JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

SHTF P320 or P226?

• P320

• P226

Results are only viewable after voting.
I have plenty of guns in this category that are fun guns but in a SHTF it will be easy to find a Glock over pretty much everything so that is my SHTF gun.
Right now the market for most anything is volatile. One day you will find mags and parts on sale, the next not.

That is indeed an issue. The fact that I have plenty of ammo, guns and mags, influences my choices - i.e., I already made my choices based on preferences/needs and then went about filling in with those choices. So yeah, that is different from someone who hasn't done that yet.

My main reasoning behind the SIG P226 is that I have enough experience with striker fired pistols and with SIG DA/SA guns to know that I do not like striker fired triggers, while I do like DA/SA for a number of reasons. That doesn't mean that Glocks are not a good choice when starting from scratch - it is just my preference - if I were to choose striker fired pistols, it would probably be Glocks for the reasons you mention.

I may be over selling it but I just looked at a lot of the places you said and most 226 parts are out of stock or they only list sights and magazines. A couple had some key parts.

What I am talking about is how many guns are in use and being sold, if can you walk into a LGS and find parts this shows how many folks have a particular gun in an area because shops do not usually carry parts they cannot sell reasonably quickly. If the local shops do not carry mags for a gun that is still produced then there is not much of a market as they are popular to a niche group and not the main stream.

If it popular to the mainstream then in a SHTF I have a better chance of running across one in an abandon house or on the black market more than most others.

Glocks are every where and I can find parts everywhere meaning in a SHTF I have a better chance of finding a spare gun or parts for a Glock than say a Desert Eagle 50ae.

I feel the 320 will be the same over the Sig 22? Line of products unless like you said you buy all the spare parts now because you won't find them later as it is popular to a niche group only.

I have plenty of guns in this category that are fun guns but in a SHTF it will be easy to find a Glock over pretty much everything so that is my SHTF gun.
The Sig P220 line of guns has been in production since the mid 1970's. There are more of those pistols out there in private and government hands right now than the 320, despite the 320 being phased into the Army, Air Force, and Marine Corps as the issue sidearm. Military still has stocks of both the P226 (Mk 25) and P228 (M11) - and there are still police departments that carry the P220 or its derivatives. Just because its not the current gun-dejour, doesn't mean it'll be hard to find parts for.

In a real end of society, SHTF scenario - gun shops won't have parts because they'll be among the first stores looted. If you're counting on "battle field pickup" weapons for spares or replacements, then getting a Glock holster and getting good with the Glock platform would be the way to go, or learning what your local PD, sheriff, and state police issues and going with that.

In Oregon you could count on Glock, the M&P, or a classic Sig as being the three most likely guns to encounter. Maybe throw in the Beretta M9 as fielded by National Guard units. Oregon State Police issues the M&P in .40 - agencies in the metro typically issue Glocks or require officers to provide their own. Washington County, for example issues Glocks in 9mm or .45ACP (might've dropped just to 9mm at this point, maybe a current WCSO deputy or someone familiar with them can update) - Portland issues 9mm Glocks. Clackamas County is a deputy-provided smorgasboard - I knew deputies carrying 1911's, some carried Sig P22x guns, most carried Glocks, I heard (didn't see first hand, but it came from a LE friend in Clackamas County) of a CCSO deputy who carried a CZ-75 on duty.

I haven't actually seen a PD in the Portland metro that carried or authorized the P320. In all of the agencies I've encountered here in Texas - I haven't seen a gun other than a Glock on a cop's hip, save for Texas DPS who carries M&P 9mm pistols - from our local town PD, to the Constables, the Sheriff, neighboring city PD's, Harris County SO, neighboring city school PD (different than the city PD) - every one of those cops I've seen has a Glock on their hip.

If you have a modern or semi-modern pistol - one made in the last 50 years - by one of the well known makers you're probably going to be fine. Chances are you won't wear the gun out. If you do, you can probably just replace it with something else, or you're going to wind up killed before you get the chance anyway.

I would honestly put more focus on a rifle than a pistol anyway. In SHTF, a concealable pistol will be nice, but a rifle is better for fighting, defending your position, or collecting food. A rifle that is common enough to get spare parts for, in a caliber of sufficient size to kill game or kill hostile people, while being common enough to be readily scavenged or traded for would be very important. That makes 5.56/.223 and 7.62NATO/.308 float right to the top - and makes the AR15 / AR10 and variants float to the top of those available guns.

Texas deer don't hold to the "every thing is bigger in Texas" trope - so if the world goes to bubblegum, I could probably kill any of the deer wandering my neighborhood and the surrounding property with a 9mm or .223 round (seriously, the deer around here are like German Shepards with tall legs - they're a lot smaller than the typical Oregon or Washington deer)

I also know that all of my gun-toting friends here prefer 9mm as their primary caliber. Its the ammo that you can almost count on being sold out first. Local shops and big box stores will have .40, .380, 10mm, and even some .45ACP when the 9mm is sold out more often than not.

I've got 4 pistols available in 9mm. I've got a 5.56 "pistol" that can easily be effective to 150 yards given the barrel length and sighting system, which is the longest reasonable shot I could think of taking around here anyway.

If you aren't stocking up on spare parts now, while they're available, I wouldn't count on getting spare parts in the future when everything is ruined.

Right now the market for most anything is volatile. One day you will find mags and parts on sale, the next not.

That is indeed an issue. The fact that I have plenty of ammo, guns and mags, influences my choices - i.e., I already made my choices based on preferences/needs and then went about filling in with those choices. So yeah, that is different from someone who hasn't done that yet.

