JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Some of the......er how can I put this kindly, here go's some of the most wisdom challenged people I have ever worked with were in college's. I cant keep track of the number of book smart people who had no common sense or common humanity. I was continually amazed at people who had so little connection with reality though very well "educated" many were socially dysfunctional and had through a long process been made quite dim when it came to anything real world.

My dad had a saying for folks like that. He called them Educated Idiots.

Some of the......er how can I put this kindly, here go's some of the most wisdom challenged people I have ever worked with were in college's. I cant keep track of the number of book smart people who had no common sense or common humanity. I was continually amazed at people who had so little connection with reality though very well "educated" many were socially dysfunctional and had through a long process been made quite dim when it came to anything real world.

I worked with a guy that was rainman smart when it came to mathematics. He could figure complex formulas in his head in seconds that would take half an hour to verify with a calculator, but don't let him drive or do anything even remotely dangerous. A total social misfit but at least he was useful.

I worked with a guy that was rainman smart when it came to mathematics. He could figure complex formulas in his head in seconds that would take half an hour to verify with a calculator, but don't let him drive or do anything even remotely dangerous. A total social misfit but at least he was useful.

One of my gal's childhood girlfriends was like that.. an acrobat, math star, got great grades, one of the hottest girls in HS.. she was a complete airhead who ended up getting a degree from a prestigious University and then totally flopped in the working world (she could not even hack it in academia!) and has gone through 3 husbands now. Liberal obongo supporter of course, while my gal came out of the box a right thinker and is a gunner, patriot and still with me 33 + years later

Well I have a tendency to lean left. Im not going to troll the thread with my personal beliefs but the people on the Christian right are sometimes down right nutty, just look at Santorum, he is running for the highest office in this country and thinks that not allowing the Catholic Church into the American political system, to force its views that range from creationism to men shouldn't be allowed to have condoms nor women allowed to buy birth control pills, would make him throw up.

Republicans do believe in creationism more than Democrats do, I got a good cartoon of the lack of belief in scientific fact on that issue.

bzDINOARK11-16-08WB.jpg

If the Christian Right is willing to believe that the dinosaurs were killed by a Flak 88 on the "other Ark" then it should be no surprise that they don't believe in other things that scientists have a consensus of believing is true.

Its the Christian Right that want to make government big like in the book 1984, they want to legislate everything from the bedroom to keeping the failed war on drugs going, to locking up as many Americans as possible who they deem immoral.

Nothing makes "government" feel bigger than denying people several rights such as voting or gun ownership, and locking them up 24/7 over victimless crimes such as drug possession.

Newt Gingrich touted he was going to make the government smaller, but then said he had plans to take the kids away of welfare recipients, deny them any money they receive on welfare, so he can create a "Big Government" Federal Orphanage similar to Boys Town. Who has ever heard of "smaller government, but we will take your kids away if you require assistance"?

Then you had Herman Cain's 999 plan. It had a 9% flat tax, and a 9% sales tax. There are TWO taxes I HATE with a passion, and thats sales tax and flat taxes, and his plan had both of them in it. When the CBO ran the numbers for what his tax plan would do to the government, first it would of raised taxes on around 85%-90% of Americans, so tax wise, the government would feel MUCH larger than it did before for people who can barely afford to pay taxes under the current system. Then on top of that, his tax plan was going to take in 1/3 of the revenue, so basically he was going to cut any government program that benefits you, and take more of your money away, essentially screwing most Americans over from 2 different approaches. The only people who benefitted from his 999 plan were the super-rich, Warren Buffet who has made around 99% of his money in investments, would receive a HUGE tax cut even more so than the one he got under Bush, and Newt Gingrich's tax plan would have Warren Buffet paying $0 in taxes on his investments as well as Ron Paul's tax plan.

The Current Republican party is a far cry from Barry Goldwater, as Barry Goldwater said "My party has been taken over by a bunch of kooks!"

The first thing you read on OSUs admissions page is "We encourage circular thinking." And I'm sure that they do.

Science used to be based on skepticism and rigorous study of objective results, to very specific tests and their outcomes.

Now hypotheses and tests are formulated to get a specific result, and if you question that, then you must be mentally deficient or lacking in education. This, after the fraud of the 'hockey stick' graph has been revealed.

When did we fall down the rabbit hole?

And here's Professor Kari Nogaard who wants to put Americans into Reeducation Gulags. Looks to me like she couldn't make it in the real world.

she does not realise who is going to be doing the population control, that would be you and me.....

Well I have a tendency to lean left. Im not going to troll the thread with my personal beliefs but the people on the Christian right are sometimes down right nutty, just look at Santorum, he is running for the highest office in this country and thinks that not allowing the Catholic Church into the American political system, to force its views that range from creationism to men shouldn't be allowed to have condoms nor women allowed to buy birth control pills, would make him throw up.

