JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Anyone over 50 like to do overnight bush craft type camping? I'm entertaining the idea of getting some lightweight equipment and doing some overnighters now and again. Wouldn't mind finding someone experienced who wouldn't mind having a disabled vet along (I can walk, just not long distances without getting extremely tired). Already live alone so, general conversation would help. Good way to keep the survival skills up to date and sharp.

If you've done this or still do this, please share your experiences and equipment that you like to use. Even just driving to a campsite and setting up works as long as your keeping it kind of minimalistic.

Edited to add: Doesn't really matter your age. If you like doing this, share your experiences and what you found works for you.

maxresdefault.jpg

Last Edited:
I like camping... not too big a fan of hiking/carrying everything though, so I use my truck lol. I do it mostly to enjoy the beautiful surroundings nature provides, and have a nice fire while watching the stars. My basics are tent, cot, sleeping bag, and some way to cut wood and make a fire. Also, cooler for beer.

Would love to learn more about bushcraft and minimalist camping for the same reasons you have, survival skills and preparedness.

-Robert

I too enjoy a simple , minimalist approach to camping.

I use most of the same gear , that I use for rendezvous when camping.
Tin cup , wooden home made plate , horn spoon , flint and steel etc...
All still do the same job they did 100 odd years ago and do it well.

That said...my GORE-TEX Bivy bag and poncho liners sure do get used a lot....:D

Ifin' we were closer @HA556 I'd be interested in a camping trip.
Andy

I'm going on a trip this coming weekend with my son but, it's to a state park where he'll possibly run into some kids his own age to pal around with. I don't think he'd be to keen on the minimalist approach! :D

When I was a kid, many moons ago, I would have enjoyed learning survival skills... especially learning how to start a fire, or building a shelter.

-Robert
Yep, I hear ya! At one time my back yard was literally a mountain. :s0155: Spent many nights camped on that thing and many forts to hide out in!

Had to run down to the local Sportsman's for a couple small items for this weekends camping trip. Saw they were having a sale on some brand name packs so, got myself measured for proper fit, found this great 48 Liter Osprey Kestrel 48 for 25% off. Will be perfect size for what I want to do. Next major investments will be a sleeping bag, bivvy sack, pad and a 10X10 waterproof lightweight sil-nylon tarp. Don't have to worry about hiking boots as I've got a pair of Vasque 100% waterproof hiking boots I picked up about 10yrs ago and never really broke them in! :rolleyes:

thumbnail_IMG_0075.jpg thumbnail_IMG_0077.jpg

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top