JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Alright gentlemen, I screwed up.

The other day at the range it comes time to put a fresh coat of paint on my steel silhouette so I slung my rifle and walked to the target rattle can in hand. Set my rifle down near the base of said target so's to not leave it on the hard dirt then i started painting the target with very little foresight. Wind caught some of the overspray and some of it found it's way to my slr 95. So now the whole right side has little white specks all over. Great. Stupid, i know.
Does anyone here have an idea for removing the overspray without messing up the finish? The rifle is in stock form in really great condition and had less than two hundred rounds through it when i acquired it. to say that I'm unhappy about this lapse of judgment is a supreme understatement.

1494455306803-419675823.jpg

Have you tried just some regular gun solvent and a microfiber cloth. I would think it would work fine. I've actually removed overspray with WD40 and a little elbow grease.

Have you tried just some regular gun solvent and a microfiber cloth. I would think it would work fine. I've actually removed overspray with WD40 and a little elbow grease.
Nope, haven't tried anything for fear of damaging my rifles finish. I've heard some solvents will strip the finish, is this incorrect? Or only if you leave it on for a while? I've got hoppes nine so I'll give it a shot. Thanks kruejl!

Nope, haven't tried anything for fear of damaging my rifles finish. I've heard some solvents will strip the finish, is this incorrect? Or only if you leave it on for a while? I've got hoppes nine so I'll give it a shot. Thanks kruejl!

Regular gun cleaning solvents will not destroy the finish of your gun. Neither will WD40.

Here are my ideas on this. But note these are just ideas and I would try them on a hidden section of the gun first...or something like that.

• Start with your regular solvents and WD40
  • Renaissance wax
  • Silver polish
  • Clay Bar...like the kind you use prior to waxing a car. Note that I've had overspray on my truck before and this worked on the painted surfaces but not the plastic
  • 0000 Steel wool
  • Nail polish remover - This would probably be my last resort. Be really careful with this one

Just saw this thread you said paint on right side of gun just go back to the range do some more shooting put this time when you paint your target make sure the left side is down wind so both sides will match lol SORRY ONE LAST SMART A$$ REMARK BEFORE I GO TO SLEEP

Just go get MEK from your local hardware store (methyl ethyl ketone) That will strip spray paint even old well cured paint off without too much hassle it also shouldn't damage your factory finish however I would still recommend checking on an area like the inside of the magwell to confirm. That's the solvent I send guys to when they want to remove the rattle can job from their rifles.

It's an AK it aint meant to be pretty!

WD 40 or good old fashion CLP, Hoppie's 9 or any gun solvent should remove it and if any of this stuff removes your finish then it is a factory issue.

Over spray is usually not stuck on very well so it should come off with a little effort.

Dip it in coke for a short time. Then dump it in the toilet both will be clean.

Ifin you even had a light coating of oil it should come off with any of the above suggestions.

Depending on the finish you can just use a small amount of acetone to get rid of the paint and oil it to restore it to its original color. Just use something else for the polymer.

Unless you intend to sell it, why bother though?

Awesome guys thank you for sharing!
Looks like my apprehension was misguided. I'll try hoppes to start and see how it goes

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top