JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Come on people! If you want to sell your guns, put up some decent pictures. We're not ALL experts in fire arms to take a gun sight unseen, and not all of you are well known enough for the rest of us to just take your word that the item in question is "Immaculate", or what ever term you might use. Maybe I don't even know I want the item until I see it? I would guess there are a lot of us that want to see GOOD pictures. Pictures that are dark or blurry are useless. Little teeny 2" pics don't cut it. Upside down or sideways pics don't cut it. The viewer/possible buyer really doesn't want to move the pic to a processing program and turn it, or waste your/their time driving clear across town to see the item just to see that it's not in the shape they're looking for.

Certainly it's not that hard to redo a pic? If you look at the finished ad and the pics are blurry, dark, tiny etc, you can redo the picture. When sizing, do it at 600 X 800. I don't really care if that's NOT good for your little-bitty cell phone screen either, you're not going to be seeing anything well on a small cell phone screen anyway.

Rant over.

Thank You....

Mike

Since we are talking about photos, can I just say that I don't understand the need some people have to include their feet in the picture? It usually lowers the price I am willing to pay - not logical, I know. But if you are taking pleasure from exposing your feet for the world to see, I should get a discount.

Since we are talking about photos, can I just say that I don't understand the need some people have to include their feet in the picture? It usually lowers the price I am willing to pay - not logical, I know. But if you are taking pleasure from exposing your feet for the world to see, I should get a discount.

I don't care so much about the feet as long as they're "Clothed". You can't really get a good idea of the gun though, when held in the hand.

One exception is a Glock. They're all the same and who even wants/needs to look at one? lol

I don't look at Glocks anyway, heh.

When looking at revolvers I want to see turn line, front of cylinder, maybe dust the flotsam off or state that's what you're seeing rather than scratches in the bluing. Big bore/magnum handguns show a close-up of the frame for "Flame Cutting" above the barrel. On mags that isn't necessarily a deal breaker, but it could sure be a selling point to get asking price!

I for one, take great offense at this rant about picture quality. If you don't like the pictures that are posted about guns for sale, don't buy the guns, and certainly don't complain about the pictures.

I recently offered for sale an IMMACULATE Marlin 39A (except for a couple scratches). Not only was my picture professionally executed to show the condition of the gun, it also illustrated basic operation procedures for any potential purchaser.

I have not sold the gun yet, but it's not because my picture was bad. Keep your opinions to yourself. Here's the picture, just so you can see how wrong you are:

img074_zps3ca16ea5.jpg

I think each post like in the classified section is limited to 5 (?) photos totaling 1.0 MB. When we upload them, NWFA needs to reduce their size. So if we start with even a 1280x720 photo from our smartphone, after it gets reduced and uploaded, it definitely looks different. (I would know, because I'm guilty of less than stellar photos on my posts.)

I guess the way I look at it is, I can either post one or two relatively decent photos, or 5 lower quality ones showing more angles of the product for sale. Of course, people can also request from the poster, "more better" photos via e-mail or PM or whatever.

Maybe they don't actually want to sell? For example

A theory with merit: along with pricing on a used gun that is equal or even greater than the currently available new price.

This may date me, but years ago, there was a television ad for the Yellow Pages. "Roving Reporter" followed by "on the spot" cameraman arrived at a storefront that said, "Arnold's Carpet". Going inside, they discovered a surly-looking merchant, and on display: one carpet.

They asked him why he didn't advertise in the Yellow Pages. He looked very irritated at the asking, and shot back, "Well, if I sold that carpet, it wouldn't be Arnold's carpet anymore now, would it?"

Roving Reporter looks into the camera and states for the audience, "People who want to sell things advertise in the Yellow Pages. People that don't, don't."

They did at least one other one with an aquarium shop owner, a very disturbed nerdy looking guy staring intently into his tank full of fish: His reason for not advertising in the Yellow Pages? Very defensively and protectively he replies, "These are my friends".

A theory with merit: along with pricing on a used gun that is equal or even greater than the currently available new price.

This may date me, but years ago, there was a television ad for the Yellow Pages. "Roving Reporter" followed by "on the spot" cameraman arrived at a storefront that said, "Arnold's Carpet". Going inside, they discovered a surly-looking merchant, and on display: one carpet.

They asked him why he didn't advertise in the Yellow Pages. He looked very irritated at the asking, and shot back, "Well, if I sold that carpet, it wouldn't be Arnold's carpet anymore now, would it?"

Roving Reporter looks into the camera and states for the audience, "People who want to sell things advertise in the Yellow Pages. People that don't, don't."

They did at least one other one with an aquarium shop owner, a very disturbed nerdy looking guy staring intently into his tank full of fish: His reason for not advertising in the Yellow Pages? Very defensively and protectively he replies, "These are my friends".

Well, it dates me too then. I remember those commercials! I'm not REAL old yet though.

The point here is....If you look at the picture and its tiny, 60 X 80 that's too small. Even if you're shooting, viewing, processing on your 2" screen cell phone it will tell you what size the pic is, won't it? 600 X 800 is a GOOD picture. Blurry is a BAD picture. Dark, with little or no contrast, is a BAD picture.

And then we have the people that say..."You know what they look like so I'm not going to post a picture". That doesn't bother me so much if it's a long standing, contributing, member with good feed-back. Or, if the item is a "New in Box", and the guy has standing in the community. But generally that's a turn off for a possible purchase.

If I admitted I remember that commercial it would date me too. So I won't.

I will expand on this theory posed by Spitpatch though.

The conversation goes something like this:

"You have to many guns. You need to get rid of some." (Personally, I don't have that to worry about. :s0114: )

"It's OK honey. I'm way ahead of you. I've listed them online complete with pictures", as he chuckles to himself knowing they'll never sell with the crap pictures he posted with the advert.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top