JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
He's just a year old but he's a big boy (67lbs.) We begin search dog training this fall and I wanted to ask your thoughts and comments. What are the best qualities of a bug out dog? Let's see yours.

IMG_0537.jpg

Flat coated retrievers are great dogs. My dog was a flat coat/border collie mix but he looked just like yours except for having a white streak on his forehead and white feet. He was pretty smart, although after I taught him to play chess he still fell for "fool's mate" a few times and he only beat me twice. I suspect he cheated when he sent me to the pantry to fetch him another biscuit.

A bug out dog?
Hmm how much can he carry?

+1 We train my GWP (German Wire-haired Pointer) with a pack. Another positive to this is that in the beginning they tire out quickly but in the long run they build stamina. A dog pack w/ 2 Nalgene's filled with water works nicely.

Here is our search & tracking dog after he successfully found me on a 30 minute track. I got all "cammo'd up" and hid...and hid well. I called my son on the radio and told him to locate me with the pup. My whole family is learning how to work with the dog and it was my son's turn. During the track my wife even tried to get this pup distracted and off course but he "Charlie Mike" anyway in spite of this distraction. This pup found me with ease and I was so well buried in the brush my family walked by me on numerous occasions.
tracker.jpg

Anyway our dog does both tracking and searching and is gifted at both air and ground scenting naturally. Most dogs are natural at air but not ground. This breed tends to do both naturally. He is two this month and 127 pounds. He is training for evidence searching and human tracking. When you say "searching" then in K9 vernacular that means searching for inanimate non-living artifacts or evidence. Tracking implies looking for living beings. This guy does both. He understands English commands and now were working on his German commands.

We've invested many hours in training this dog and I don't know how many classes and private lesson's we've had but it is a bunch! It is worth it.

This fall he'll be mature enough to start his sentry and self defense training although much of this he is doing naturally now. He is a loving and friendly guy as long as you're inside his Circle of Trust (pack). Outsiders he is not overly warm and needs a family member to introduce them to our pack. These dogs are used in the south to hunt hogs and Mtn Lions. They can turn it on if necessary. He is a valuable member of our team.

It is fun to work with our dog huh Doc!

BoonerStandingEaster2011.jpg
At one Year old! Just learning obediance off leash.

My dog's family tracking and hunting hogs!
CurHog.jpg

You may need to adjust the type of women in your black book. The right woman beats a dog anyday of the week.

Average marriage is 7.8 years of nagging, boredom, lies, deception.

"The one charm of marriage is that it makes a life of deception absolutely necessary for both parties."

"Between men and women there is no friendship possible. There is passion, enmity, worship, love, but no friendship."

"How can a woman be expected to be happy with a man who insists on treating her as if she were a perfectly normal human being."

- Oscar Wilde

Average lifespan of a dog 12.8 years. Unconditional friendship, love and support. You are #1 and always will be till death does you part.

My personal preference for a bug out dog is my toy poodle. Seriously. He weighs all of 7 lbs, eats hardly anything, drinks hardly anything, has poops the size of tootsie rolls, and he barely ever sleeps. He also never barks....that is until someone comes to the door at night, or is in the yard. Then all hell breaks loose and he lets me know on no uncertain terms that there is an intruder. He is hyper-alert and full of energy. I dont need a dog that bites someone, I need a dog that wakes me up so that I can decide whether or not they need to be bitten and with which gun.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top