JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
Reactions
I received a postcard in the mail today from Palmetto State Armory with the following message:

"During 2018, you made purchases totaling 169.89 from Palmetto State Armory that were shipped to Washington. Because we did not collect sales tax on those purchases, Washington law requires us to send you an annual summary of your purchases to help you file a consumer use tax return. If you made taxable purchases and did not pay sales tax, Washington law requires you to file a consumer use tax return and pay any tax due to your taxable purchases.

Washington law also requires us to give Washington State Department of Revenue an annual summary of your purchases from us. We will not share any details about the items you purchased.

Visit dor.wa.gov/consumerusetax for more information and to file a return.
"

A few points:

1. To caveat I want to be clear I believe in the rule of law and paying taxes that are due

2. It's March, I filed my taxes over a month ago so PSA is late with the information and this will cause me a little headache

But most importantly:

PSA is informing the Washington Dept of Revenue that you made purchases from them.

Although they state they do not disclose what was purchased we all know I didn't buy socks.

I do not plan on buying from PSA again.

What are your thoughts?

I get they are slow to give that information via taxes but they are only following a state law so they can avoid legal penalties. can't fault a company for doing that.

As for what information is being passed they are informing that you purchased from them. What I would be more worried about is credit unions/banks being snoopy and abhorrent with vs a company policy following a state law. Still i have sentiments for you and wanting to remain anonymous with regards to what was purchased. Unfortunately the day of privacy in the modern era is an illusion.

Got my card from PSA today with my total purchases and that they are reporting to dept. of revenue. I canceled email notifications from them and will not do anymore business with PSA. I have had some mail order companies state upfront that they collect taxes for WA and that's an honest approach and then my choice to continue transaction. This backdoor reporting behind your back is bs and this is the first time I have seen it.

I'd send the card back stating to go pound sand.

If they didn't set up their system to charge you taxes correctly and they didn't.

Not your fault.

Sounds like they need to eat a bunch of taxes.

I get they are slow to give that information via taxes but they are only following a state law so they can avoid legal penalties. can't fault a company for doing that.

As for what information is being passed they are informing that you purchased from them. What I would be more worried about is credit unions/banks being snoopy and abhorrent with vs a company policy following a state law. Still i have sentiments for you and wanting to remain anonymous with regards to what was purchased. Unfortunately the day of privacy in the modern era is an illusion.

You make some good points @E4mafia . It's tough to have privacy these days. Credit cards may also have their own reporting, but use a pre-paid VISA card and that isn't an issue.

I pay the taxes that I have to pay. But to have a firearms company file a report to the state, instead of just charging the tax upfront, is crossing the line for me.

You make some good points @E4mafia . It's tough to have privacy these days. Credit cards may also have their own reporting, but use a pre-paid VISA card and that isn't an issue.

I pay the taxes that I have to pay. But to have a firearms company file a report to the state, instead of just charging the tax upfront, is crossing the line for me.

Fair enough. Sounds like another person had issue with them too. Might be a bad business practice they need to go over at the next corporate event as to not annoy the fan base. Which is a shame because they have killer deals and believe in getting the 2A out there for those on a budget. Can't win them all I suppose. Perhaps send them an email expressing this to those who've dealt with their headaches? Maybe that could prevent future problems. Much like writing our reps/senators about Anti 2A activities.

Going with that I still don't feel comfy with the information on a 4473 and how it sits at a LGS for 20 years per ATF requirements and then here in Oregon it supposedly only sits at OSP for a few months but likely longer via their company policy I posted about last year. Theres no escaping the life botnet unless you are completely off the grid these days and I mean self sustaining as in you generate all your own food/water/electricity/communication etc. Making it harder and harder to trust companies these days I would just hate to see another one fall victim to shady practice but I guess thats the nature of the beast, end of the day everyones gotta look out for their own well being.

Perhaps PSA was chastised by the State of Washington Department of Revenue for not collecting taxes. Not defending them, there's two sides to every story.

Render unto Ceser what is Ceser's...

Or is it, render unto Inslee what is Inslee's?

:eek:

I actually cancelled an ammo order once I saw they caved on collecting WA sales tax. I get it if you had a retail location within the state, but if I can, I'll buy accessories elsewhere.
WA gets their money on guns no matter, so I'll still consider the vapor ware MP5 pistol (CZ mag version) if 1. It works 2. I1639 doesn't kick in any crazy requirements by my purchase.
NO WAY I'd accept their card if I get one. Sorry, should have collected at time of sale. I did not ask to defer taxes.

Last Edited:
I appreciate everyone's input so far.

I'm sure this is partially due to a SCOTUS decision last year stating States may collect sales tax from online retailers even if they don't have a physical location in the State (U.S. Supreme Court Reverses Long Standing Law On Collection Of Sales Taxes)

However, as I mentioned earlier, I understand the importance of following the law and the complexity of the tax code. My problem is that PSA is reporting me as an individual.

They could run a business that operates with the principle of "We sold $1M in WA last year so here is WA check for $100K in sales tax the company owes"

No need to share any customer information.

Instead they are operating with "UnionMillsNW bought firearm related items from us for $170...go ask him about it."

Not okay.

I received a card today from PSA stating similar. However, those items were sent to a local FFL and when it was processed, the FFL collected the sales tax. I hope WA DOR does not double tax me. I do not keep my receipts for most things. My understanding was that an FFL can't release the items unless the sales tax and FFL fee are paid.

It's not just PSA doing this I received the same notification from 2 other companies with no WA state presense. This is a WA state thing and I'm not paying any of it. I will wait and see what happens but as far as PSA goes I have never had an issue with ammo purchases from them and they are being pushed by WA as are other out of state vendors.

Perhaps PSA was chastised by the State of Washington Department of Revenue for not collecting taxes. Not defending them, there's two sides to every story.

Render unto Ceser what is Ceser's...

Or is it, render unto Inslee what is Inslee's?

:eek:

Or Bob.

Put this sale information together with Bob Ferguson's SB-5061 (FN1) (which I think of as the anti-gunsmithing bill) and the state can put together a list of people and houses to search for contraband. The bill is so badly written that it could be interpreted to outlaw not just home assembly (AR guys, this one is coming straight at you) or manufacturing (this is for you 80% types) -- but any firearm which doesn't have multiple serial numbers (this is for people who buy their guns already made from major manufacturers).

FN1: Washington - Committee Deadline Expires: Some bills die, others advance

PSA does not have a business presence in WA. Do Costco members that shop across the state line get reported by Costco to the dept of revenue?
If you order a product at an Oregon location delivered to a sales tax state, we charge at time of ordering. In the past when we haven't, we've had to call members and notify them.

Also. This wasn't something that's been in effect real long. If they're following the law, I see no issue?
Maybe they could have notified people at time of ordering about tax changes. But I dont see any wrong doing?
If I owned a business, I wouldnt be in the business of paying taxes for people...that's not sustainable.

Status

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA
Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads