JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hello all,

I hope you guys can help me answer this. I have been eyeing some items for purchase from Buds Gunshop online. Do I have to pay WA state sales tax to the FFL dealer if it is shipped from Buds or any other online site? I'm trying to figure out if it is even worth it to buy online with teh FFL fee and taxes (if it is applicable).

Thanks for any input.

Chipperxd

You don't have to pay WA sales tax unless Buds Gunshop has an operation in this state but you will probably have to pay sales tax to your local FFL, they are suppose to charge you tax, this is pretty new so not all are charging tax yet but they will

Hello all,

I hope you guys can help me answer this. I have been eyeing some items for purchase from Buds Gunshop online. Do I have to pay WA state sales tax to the FFL dealer if it is shipped from Buds or any other online site? I'm trying to figure out if it is even worth it to buy online with teh FFL fee and taxes (if it is applicable).

Thanks for any input.

Chipperxd

taxes,shipping,and fees almost always mess up a 'deal' as far as I"m concerned,on almost any online purchase.Some folks just 'ignore' the fact that ALL costs involved become the cost of the item.
IN my line of work I cringe when folks tell me after the fact what they paid for something 'on sale' online.

taxes,shipping,and fees almost always mess up a 'deal' as far as I"m concerned,on almost any online purchase.Some folks just 'ignore' the fact that ALL costs involved become the cost of the item.
IN my line of work I cringe when folks tell me after the fact what they paid for something 'on sale' online.

In a previous life, I used to be a road rep for musical instrument mfgs. Mostly guitar companies. I always heard some of the small retail music stores whine about the big dealers that would ship guitars from back east to customers in their town for close to their price. Typically a guy would walk in and look at a Les Paul or something else and say "well I can get it for $100 less than that from Sam Ash, Manny's, etc...... Most of the time they had no come back and the customer walked.

I had one music store owner that had the almost perfect comeback. He would say, "OK. I can sell you that guitar for the same price. I won't be making any money, but I will do it, but I'll sell it to you exactly the same way the dealer back east will. You give me your money up front and I will order the guitar for you. You will not get the one you tried out here. In one week, I will ship a guitar to your door and you will pay the shipping, handling and insurance on it. Do not even think about coming into my shop to pick it up. If you have any problems with it once you get it, do not come to talk to me about it, call me on the phone at which time I will give you information on how to contact the manufacturer.". A few guys still walked, but I saw him make more than one sale for a reasonable price that way.

FFLs are required to collect sales tax from all out of state purchases for serialized numbered firearm pieces.
This has been around for a while, but on June 1, 2010 it became mandatory.

From the Dept. of Revenue <broken link removed>

Ok, there needs to be some clarification here. First, if you purchase ANYTHING online from a business that is NOT located in WA, you are not required to pay WA state SALES tax. But you ARE required to pay WA state USE tax. This goes for ANYTHING brought into the state for you to use, whether or not you actually purchased it. For most things, the individual is supposed to just be honest and send the state a check for the appropriate rate. :s0114: For firearms, the FFL is supposed to collect it for the state. The problem is that this USE tax is applicable to not only firearms purchased from places like Gun Broker, but also firearms you inherited from Granddad and is the same rate as your local sales tax against the sale or market value of the firearm.

So let's say your 19, working part time at McD's while going to school and your Great Granddad sends you his Granddad's Kentucky rifle from the Civil War worth $10,000, you are required to pay the USE tax on $10,000, which would be around $880. Along with whatever shipping or FFL fees the dealer requires.

This USE tax is unconstitutional because it is actually a tax on interstate commerce. I'm not sure how many dealers actually collect the tax, but I understand the state has been having lots of trouble actually collecting it.

In practical terms how do WA taxes apply to the following example? I have a relative who lives in WA, and wants to avoid the sales tax when buying ammo; he has asked me before to buy ammo for him in OR, saying he would pay me back for it. I've never agreed, mostly because he has an absolutely abysmal track record for paying back what he owes. Anyways, I told him, it would be easier for him, and less of a hassle for the both of us, if he would just buy online from a company like J&G or AIMsurplus. He claims that, even then, he would have to pay sales tax on his purchases. Is that true? Who would he pay the tax to? If he sends money to a business based in AZ, and they ship the item to his door in WA, where does the step come in when WA can collect a sales tax? Sorry if it's a dumb question, but I've personally never dealt with the issue so I dunno.

In either case, I probably won't budge on the issue. I am not gonna go through all of that hassle to just save this dude $4 every couple of months.

You don't have to pay WA sales tax unless Buds Gunshop has an operation in this state but you will probably have to pay sales tax to your local FFL, they are suppose to charge you tax, this is pretty new so not all are charging tax yet but they will

It's been the law for well over 10 years, just FFL's were ignoring it or not realizing it was the law. Now the Revenue Dept. is "educating" them as well as customers.

http://www.northwestfirearms.com/fo...935-wa-transfers-now-subject-sales-tax-2.html

If a company has a nexus in WA then they are required to collect sales/use tax from ALL WA residents. A "nexus" is any business location in WA, be it a warehouse, storefront or maybe even a mail box at any location in WA.

Deen
NRA Benefactor/Recruiter
WAC Member
SWWAC Member

On non gun purchases like ammo you don't have to pay sales tax unless the company in AZ has an operation in WA then they would have to charge tax, I buy ammo all the time from cheaperthandirt.com and I never pay tax but when I buy from cabelas.com they charge me sales tax because they have stores in WA

In practical terms how do WA taxes apply to the following example? I have a relative who lives in WA, and wants to avoid the sales tax when buying ammo; he has asked me before to buy ammo for him in OR, saying he would pay me back for it. I've never agreed, mostly because he has an absolutely abysmal track record for paying back what he owes. Anyways, I told him, it would be easier for him, and less of a hassle for the both of us, if he would just buy online from a company like J&G or AIMsurplus. He claims that, even then, he would have to pay sales tax on his purchases. Is that true? Who would he pay the tax to? If he sends money to a business based in AZ, and they ship the item to his door in WA, where does the step come in when WA can collect a sales tax? Sorry if it's a dumb question, but I've personally never dealt with the issue so I dunno.

In either case, I probably won't budge on the issue. I am not gonna go through all of that hassle to just save this dude $4 every couple of months.

That is interesting, so they are just trying to enforce it now since the state is short on cash

It's been the law for well over 10 years, just FFL's were ignoring it or not realizing it was the law. Now the Revenue Dept. is "educating" them as well as customers.

http://www.northwestfirearms.com/fo...935-wa-transfers-now-subject-sales-tax-2.html

If a company has a nexus in WA then they are required to collect sales/use tax from ALL WA residents. A "nexus" is any business location in WA, be it a warehouse, storefront or maybe even a mail box at any location in WA.

Deen
NRA Benefactor/Recruiter
WAC Member
SWWAC Member

I had to check out the prices at AIM since I had not heard of them before, here is what it states on their website about sales tax:

"Sales Tax Charges
TThe corporate office and warehouse of AIM, Inc. are located in the great state of Ohio. Orders shipped to Ohio destinations or picked up at our location will be charged Butler county sales tax rates. Ohio businesses making purchases with the intent of resale may complete an Ohio Blanket Exemption Certificate and will not be charged sales tax. This tax exempt certificate must be completed BEFORE purchases are made. No refunds of sales taxes will be given upon completion of the purchase. Thanks for your cooperation."

so no sales tax except orders sold in Ohio

...AIMsurplus. He claims that, even then, he would have to pay sales tax on his purchases...

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top