JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I've always noticed and assumed those who are ultra aware of their surroundings, have a pocket knife clip showing and a paracord bracelet are carrying. I've had a few people who have noticed it but didn't say anything, though I know they know what it is since they are country boys. Example: the contractor doing work at my house recently.

I've considered carrying my knife clipped on my jeans behind my belt buckle, just to the right of it (I have some larger knives I carry like this at times) and carrying the paracord in a different way as well, so that I'm not so noticeable. No 5.11 gear, no MOLLE packs out and about town. I have a cheap backpack I bought on Amazon for that purpose so it doesn't look tacticool.

Looking tacticool attracts attention and of course there is always the possibility some SJW makes up a claim based on an assumption that you're carrying and you pointed a gun at them. It happens...

Looking tactical nowadays is most often seen in those that desperately want to be.

The most dangerous man in the room will most likely not have a paracord anything.

That's a logical fallacy. Paracord has nothing to do with being dangerous. It's cordage, one of the 10C's of survival. What makes people dangerous isn't where they have been, what they've done or what they have weapons wise. It's what they are willing to do. The most dangerous and willing people are those who have nothing to lose...

But the thread is not about being dangerous. It's about being GREY MAN....and whether certain things make you less grey man. I purposely take a bag with me with water and extra mags that is very civilian. But I like the idea of having cordage and have used paracord to fix gear before in a pinch.

It's a well known fact that nobody has ever unwound a paracord bracelet for cordage in an emergency. But it is an easy way to identify a tool.

Present company excluded.

I have not read the GreyMan books, but have read the internet definition, and I would have to say that Paracords probably are not a defining characteristic of someone who can not blend in, although if paracord bracelet was on the wrist of a man in a suit, that might pop out to me, or bracelet, polished jump boots and a suit.

It may be common knowledge, but I would like share it again.

If you choose to wear one of these bracelets, make sure the closure will break under force. Better to lose a bracelet than your hand.

Also, the cordage can melt to your skin. When it does, it is difficult to remove from your scorched wrist.

PSA over...

I've always noticed and assumed those who are ultra aware of their surroundings, have a pocket knife clip showing and a paracord bracelet are carrying. I've had a few people who have noticed it but didn't say anything, though I know they know what it is since they are country boys. Example: the contractor doing work at my house recently.

I've considered carrying my knife clipped on my jeans behind my belt buckle, just to the right of it (I have some larger knives I carry like this at times) and carrying the paracord in a different way as well, so that I'm not so noticeable. No 5.11 gear, no MOLLE packs out and about town. I have a cheap backpack I bought on Amazon for that purpose so it doesn't look tacticool.

Looking tacticool attracts attention and of course there is always the possibility some SJW makes up a claim based on an assumption that you're carrying and you pointed a gun at them. It happens...
SJW = Stupid Jerkwad?

Really, i do not know what SJW means.

But yes, I notice the people you listed.

I had one for years while deployed in AFG. Got back here, took it off. I unraveled it once to see how long it was. Then used it to tie down tarps for the trips to the dump.

I aspire to be a tacticool-high-speed-low-drag-operator-grey-man.

Last Edited:
It may be common knowledge, but I would like share it again.
If you choose to wear one of these bracelets, make sure the closure will break under force. Better to lose a bracelet than your hand.
Also, the cordage can melt to your skin. When it does, it is difficult to remove from your scorched wrist.
PSA over...
Had a friend almost lose a hand to that in college. Came off her wrist, and as it unwound, cut 3/4 of the way through the metacarpis (back of hand) before breaking. It took her years of rehab to regain the use of it. Ugly scars and a visceral reminder to NOT do something like that.
Don't need to be a Macgyver, but I have used my pocket knife to skin some willow bark for a makeshift lace cord. (English ivy works better and is stronger.)

No paracord bracelet for me...
But I do carry a pocket knife and wear a POW/MIA bracelet.

As far as standing out or being noticed in a crowd for being aware of my surroundings and such...
Eh...maybe.
But I don't really worry 'bout it.

I know what I have done , I know what I can do.
Maybe more importantly I know when or when not to do something.
( At least most of the time :D )

If that draws attention to me ...then it does...I shall deal with it , if needed.
Andy

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads