JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I would bet >5%

I will say though that in two months difference from my license number to my father n' laws there was 12,000,000 of a gap.

His was 6,xxx,xxx mine: 18,xxx,xxx I doubt that's helpful but who knows where they get the numbering system from.

My google-fu didn't turn up anything. Maybe a public records request would work. You're looking for summary information not a list of individuals.

I recall a newspaper article recently that said there are approximately 150,000 carry permits issued in the state.

Our population is about 3,825,000 people...so that means that about 3.9% of the population has a carry permit.

but in WA it's about 10% of the population that is legally allowed to have a CPL. I got my figures from the state licensing board and a google search of the population figures. WA has over 287,000 licensed to carry.

On edit: those figures are about a year old now.

Deen
NRA Benefactor/Recruiter
WAC member
SWWAC member

Perhaps this will help. It came from oregonconcealedcarry.com. I'm not sure of the original source.
________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Percentage of Adults w/Carry Permits in "Shall Issue" States

I am reproducing in its entirety a post by Ken Grubb which appeared this morning on the PA-CCW mailing list. This ranks each of the "shall issue" CCW states by the percentage of adults who have a permit to carry a concealed firearm.

After crunching through the 2000 Census and 2003 Census estimates, the numbers in Chris Bird's Fourth Edition "The Concealed Handgun Manual", some official sources online which are a little more current, and filling in a few gaps from a 1998 CCRKBA report, the winners are:

Percent of Adults with a License to Carry in each Shall Issue State

7.45% South Dakota
6.79% Indiana
6.76% Pennsylvania
5.23% Connecticut
5.12% Washington
4.34% Idaho
4.10% Utah
3.86% Oregon
3.45% Tennessee
3.15% Alabama
2.72% Florida
2.71% Kentucky
2.67% Wyoming
2.41% Maine
2.18% Arkansas
2.11% Virginia
1.94% West Virginia
1.76% Arizona
1.75% Oklahoma
1.70% Montana
1.70% Michigan
1.62% Texas
1.39% South Carolina
1.34% North Dakota
1.00% North Carolina
0.86% Mississippi
0.62% Louisiana
0.58% Nevada
0.45% Minnesota
0.36% Missouri
0.33% Ohio
0.20% Colorado
0.17% New Mexico <-- Slight correction 12/22/04, per Ken Grubb

Honorable mentions go to Georgia and New Hampshire. These are "old wave" Shall Issue states--IOW, pre Florida. Because issuance is scattered among many local agencies, no one in either Georgia or New Hampshire is collecting statewide numbers on how many folks are packing. Seems reasonable to place 'em somewhere between the two statistical extremes among the other "old wave" states (South and North Dakota). However, if I were a bettin' man I'd put 'em near the top, and probably above Washington.

Total licensees among the Shall Issue states (excluding Georgia and New
Hampshire):

Total population living in True Right To Carry states (Alaska and Vermont):
1,267,925 (0.44 percent)

Total population living in Shall Issue states:
185,039,207 (63.75 percent)

Total population living in May Issue states:
81,350,620 (28.03 percent)

Total population living in No Issue states:
22,588,641 (7.78 percent)

Ken Grubb
Bellevue, WA
________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

By the way, Hey, I'm RRooster and I've been lurking for a bit and this is my first post.

I have seen statistics recently that claim there are about 3 million individuals in the US today with carry permits. You can probably google that to find the source.

With 300 Million Americans that is about 1 %. The Outlaw Biker gangs have a patch that says 1%er for their really bad dudes. Nice to know the good guys have 1%ers too. :s0114:

Perhaps this will help. It came from oregonconcealedcarry.com. I'm not sure of the original source.

Percentage of Adults w/Carry Permits in "Shall Issue" States

I am reproducing in its entirety a post by Ken Grubb which appeared this morning on the PA-CCW mailing list. This ranks each of the "shall issue" CCW states by the percentage of adults who have a permit to carry a concealed firearm.

After crunching through the 2000 Census and 2003 Census estimates, the numbers in Chris Bird's Fourth Edition "The Concealed Handgun Manual", some official sources online which are a little more current, and filling in a few gaps from a 1998 CCRKBA report, the winners are:

Percent of Adults with a License to Carry in each Shall Issue State

5.12% Washington

Honorable mentions go to Georgia and New Hampshire. These are "old wave" Shall Issue states--IOW, pre Florida.

Ken Grubb
Bellevue, WA

By the way, Hey, I'm RRooster and I've been lurking for a bit and this is my first post.

a "shall issue" state since 1966, which EVERYBODY seems to miss when publishing statistics.

Does the statistic for WA above exclude those that can't legally possess weapons? It just says "Percentage of Adults w/Carry Permits in "Shall Issue" States"

The % quoted above is far lower than what I got from the DOL when I requested the info in 2009.

Deen
NRA Benefactor/Recruiter
WAC member
SWWAC member

My mom got her permit last week and the woman who issues them said there are 7500 in Douglas County alone. I think the county population is about 117,000. The percentage is probably a bit higher than other counties like Lane and Multnomah though. Everyone carries down here!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top