JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Checked a few areas yesterday. Nothing yet. Spent most of the day taking down marking tape.

I found the first chantrells of the year yesterday, not alot but enought for a taste! Come on rain!
Don't want exact location, basics of where? We hunt the coast range straight West of potland. Probably going to get out there next Friday. It's become tougher every year it seems being so close the crap-hole.

Im.in the santiam canyon. There is some really good pick up this way.
Very nice. Never did too well up in The Cascades. Seemed coast Range was always better. NOW, up in the Mt Hood forest they have deemed about half of it the only places you can legally take mushrooms. Seems like every creek has a wide zone where you can't pick mushrooms. You have to have a free permit, which last time we checked, you couldn't get online. You had to wait until a ranger station opened at 8-9:00 am. or something like that to get the permit. You can't hunt mushrooms in camp grounds. We got confronted years ago by a ranger patrolling the Riley horse Camp campground who gave us a hard time for looking for mushroom in the camp ground. And it was closed! That's why I don't bother going East any more to forage.

Very nice. Never did too well up in The Cascades. Seemed coast Range was always better. NOW, up in the Mt Hood forest they have deemed about half of it the only places you can legally take mushrooms. Seems like every creek has a wide zone where you can't pick mushrooms. You have to have a free permit, which last time we checked, you couldn't get online. You had to wait until a ranger station opened at 8-9:00 am. or something like that to get the permit. You can't hunt mushrooms in camp grounds. We got confronted years ago by a ranger patrolling the Riley horse Camp campground who gave us a hard time for looking for mushroom in the camp ground. And it was closed! That's why I don't bother going East any more to forage.
Ya I stopped picking and digging mushrooms/truffles commercially years ago just for those reasons. There are a few small family owned timber companies in this area that open there ground up. Some is walk in some is drive in, but they allow you to pick. This year's weather hasn't been the best and looks like we have some warm weather coming so it'll probably be a less than desirable season

Ya I stopped picking and digging mushrooms/truffles commercially years ago just for those reasons. There are a few small family owned timber companies in this area that open there ground up. Some is walk in some is drive in, but they allow you to pick. This year's weather hasn't been the best and looks like we have some warm weather coming so it'll probably be a less than desirable season
I was thinking that rain we got was doing better than we have for the last several years? (Open to correction :D ) I'd heard of a shant or two being found in totally dry ground. Certainly not anything to fill a bag, but those things come up with or without rain, just not very many without it. We have usually been at the coast from mid Sep to the first week of Oct and there are always some Lobster up there with very little, if any, rain.

Fascinating, those truffles. A gal friend of mine bought one of these...
1696179566203.png
And figured all she had to do was play with it using some truffle oil, and then going where a book says truffles grow, and get-a-bunch! She hasn't even been able to train the Lagotto to "Stay" or "Come" properly! :s0114:

Hope you get a bunch eventually. I don't even eat much of them, love to give them away to folks that cherish them though. Wifey will only eat them begrudgingly. But she loves to hunt 'em!

On good years I have spots you can fill 5 gallon bucks in just a few hours. So far I've found a hat full. It's more of the hunt for me and getting the kids out picking too.
Only 5 gallons? :D Two of those best spots have been ruined/discovered.

I was out and about yesterday mainly to shoot some guns and decided to take the long way home leaf peeping and just enjoying being in the woods. Looks like deer-camp setup was in full force with most every spot you could stuff a trailer full. Gone are the days of driving up the night before and sleeping in the back of the truck to be ready to hunt at day break. Also it looks like the 20 something Flower People have discovered Elderberries so every posted no trespassing clearing right off the sides of the roads had pickers in them. I guess the signs don't mean anything for the self entitled. I didn't think to look for Chantrelles because I was trying to avoid people while looking for a safe place to shoot.

I was out and about yesterday mainly to shoot some guns and decided to take the long way home leaf peeping and just enjoying being in the woods. Looks like deer-camp setup was in full force with most every spot you could stuff a trailer full. Gone are the days of driving up the night before and sleeping in the back of the truck to be ready to hunt at day break. Also it looks like the 20 something Flower People have discovered Elderberries so every posted no trespassing clearing right off the sides of the roads had pickers in them. I guess the signs don't mean anything for the self entitled. I didn't think to look for Chantrelles because I was trying to avoid people while looking for a safe place to shoot.
Seems early for rifle hunterers...I know today is the last day of archery season. I've also had berry pickers up by my place and your right they have no consideration for private property.

Seems early for rifle hunterers...I know today is the last day of archery season. I've also had berry pickers up by my place and your right they have no consideration for private property.
Opening day for Western Buck General Rifle Season is next Saturday. So those that bring all that keep getting earlier and earlier to get the prime choice spots, you know like the BLM stock pile sites I like to safely shoot in.

So those that bring all that keep getting earlier and earlier to get the prime choice spots, you know like the BLM stock pile sites I like to safely shoot in.
That always looked so great to me! We used to see hunting camps set-up in The Tillamook when we went mushroom hunting out there. The deer hunting part didn't look like fun. The camping part looked like fun!

I fear the Matsutake won't be much this year. August was very dry. I'll still go out and take a gander, though. Good to know the Chanterelles are starting to pop up, though.

I fear the Matsutake won't be much this year. August was very dry. I'll still go out and take a gander, though. Good to know the Chanterelles are starting to pop up, though.
I only ever had one opportunity to sample a Matsutake. That was a single with a barely open cap, the time I was chastised by the ranger in the closed campground. Since then I believe the law has changed and non-commercial picker must slice their Matsutake to prove they're not selling in the crazy-market. I kind of figured anything Matsutake means a bunch of crazy people, some with guns, hunting the damn things. No thanks! Besides, I recall the one that I tried tasted like my grandmas old basement smelled.

I only ever had one opportunity to sample a Matsutake. That was a single with a barely open cap, the time I was chastised by the ranger in the closed campground. Since then I believe the law has changed and non-commercial picker must slice their Matsutake to prove they're not selling in the crazy-market. I kind of figured anything Matsutake means a bunch of crazy people, some with guns, hunting the damn things. No thanks! Besides, I recall the one that I tried tasted like my grandmas old basement smelled.
...I think I'm going to start calling you Richard.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top