JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
In laws got em .
I wouldn't dare to ask where.

We ate some with razor clams for dinner tonight. Good flavor matchup
I understand...figured it might worth a shot. Should'a known better. ;)
We used to go up to Snoqualmie pass when I was a kid, but things have changed a lot since those days.
Mom found a spot not far from here and worked it for years.
She liked it because it was close by and she couldn't get lost there.
Pope came in and harvested all the trees a few years ago, though, so that one's gone now too.
..before the deforestation, we could do pretty good on a good year....

102913-2.JPG 102913-5.JPG

Second picture is my mom's hand between two of the largest one's we found that day.
It was fairly wet that year, though. I doubt I'd bring home anything close to that this year.
If the second half of October turns out to be fairly wet, I might have some luck next month.

Last Edited:
I understand...figured it might worth a shot. Should'a known better. ;)
We used to go up to Snoqualmie pass when I was a kid, but things have changed a lot since those days.
Mom found a spot not far from here and worked it for years.
She liked it because it was close by and she couldn't get lost there.
Pope came in and harvested all the trees a few years ago, though, so that one's gone now too.
..before the deforestation, we could do pretty good on a good year....

View attachment 1290947 View attachment 1290948

Second picture is my mom's hand between two of the largest one's we found that day.
It was fairly wet that year, though. I doubt I'd bring home anything close to that this year.
If the second half of October turns out to be fairly wet, I might have some luck next month.
We got a couple of them dang things way back just after Mt Hood Ntnl Forest started requiring permits. Those damn mastsutaki hunters were ruining the forests to get them. And send them to some Asian country. I cooked the tow we got...little butter, salt pepper. I though they tasted like I remember my old grandmas unfinished basement smelled! Meh.

We got a couple of them dang things way back just after Mt Hood Ntnl Forest started requiring permits. Those damn mastsutaki hunters were ruining the forests to get them. And send them to some Asian country. I cooked the tow we got...little butter, salt pepper. I though they tasted like I remember my old grandmas unfinished basement smelled! Meh.
Yeah, I gotta wonder about the commercial pickers sometimes.
It's all about the $$$ with them.
Best way I found to cook Matsutake is to wash it, slice it into sections maybe 1/4"-1/2" thick. Roast them over a fire on a grille.
Use Soy Sauce for a dip.
Pretty much the only way I'll eat it.
Mom used to like cooking them with steamed rice.
Matsutake Gohan. I could never do that one.

Yeah, I gotta wonder about the commercial pickers sometimes.
It's all about the $$$ with them.
Best way I found to cook Matsutake is to wash it, slice it into sections maybe 1/4"-1/2" thick. Roast them over a fire on a grille.
Use Soy Sauce for a dip.
Pretty much the only way I'll eat it.
Mom used to like cooking them with steamed rice.
Matsutake Gohan. I could never do that one.
Maybe you guys have special places? Only thing I know is if there are matsutaki's there is also hoards of crazy m-effer's! I'll just keep to my chanterelles, and a few others that we luck into sometimes in the same areas, and call it macaroni!

My father (avatar) got US into mushroom hunting when I was a teen. Probably because of the Boletes and Suillus that were all over Yellowstone NP. There aren't many types of edibles in Utah! :D But we had giant puff ball on occasion, Pleurotus, and some Agaric's. Dad hunted the heck out of Pleurotus in he fallen cottonwoods, that were all over the Wasatch Front in Utah. He bottled them. He was crazy for that bubblegum!

Maybe you guys have special places? Only thing I know is if there are matsutaki's there is also hoards of crazy m-effer's! I'll just keep to my chanterelles, and a few others that we luck into sometimes in the same areas, and call it macaroni!

My father (avatar) got US into mushroom hunting when I was a teen. Probably because of the Boletes and Suillus that were all over Yellowstone NP. There aren't many types of edibles in Utah! :D But we had giant puff ball on occasion, Pleurotus, and some Agaric's. Dad hunted the heck out of Pleurotus in he fallen cottonwoods, that were all over the Wasatch Front in Utah. He bottled them. He was crazy for that bubblegum!
All the mushroom pickers I've known (aside from the commercial pickers) have always had their "secret spot(s)" and that info is only revealed to family.
Otherwise, it goes to the grave with them.

I knew an old Japanese woman that was a very good Matsutake picker.
She picked near Crescent Lake OR
4000 - 5000 ft elevation
There are certain trees the Matsutake forms a symbiotic relationship with.
Mr. Google says...Douglas fir, Noble fir, Shasta red fir, Sugar pine, Ponderosa pine, or Lodgepole pine.
That narrows it down :rolleyes:
We sometimes hunt elk in that zone. There are areas we avoid due to the huge camps the mushroom hunters erect and the nearby woods are full of pickers, which sends the elk elsewhere. My buddy says they are after Matsutakes. He's kinda my mushroom guide and he doesn't really like Matsutakes that much (something about eating a pine cone). We did find some chanterelles in the Melrose unit yesterday, but not very many. That's the only kind I've ever picked.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top