JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
I only read the first 3 pages...

Well I got one one of those notification cards yesterday also...

No more deals from PSA for me...

At least PSA and other vendors mentioned had the decency to drop you the post card. How many of the other vendors you dealt with in the last few months of 2018 complied with notifying the state the amount you owed but saved the postage by not notifying you?

Uncooked food products are not taxed in Washington - correct? Does Palmetto sell emergency food products? How would Washington know what you purchased unless it is itemzed:rolleyes:

Remember, trying to avoid taxes can result in fines or land you in jail

Last Edited:
Guys, I had to sign up just for this.
PSA sent me the postcard thing also.
BUT....
The mailman delivered it to the wrong person, and since it's just a postcard and not an enclosed letter, the person who received it was able to view the context of it. They did leave it on my doorstep.
It is bad form on PSA's part to leave that info open to public eyes.
I would prefer to be discrete about these things, and I am disapointed in PSA for this.

The tax issue I don't care. Taxes are already in, and I don't plan on reporting it.

BTW, we are the highest tax burden in USA, well ahead of CA or OR. WA DOR can can waste their time tracking me down for $100 if they want.

Uncooked food products are not taxed in Washington - correct? Does Palmetto sell emergency food products? How would Washington know what you purchased unless it is itemzed:rolleyes:

Remember, trying to avoid taxes can result in fines or land you in jail

PSA sells a lot of different things that range from freeze dried foods to first aid kits to (Magpul) iPhone cases. On the WA DOR online form, they have a single line for you to fill in. When I filled my form out, I typed in "sporting goods". I can't imagine anyone digging much further. It did not even ask where I made the purchase or from whom.

I guess I was just worried that this might eventually mushroom into a lien on your home or a flag on your license renewal. Would they/could they do it? I have no idea but it wasn't worth $25 for me to find out. Sales tax is the price we pay for not having an income tax.

Please read posts 127 and 131 ...your blaming the messenger ,

I'm not "blaming" PSA. I am totally OK with what they need to do in regards to WA DOR. I am not "writing PSA off" because of the tax issue.

I wanted to complain about the open post card that my neighbor could read. Uncool.

Blame the Postman !
anyways.....
wasn't gonna complain about them complying.
Printing "you bought $xxxx.xx of items from a predominately firearms retailer" on a POST CARD that the post/person/ OR neighbor can read is just BAD FORM.

It'd be similar to getting a mailing from "Lovers" saying we bought $xxx.xx of stuff in 2018....

Although, TBH, maybe it's a good thing my neighbors know? But, nonetheless it should be on my terms.

PSA should have mailed it in an envelope. I am sure they chose the cheapest route after giving us great deals, making minimum profit, I can understand their position. But, they should have considered "what if"?

Anyways, again, I would still buy from them if they are the best price.

Did I mention we have the highest tax burden in USA? It's worth repeating!

The Card I saw only had an amount and from who... They sell t-shirts, canteens, hats, binoculars, and so what you bought is confidential. I'm glad I know my neighbors and we shoot together !
For being in the PNW, most of my neighbors are cool. It's not a big deal...if I lived in Seattle I'd probably be expecting a full social-media onslaught/shaming by now

What do you suppose the cost to collect per instance would be for the State of WA?
WA state probably does not subscribe to the "risk versus benefit" thought process. Highly probable they would spend $1000 to collect $100 since they didn't have to work for the money they spend. It chafes me that I work to come in under budget while they make sure to spend everything in their budget so they can ask for more the following year.

I also got one of those notices a couple of days back, I am not a happy camper at all, PSA totally failed their customers by not doing their job and throwing us all under the bus putting us all on the spot with the state tracking our purchases. The note also says PSA will report annually to Wa DOR how much each resident spends even though they have charged taxes moving forward, totally unacceptable!

Wait what? I understand that they are now collecting WA tax at the time of sale. I presumed this meant that taxes would just be aggregated and sent in without personal purchase data -- are you saying this note says that they are going to send the individual purchase data to the state?

