JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
May be worse off than I thought... feeling dizzy, and I have a hell of a head ache. Head ache doesn't mean much, I'm used to those... they don't call me mygrainman for nothin. The dizziness is a little alarming tho. I'm just glad it didn't brake my glasses... that would have sucked to have to order new ones and wait a week before I could see good again.

May be worse off than I thought... feeling dizzy, and I have a hell of a head ache. Head ache doesn't mean much, I'm used to those... they don't call me mygrainman for nothin. The dizziness is a little alarming tho. I'm just glad it didn't brake my glasses... that would have sucked to have to order new ones and wait a week before I could see good again.

Yep dizziness is not a good thing after you bang your head, been there done that bought the T-shirt. In fact that's what the doctors said that's brought on my hearing loss and dizziness years ago...
Hope you heal and the dreaded dizzies go far away.;)

You actually have a concussion from this. Probably very minor but it's there nonetheless.

Dizziness says you need to be evaluated, pronto! Super good chance that it's nothing that a few days of rest and Motrin wont cure, but it's not worth the risk to just tough it out.

Former level one trauma center paramedic here ... please get someone to drive you to the ER ... this is not something to "sleep on".

Take care of yourself.

I'll just leave this here...

Hazard-Fraught.jpg

You may not live within driving distance of what I like to call my favorite one-time use tool store, Harbor Freight, but apparently a couple of contributors for Mad Magazine do.

HF2.jpg

HF3.jpg

HF4.jpg

I'll just leave this here...

View attachment 431313

You may not live within driving distance of what I like to call my favorite one-time use tool store, Harbor Freight, but apparently a couple of contributors for Mad Magazine do.

View attachment 431314

View attachment 431315

View attachment 431316
Why is tha synthetic toggle bearing sychrofusing/subdivot tool never in stock anymore... FYI back in my days of summer BBQ/kegger hopping, that corncob holder/gaydar/paternity tester got me out of some real awkward situations... It's the swiss army knife for the modern socialite.

Last Edited:
I was drilling a piece of mild steel that was chucked up in a Harbor Freight vice and after the long drill bit made it's way through the steel it started to drill into the vice right below the jaws. I wouldn't have noticed if it wasn't for the pink colored Bondo the Chinese used to hide the lousy sand casting that made it's way up the drill bits flukes.
Not too much later I was hammering on something and it broke completely in half.
Only made in the USA vises for me after that.

Last Edited:
Most new vises suck unless you pay at least a few hundred for one that's properly forged. Craigslist is your friend. An old ugly beat up vise was likely forged here in the US and if it was going to break would have already done so.

The same goes with many tools - older used are cheaper and stronger than many of the shiny new ones. In the PDX area look for Proto - they had a factory here and I know first hand they made them well.

Sorry for your injury @Mygrainman, at least you didn't lose an eye. A good reminder to all to make sure you wear eye protection and to keep the first aid kit handy when you are at the workbench.

I like harbor freight for what they are but there are (think beater tool set for someone who will never really use them) as for a vice if it isn't a wilton i won't use it. Oh and as a side note I just got some new glasses from a online company called Zenni here is a link Glasses – Glasses Online – Prescription Glasses | Zenni Optical i got a pair of clear glases for about 45 bucks, and they look and fit as good as my crazy priced brand named ones.

You get what you pay for. I buy sandpaper and nitrile gloves from them but really nothing else; its not worth the bother if it's not some disposable item.

ETA: Glad your ok, I dropped a clutch fiber plate on my forehead and ended up with a tattoo. We should compare scars :)

Respectfully ...

Wow! Several things come to my feeble mind. First are you OK? I don't think so. You need to go to the emergency room and wait for 4 hours or just tell them you feel dizzy and have a Head Ache. May not help you but one can try. Ask the person who may or may not stitch you up to use big thread and big stitches. Yeah ... you want that fore head scar. Chicks go for it.

Are Ruger AR15 type barrel nuts reverse thread? I dunno which is why I ask. How in the heck do you factory torque up a AR15 type barrel nut THAT TIGHT? Do they use some sort of locking compound? Dunno. Not the way it should be done. Also makes one wonder about the rest of the Ruger 5.56 build quality. If the barrel nut is dorky what about the rest of the gun?

Finally ..... can you contact an ambulance chaser? What would have happened to you if that flying fragment had hit you square in the eye? I ALWAYS used safety goggles or a full face shield when doing AR15 builds. You dodged a major life changing eye injury. You are lucky. NOW .... can you punish forever the guilty who knowingly sold you a shieettty bench vise?

Good luck with that.

I like harbor freight for what they are but there are (think beater tool set for someone who will never really use them) as for a vice if it isn't a wilton i won't use it. Oh and as a side note I just got some new glasses from a online company called Zenni here is a link Glasses – Glasses Online – Prescription Glasses | Zenni Optical i got a pair of clear glases for about 45 bucks, and they look and fit as good as my crazy priced brand named ones.
Checking Cralist today and even beat up old Wiltons are spendy, you get what you pay for tho....
I get my specs thru 39dollarglasses dot com... guess how much they cost:DLast pair lasted well over a year.. only replaced them cuz my scrip changed. my guess is they are the same frames as zen i.

Damn! :eek: Glad you weren't hurt worse.

I assume you'll take that POS back to HF and see if they'll do anything for you? Maybe show them your new injuries? Might be worth a trip for that.

I've experienced some catastrophic tool failures in my career, thankfully nothing so bad as to require a trip to the hospital. Haven't had a HF failure yet, but I limit my purchases there to less dangerous items.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top