vehicles, a 'truck' is a configuration where the load is carried in or on a bed that is part of the vehicle as opposed to a tractor. When the dealer/buyer/builder orders a truck they specify a truck, when they want a tractor they specify a tractor - they are two different configurations and part numbers. This is what I get paid to know and facilitate as part of my job.

That said, all of the manufacturers are known as and refer to themselves as 'truck' manufacturers. Ditto with transport companies - they refer to themselves as being in the "trucking" business.
That's the best explanation I've ever heard. And I agree with it.
The tractor definition is what I always forget

And Freightliner TRUCKS on swan Island builds exactly what? :D:p

Freightliner trucks and tractors are not built on Swan Island - only Western Star "trucks" are built there. Freightliner trucks and tractors are mostly built on the east coast (N. Carolina).
DTNA (Daimler Trucks N. America) is what is on Swan Island - they bought Freightliner and Western Star years ago.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top