My main reasoning behind the SIG P226 is that I have enough experience with striker fired pistols and with SIG DA/SA guns to know that I do not like striker fired triggers, while I do like DA/SA for a number of reasons. That doesn't mean that Glocks are not a good choice when starting from scratch - it is just my preference - if I were to c
I mean no disrespect about your choice and I am sorry If I came across that way, I just answered the question based on the original post "sig 226 or 320" and my reasons why.

I made the assumption they are starting fresh and 320 stuff is hot right now over the 226. I feel you have made a good choice and you have parts and mags to last until you die and to me that is what matters more than gun choice.

I have owned several 229s and 226s over the years myself and feel they are great guns but I answered the question based on my opinion and my thoughts of how the world works. Besides Glocks I have a number of Beretta 92s as well and enough parts and mags to do ok in a SHTF.

I also have 1911s, Walther's, CZs and so on that I am more than willing to use but for me they are not my first choice for my reasons stated in an early post.

Working back in a sporting goods gun department I am seeing and asking what and why something is popular and honestly the 365 beats the 320 and 226 lines of products at the moment. So, they will be easy to find as well.

I remember back in the 80s and 90s before prepping and SHTF became an accepted talked about subject the HK91 and M14 where the top rifles and the 1911 was the king for prepping. All very heavy firearms but top notch in the day.

Then it went to AK/SKS and now it is pretty much AR15s and some polymer striker fired gun with Glock for a long time being #1. Now days the folks that have the money buy things like the SCAR and Gucci Glocks for the end of the world.

The AR is still king of the hill as far as prepping but the Glock is in the top 5 now but there are others that do very well and the 320 is one of them.

Like I said I answered the question based on the original post as I would not have chosen nether for SHTF but that is just my opinion. The military may have lots of 22? type firearms stored somewhere but not in my part of the woods and in reality, how many were left in Afghanistan during the withdraw or are they still in the US.

The Sig 22? guns where hot in the day like you said in the 80s and 90s but are heavy compared to the polymer guns of today and like the MP5 also hot in the day they are at a price point a lot of folks cannot afford and the availability is far and few between compared to the 320.

This is the reason for my answer and nothing more. In 5 years it may be something else that is hot who knows and in 5 years I may change my mind as it has happened before.

We're talking SHTF here, so I'm going to go with the lower weight, short-reset trigger and mag capacity of the P320. I like the P226, it is a quality pistol, but I've never got used to the slide release being so far to the rear. I don't think I want to deal with that in a high stress situation.

Last Edited:
Having both, I'd say that P320 is easier for the average Kitchen Table Gun Plumber to work on.
Therefore, P320 for the win in SHTF scenario.

P226 fans be like....P226 don't need no work on !

:)

Having both, I'd say that P320 is easier for the average Kitchen Table Gun Plumber to work on.
Therefore, P320 for the win in SHTF scenario.

P226 fans be like....P226 don't need no work on !

:)
Most self-defense mid to full sized mil-spec semi-autos don't need "work" done on them for quite a while if they are a relatively new gun. You could put a thousand rounds thru them and all you need to do is occasionally clean them - if that.

In a SHTF situation, it is unlikely that you will be using a sidearm that much to wear it out, or use them in a way that they break. As I and others have said, the sidearm's primary purpose is to fight your way to your long gun, or to be used as a backup for a long gun, maybe for house clearing or CQB.

It really comes down to your preferences (including ergonomics). I really do not like striker fired triggers and strongly prefer DA/SA triggers - not just for feel, but also the ability to get a second strike on a recalcitrant primer and for the increased safety of the DA trigger when carrying with a round in the chamber (hammer down) plus the decocker.

I have also come to prefer the feel of the recoil impulse and balance of metal framed handguns over polymer - I have a 2022/2340 with DA/SA trigger, and in either 9mm or .40, the balance is quite different, and the recoil feels quite different to me.

YMMV - go with what feels best, that you shoot well, and have the most confidence in.

i can only speak for my '226. but i've since upgraded.

sigsauerwithrosewoodhandles001.jpg

Most self-defense mid to full sized mil-spec semi-autos don't need "work" done on them for quite a while if they are a relatively new gun. You could put a thousand rounds thru them and all you need to do is occasionally clean them - if that.

In a SHTF situation, it is unlikely that you will be using a sidearm that much to wear it out, or use them in a way that they break. As I and others have said, the sidearm's primary purpose is to fight your way to your long gun, or to be used as a backup for a long gun, maybe for house clearing or CQB.

It really comes down to your preferences (including ergonomics). I really do not like striker fired triggers and strongly prefer DA/SA triggers - not just for feel, but also the ability to get a second strike on a recalcitrant primer and for the increased safety of the DA trigger when carrying with a round in the chamber (hammer down) plus the decocker.

I have also come to prefer the feel of the recoil impulse and balance of metal framed handguns over polymer - I have a 2022/2340 with DA/SA trigger, and in either 9mm or .40, the balance is quite different, and the recoil feels quite different to me.

YMMV - go with what feels best, that you shoot well, and have the most confidence in.
In an extended SHTF scenario, might be fictional but could happen extended period, you will have to work on your schitt to one degree or another.
In my mind's eye, I see SHTF as possibly a multi-year event.

YMMV

Last Edited:
Oy, while you missed the production run of them - they brought the P225 back to life a few years ago ala the P225A1 - it uses the same magazine, IIRC as the P239 but has the standard look of the other P-series guns, so its not compatible with the original P225 magazines.
The P225A1 didn't seem to get the best reviews.

There was a "Classic Line" reissue of the original P225 at some point (late 2009 or so). I have a LNIB one and keep going back and forth on selling it. Still have an original well used P225 that is a great gun.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top