JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
They have? You want to cite some SPECIFIC examples of these 'plenty of' attacks in Oregon?

And 'Plenty of' does not mean the one 2018 cougar attack which was the FIRST (fatal) attack in Oregon history.

I LIVE in bear and cougar country - with many cougars being shot several years ago in my area when a snowstorm forced many to take shelter in peoples barns, under their decks, outbuildings etc. - but no one was 'attacked'.

Also how about any bear attacks as well? I am sure you might find something in history about some but nothing recently.

No need to 'advocate' for mag limits - we already HAVE THEM in Oregon.
What mag limit does Oregon have at the present? [Edit- I'm guessing there is a hunting mag use limit]

Last Edited:
ODFW publishes hunting regulations.

Centerfire firearm (rifles and handguns)

It is unlawful to hunt game mammals with:

• .22 caliber rimfire (except for western gray squirrel).
  • Fully automatic firearms.
  • Semiautomatic rifles with a magazine capacity greater than five cartridges (except for western gray squirrel).
  • Tracer or full-metal jacket bullets.
  • Infrared, night vision, laser or any other sight that projects a beam to the target, including scopes with electronic rangefinders and scopes that receive information from any electronic device.

I remember driving army trucks that had governed engine speed. On a Dodge M37 3/4 ton, for example, you could mash your foot down on the accelerator pedal and keep it there, the engine had only so much rpm to give. Some larger Ford gasoline truck engines I remember as having governed speed.

But here we're talking about mechanical means of governing. Speed limits are a societal limitation, expected to be observed by reasonable and responsible people. As a permit to carry a concealed pistol might be. Yes, unreasonable people will violate both limits.

There was a time when government did try to influence vehicle speeds, from about 1879 to 1982, they caused vehicle manufacturers to make speedometers that only went up to 85 mph.

Does anyone remember the 55 mph national speed limit? 1974-1987, intended to save fuel. These days, gasoline is as expensive as ever but I guess it's felt there is no need to conserve it for the sake of money. The 55 mph limit was widely ignored, but I remember a long, straight stretch of I-5 between Eugene and Albany, Ore. where the OSP really racked up a lot of tickets for disobedience of that law.
Not surprising that gov vehicle might have speed limiters.

In the USCG all of our official vehicles were from the GSA motor pool. There was one IH 2.5 ton (maybe 5 ton) flatbed (not military - just a regular commercial truck) that had engine issues; the engine kept "blowing up". After the second time the engine was rebuilt, GSA (or maybe CG HQ) mandated that a RPM & speed chrono be installed that would track both on a paper disc when the truck was in use. We were told not to exceed 55 MPH with hints of dire consequences if the engine blew again when exceeding the limits. Turns out this was a good thing.

The next road trip to Montana from Kennewick (we were hauling signs for ATN to install at Ft. Peck reservoir) the engine blew again while I was driving. I was maintaining 55 MPH or less in top gear so the PTB wanted that paper disc tout suite and it saved my hide from punishment. When the engine was taken apart, it turned out the camshaft had a "rapid dissassembly" event - it was found in many pieces.

GSA (or maybe CG HQ) mandated that a RPM & speed chrono be installed that would track both on a paper disc when the truck was in use.
Tach-O-Graph, at one time commonly used on commercial trucks and taxi cabs. One of my assignments in the ARNG was transportation corps, we had a fleet of M52 five ton tractors (old gassers) that were equipped with the Tach-O-Graph. I don't think the truckmaster had changed the discs on those for eons. Data recorded is not only vehicle performance, but delay enroute time is calculable ("activity trace").

Without knowing, my guess is there is some kind of electronic do-dad now that makes the Tach-O-Graph obsolete.

Down the road from me sits a "project" truck for sale. GMC Top Kick of indeterminate vintage, I'd say circa 2000-2005? It's a long stake bed, with a huge what looks like 7.8 liter Duramax 6 cyl. inline engine strapped down on the bed. "For Sale" sign slumped in the windshield. It's been sitting there for a few years now, with the presumed replacement engine exposed to the weather.

Without knowing, my guess is there is some kind of electronic do-dad now that makes the Tach-O-Graph obsolete.
The current EMIs pretty much record a lot of info for at least the last 10-20 minutes from when they are tapped for info. Not just speed/RPM, but whether the brakes were applied, throttle position and a lot of info that can be used to incriminate or otherwise serve to not incriminate.

I remember the device we put in the truck had a lock on it so the paper disc could only be changed by someone authorized to do so (in my case, since I was the mech {MK rating} I was the one who changed it daily).

ODFW publishes hunting regulations.

Centerfire firearm (rifles and handguns)

It is unlawful to hunt game mammals with:

• .22 caliber rimfire (except for western gray squirrel).
  • Fully automatic firearms.
  • Semiautomatic rifles with a magazine capacity greater than five cartridges (except for western gray squirrel).
  • Tracer or full-metal jacket bullets.
  • Infrared, night vision, laser or any other sight that projects a beam to the target, including scopes with electronic rangefinders and scopes that receive information from any electronic device.
I just put together a big bore AR15. Western gray squirrels your judgement day has come, -:).

I don't see the problem with hunting with a semi-auto. In every state I have hunted there has been a 5- round limit in the magazine EXCEPT in lever rifles with under-barrel tube mags. 5+1 in Mauser/Springfields and I carry extra loaded stripper clips. My BLR has a removable magazine holding 4 (+1) and I carry an extra loaded mag. Five (+1) in a semi in appropriate caliber is fine by me. I even have 5-rounders for my AK's, should I decide to hunt with them (not!)... AR15s used for varminting, no limit on capacity. Very useful when decimating prairie dog towns for local ranchers.
I havent figured out how to reduce the 10-round mag in the SKS to 5 so it would be legal for deer...

PA is a well populated state , Alleghany and Beaver counties are pretty dense both with people and whitetails. It would be interesting to see and hear a 'semi-auto' in those areas blasting away at the fleeing 'whitetail' flags! The 30 WCF lever action used to be the weapon of choice and worked pretty well.

Four years ago, when I last hunted in PA, the game commission was considered as a group of old FUDDs. The same set of guys who presided over the commission for ages. There was significant clamor at the time about getting them to lift the ban and allow hunting on Sundays.
As far as side arms, I have always carried when hunting because of the bipedal critters I have met in the woods.

I don't see the problem with hunting with a semi-auto. In every state I have hunted there has been a 5- round limit in the magazine EXCEPT in lever rifles with under-barrel tube mags. 5+1 in Mauser/Springfields and I carry extra loaded stripper clips. My BLR has a removable magazine holding 4 (+1) and I carry an extra loaded mag. Five (+1) in a semi in appropriate caliber is fine by me. I even have 5-rounders for my AK's, should I decide to hunt with them (not!)... AR15s used for varminting, no limit on capacity. Very useful when decimating prairie dog towns for local ranchers.
I havent figured out how to reduce the 10-round mag in the SKS to 5 so it would be legal for deer...
Yes - semi or single shot - an "ethical" hunter isn't going to be spraying the countryside with bullets.

These kinds of regs are all about the minority unethical hunters and it really doesn't matter that much IMO; the ethical hunter will not be "spraying and praying" (generally 1-2 shots is going to work 99% of the time), the unethical will spray anyway.

It is yet again something where the ethical law abiding gun owner is restricted because of the few who aren't.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews