JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Or pickup truck? Naw, too many words. When I was growing up, it was always called a pickup. Now, when I hear people refer to their such vehicle, they say, "truck." Trucks for example might be what my dad's friend had. Two each one and a half ton bobcat flat beds that he hauled alfalfa on. Both Jimmys, one about 1946 and the other about 1956. Both cab-overs. There was no confusing those for pickups.

My dad owned several pickups that I remember. A 1936 Ford, two 1956 Fords, a 1963 Ford, a 1969 Ford Torino Ranchero (which wasn't really a pickup either), and lastly a 1979 Ford. I guess we can't count a 1947 Ford panel truck because although it was a light truck, it had an enclosed body. By the way, back in those days, Ford didn't call their truck line as such, there were referred to as "commercials." I used to drive the '36 Ford to high school sometimes. Big, long gearshift lever that stuck up out of the floor. Fairly small bed on that one.

Henry Ford is said to have invented the pickup by adapting a small cargo box onto the back of a Model T roadster chassis in the 1920's. But like everything else, someone else less famous may have actually done it earlier. When I was a kid growing up in my hometown in the 1950's, I used to see a number of Model A coupes whose owners had removed the rumble seat lid and installed a home-made cargo box in the hole. Usually, some old guy was driving it. Still stinging from the Depression. And hence made their own pickup. I once saw a 1949 Lincoln Cosmopolitan pickup. That's right, home made. The rear half of the sedan body had been cut off and replaced with a welded steel box.

Speaking of trucks, the real deal that is. Mrs. Merkt and I drove over to Spokane to visit her sister about a month ago. Once we got over the mountains, I started seeing more sets of double trailers. Now those are real trucks and the guys who drive them usually real truck drivers. Like hay trucks come to mind. I'm not a truck driver but I think of truck driving skill as being easily measured by backing ability. Drivers who can back a double properly have my admiration. One of the things in my charge before I retired was a loading dock. I had trucks coming in off and on all day. Anything from short trucks to 53 foot trailers. When a 53 footer came in, a good driver could stab it in there in one sweep. Another driver, one with less skill, might take six or seven attempts to get it in. I know that axle placement on a long trailer is important but good drivers take this into account too.

I don't own a pickup or truck. I have an old Ford station wagon that I use for hauling. If something won't fit in the wagon, it has a hitch on the back and I will rent a trailer. Because I don't much want to store and pay the state a license fee for something that mostly sits. I won't brag too much about being a single axle trailer-backer, either. When I pull a trailer, I try to do it in a one-way direction if possible.

What's worse is when people refer to said trucks as their "rig". Sonny Pruitt drove a "rig". Maybe I should post that in the pet peeve thread. :cool:

Soda or pop?
Potato or po-tot-o?
Wife or ol' lady

People from different areas calls things different names.

I don't care what people call it, unless they are calling a Honda Ridgeline, chevy avalanche, ford sport trac or the like a truck.

I've always liked old pickups. For the last few years, I've had a 1964 International.

Edit:
I call them trucks, pickups, pickup trucks, rigs... but I call this one Bobbie.

A87A704D-7DEF-412C-AB8C-2A4E19109DFA.jpeg

F4AB99C3-F9E3-462E-8325-FDCDE322C369.jpeg

0913AFDC-8773-4531-A936-60C928C281FD.jpeg

BA9DFC27-FC5C-4D17-AFAC-3037DE3A7945.jpeg

Last Edited:
Trucks can be small or huge. Light or heavy.

They are generally a vehicle with a space separated from the passenger/operator compartment, the separate space specifically meant to haul cargo. I own two trucks. One is a small Toyota 4x4 pickup. The other is a larger Dodge 4x4 flatbed. I use them both on my property, mostly to haul tools and firewood.

What some people think of as trucks, are more properly referred to in the industry as tractors (often called semis) - being a vehicle meant to pull a separate cargo trailer - usually via a fifth wheel hookup.

I work in the industry - class 6 trucks and tractors and up.

So yes, a pickup is a truck - sometimes called a "light truck".

They are generally a vehicle with a space separated from the passenger/operator compartment, the separate space specifically meant to haul cargo.
Thatd put the M151 Truck, Utility 1/4 ton at odds, and put the now commonly seen Side by Side ATV/UTVs into the same category as trucks, although John Deere's Gator utility tractors also have a similar setup with a separate cargo space :rolleyes:

But if one were to accept the notion that the word truck came from a bastardization of tractor (tract); maybe? Eh. Nah. I aint a linguist nor an etymologist :p

I do accept that a pickup can be any vehicle with a cargo bed and a cab, while a truck can be anything with either an exposed cargo deck or trailer fittings (semis/tractor trailer/specialized vehicles for towing or taxiing large aircraft)

And yes, the wording does make a difference; when you order a Truck from Freightliner/Western Star or Mack or Paccar, they will specify a truck on the order. You want a tractor and they will specify a tractor. That is the nomenclature used by the industry and in the configuration when they make the order

Thatd put the M151 Truck, Utility 1/4 ton at odds, and put the now commonly seen Side by Side ATV/UTVs into the same category as trucks, although John Deere's Gator utility tractors also have a similar setup with a separate cargo space :rolleyes:

But if one were to accept the notion that the word truck came from a bastardization of tractor (tract); maybe? Eh. Nah. I aint a linguist nor an etymologist :p

I do accept that a pickup can be any vehicle with a cargo bed and a cab, while a truck can be anything with either an exposed cargo deck or trailer fittings (semis/tractor trailer/specialized vehicles for towing or taxiing large aircraft)

Trucks may or may not have the cargo bed exposed. A lot of trucks have an enclosed bed - they are called 'box trucks' and are more common than flatbeds:

-m2-24-foot-box-white-used-box-truck132383460307-0.jpg

Then there are "gliders" which are typically a rolling chassis - they typically have no engine or transmission, sometimes no cab. These are meant to be sold to someone who wants either to transfer the powertrain from another truck or wants to build something from the chassis up (e.g., RVs, buses).

As for the M151, as with anything, what the military calls something and what the industry (manufacturers, dealers, professional users) calls them may be two different things.

As for the origin of the words, I am pretty sure truck came first (late 18th century) as it was used before trucks were powered by mechanical means.

In the Northeast they say "pickup truck"
So there's that.

:)

Yes - pickup truck, box truck, flatbed truck, dump truck, garbage truck, fire truck, water truck, concrete mixer truck, asphalt truck, vac truck, pump truck, crane truck, wrecker truck, and more that I am not remembering off the top of my head. Except for the first three, the rest are what is called vocational trucks - i.e., meant for a specific 'vocational' usage. The first three are general purpose trucks.

Vocational trucks are usually made by "body builders"; often the major truck manufacturer delivers a powered cab/chassis and the 'body builder' adds on whatever 'body' and other mechanicals are needed for the specific purpose the truck is used for.

Other smaller truck manufacturers build their trucks (or tractors) mostly from the ground up, but often use drivetrains from major manufacturers.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top