JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I bought a harbor freight vise for assembling ARs etc. Ya I know...But it was cheap and I didn't intend on using it for much more than a third hand. Up to this point it has served me well.
Today I was trying to remove the factory barrel nut from a Ruger AR556 upper... FYI they are not easy to remove! I put the upper in the jig, tightened it in the vice and leaned on it with all 300lbs of my weight... sucker wouldn't budge.
Sooo... I put the heat to it and tried again. this time the stupid vice snapped, Everthing went flying... and something caught me in the forehead, splitting it open... And I somehow burnt the crap out of my thumb. At least I'll get a cool scar out of it.

Moral of the story: Ruger really doesn't want you to take their barrels off, and buying/using Harbor Freight tools can lead to injury,dismemberment, and even death.
IMG_4613.JPG IMG_4612.JPG

Dang brother that looks like a mighty ghoulish gash. I do feel for you knowing all to well that cheap tools can and do make us humans suffer grave pains.
I was leaning really hard on the 1/2" breaker bar (from HF) and a 2' cheater which sent me backpedaling to the concrete floor of my shop when it snapped....:eek::eek::eek:

why (sputter sputter)......do you realize, man, that THIS may well be a fortuitous presentation of the modern representative of 'the Heidelberg Dueling Scar' so long absent from the realm???

When I was working as an auto tech in Colorado, our lead tech was trying to remove a wheel bearing with his air hammer. The bearing exploded as I was watching. Thank God I was wearing glasses. When it blew, I stumbled back and my lead starts yelling at me. My face was bleeding from so many places we couldn't count. Like a shotgun blast of razor blades to the grill. Sure was glad I was already ugly that day! :D

Now you will Harbor Fright in fearful remembrance. Glad you're OK....you had safety glasses on ...right?

....next time for sure?

When I was working as an auto tech in Colorado, our lead tech was trying to remove a wheel bearing with his air hammer. The bearing exploded as I was watching. Thank God I was wearing glasses. When it blew, I stumbled back and my lead starts yelling at me. My face was bleeding from so many places we couldn't count. Like a shotgun blast of razor blades to the grill. Sure was glad I was already ugly that day! :D
rookies:D:rolleyes:

why (sputter sputter)......do you realize, man, that THIS may well be a fortuitous presentation of the modern representative of 'the Heidelberg Dueling Scar' so long absent from the realm???
fencing with a bench vice and losing is not a fortuitous event... I'll have to change the narrative a little if I intend on bragging about it;)

The guy can do a full set of F250+ ball joints with alignment in under an hour. I timed it once.

Be careful.. that story gets to the wrong people and we might need to go through an ffl for pneumatic tools in the future.

Upcoming Events

Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top