Did you even Bother to read my posts or check out the links ???
This is NOT Palmettos doing , it is WASHINGTON STATE doing it to dealers all over the USA as well as Most of the other states demanding Taxes from Retailers selling from other states.
Amazon , Sportsmans Guide , and a lot of my suppliers charge me Oklahoma sales tax (around 7%) now and its still cheaper than what local dealers want to gouge me for the same thing PLUS TAX. This has all just happened since the SCOTUS decision in favor of South Dakota last summer...so they are the ones to blame along with YOUR state Taxing authority.
Threatening to stop doing business with a company like Palmetto that was forced into compliance by LAW is just SILLY.
YOUR Elected Officials are the ones doing this so Blame them !!!
Did you even Bother to read my posts or check out the links ???
This is NOT Palmettos doing , it is WASHINGTON STATE doing it to dealers all over the USA as well as Most of the other states demanding Taxes from Retailers selling from other states.
Amazon , Sportsmans Guide , and a lot of my suppliers charge me Oklahoma sales tax (around 7%) now and its still cheaper than what local dealers want to gouge me for the same thing PLUS TAX. This has all just happened since the SCOTUS decision in favor of South Dakota last summer...so they are the ones to blame along with YOUR state Taxing authority.
Threatening to stop doing business with a company like Palmetto that was forced into compliance by LAW is just SILLY.
YOUR Elected Officials are the ones doing this so Blame them !!!
I fully understand its the state, but I also fully understand thst MANY other companis nation wide are NOT doing what Palmetto is by collecting Taxes
I just bought a pistol 3 weeks ago from a big company from out of state, and they did not and do NOT collect taxes they said. They are as big if not bigger than Palmetto, and the company told me I bought the pistol from that " Palmetto was not forced to comply by out of state law, and that they did it by choice". This is a company who had $75 million in inventory to sell back in December, so they are not exactly small lol. I buy things from all over the country east to west coast, and I won't do business with any company who caved in as they did when there are many other come who don't do it, and still sell the same products. It has to make economic sense or there's no advantage to buy when you're not saving a dime.:rolleyes:

Last Edited:
I fully understand its the state, but I also fully understand thst MANY other companis nation wide are NOT doing what Palmetto is by collecting Taxes
I just bought a pistol 3 weeks ago from a big company from out of state, and they did not and do NOT collect taxes they said. They are as big if not bigger than Palmetto, and the company told me I bought the pistol from that " Palmetto was not forced to comply by out of state law, and that they did it by choice". This is a company who had $75 million in inventory to sell back in December, so they exactly small lol. I buy things from all over the country east to weat coast, and I won't do business with any company who caved in as they did when there are many other come who don't do it, and still sell the same products. It has to make economic sense or there's no advantage to buy when you're not saving a dime.:rolleyes:
If you're a WA state resident you paid the sales tax to WA state through the WA FFL you received your pistol through. It is correct that the sender of the pistol would not be responsible to collect the WA state tax.

If you're a WA state resident you paid the sales tax to WA state through the FFL you received you're pistol through. It is correct that the sender of the pistol would not be responsible to collect the WA state tax.
Nope I sure didnt, all I paid was the price of the new pistol, plus shipping period. My local FFL Dealers said they don't collect taxes from out of state sales either that are not sold through thier own business. They said they don't collect taxes UNLESS it was a gun or other item that I bought from them in thier shop or business. All I paid was the transfer fee, and I buy a fair amount each yr. I'm not new to any of it. My uncle had a gunshop/gunsmithing business over 40 yrs I helped him in. The same shop is still running today.:cool:

Nope I sure didnt, all I paid was the price of the new pistol, plus shipping period. My local FFL Dealers said they don't collect taxes from out of state sales either. All I paid was the transfer fee, and I buy a fair amount each yr. I'm not new to any of it. My uncle had a gunshop/gunsmithing business over 40 yrs I helped him in. The same shop is still running today.:cool:
Well then I stand corrected. Who is the WA FFL you receive through I would like to use them for receiving out of state purchases.

Last Edited:
Status

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA
Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR

New Resource Reviews