Republicans do believe in creationism more than Democrats do, I got a good cartoon of the lack of belief in scientific fact on that issue.

bzDINOARK11-16-08WB.jpg

If the Christian Right is willing to believe that the dinosaurs were killed by a Flak 88 on the "other Ark" then it should be no surprise that they don't believe in other things that scientists have a consensus of believing is true.

Its the Christian Right that want to make government big like in the book 1984, they want to legislate everything from the bedroom to keeping the failed war on drugs going, to locking up as many Americans as possible who they deem immoral.

Nothing makes "government" feel bigger than denying people several rights such as voting or gun ownership, and locking them up 24/7 over victimless crimes such as drug possession.

Newt Gingrich touted he was going to make the government smaller, but then said he had plans to take the kids away of welfare recipients, deny them any money they receive on welfare, so he can create a "Big Government" Federal Orphanage similar to Boys Town. Who has ever heard of "smaller government, but we will take your kids away if you require assistance"?

Then you had Herman Cain's 999 plan. It had a 9% flat tax, and a 9% sales tax. There are TWO taxes I HATE with a passion, and thats sales tax and flat taxes, and his plan had both of them in it. When the CBO ran the numbers for what his tax plan would do to the government, first it would of raised taxes on around 85%-90% of Americans, so tax wise, the government would feel MUCH larger than it did before for people who can barely afford to pay taxes under the current system. Then on top of that, his tax plan was going to take in 1/3 of the revenue, so basically he was going to cut any government program that benefits you, and take more of your money away, essentially screwing most Americans over from 2 different approaches. The only people who benefitted from his 999 plan were the super-rich, Warren Buffet who has made around 99% of his money in investments, would receive a HUGE tax cut even more so than the one he got under Bush, and Newt Gingrich's tax plan would have Warren Buffet paying $0 in taxes on his investments as well as Ron Paul's tax plan.

The Current Republican party is a far cry from Barry Goldwater, as Barry Goldwater said "My party has been taken over by a bunch of kooks!"

BUT.. Barry Goldwater was an "extremist"! (BTW Creationism is quite scientific and makes a lot more sense than telling me I came from an amoeba or an ape)

Last edited by a moderator:
For his time period some of his views were extreme. No one discussed homosexuality in 1964, it was an untalked about subject, and he would publicly state he was ok with gays serving in the military and acknowledged their existence in American Society.

He was pro-choice too, he felt the government had no right to legislate private decisions between a woman and her doctor.

He really disdained the Christian Right as a poison, or cancer, on the Republican party. When he said "My party has been taken over by a bunch of kooks!" I think he was referring to the Christian Right, who are not libertarian at all on social issues, they are theocratic fascists. None of their restrictions on abortions or gays or people they deem immoral such as marijuana smokers would be a problem for a member of the Christian Right because they already whole-heartedly and enthusiastically live that lifestyle. But for all of us non-god fearing Americans who aren't evangelical Christians, their restrictions they want to place on everyone from gays, to people who like to abuse substances on weekends, to women who like to have sex with men, would place a huge burden on them and I imagine they would threaten them with jail time.

Since they clearly can't convert all Americans over to their church, they want to get the criminal justice system involved to lock them behind bars. Im a criminal justice major, I want to put rapists behind bars, not promiscuous women (actually I think you will find promiscuous women to be some of the friendliest human beings in existence, so I could never approve of legislation against them.)

One way they are undermining womens reproductive healthcare in this country is by trying to make it almost impossible to obtain. And even if you make it to the doctors front door after walking past a procession of protestors, some of which who are terrorists (an abortion clinic got bombed this morning), the legislature demands you have a probe shoved up your twat first and then wait 72 hours before you are allowed to have the abortion.

Thats not small government, thats big government, putting women through a ton of red tape just because they don't want to be a Christian Right baby-making machine.

Creationism, or Intelligent-Design is considered pseudo science, or Creationism dressed up in scientific clothing. You walk into a biology department in any college, and you will get laughed out of the room if you offer to teach a scientific class on creationism. I think one such school that offered college degrees based in religious teachings, such as Creationism as scientific fact, was discredited since it didn't hold its biology students to the same standards as other institutions.

You could teach creationism class in a religious school, but the theory of evolution is much more highly regarded amongst scientists worldwide. THe only place where people believe in creationism is pretty much the United States, but over in Europe, Australia, Japan, or other countries where they have different main religions with different stories of how man was started, they don't believe in creationism as scientific fact.

Ive pretty much chalked up religion as a way to explain the unexplainable, before the advent of modern science. if something unexplainable happened in a caveman village, they would just chalk it up as to something that the "gods" must have done. Unfortunately for the religious people in todays America though, non-religious is the fastest growing "sect" of the religious community, and I happen to be one of them.

One final thought, Barry Goldwater would almost have to run on either his own ticket, or the Democratic ticket in todays politics since he was a Republican who didn't take part in all that Christian Right garbage.

The job of the church is to saves mens souls, not govern, and they need to remain separate, much to Rick Santorum's detriment.

"Everyone knows that gays have served honorably in the military since at least the time of Julius Caesar."[7] He also said, "You don't have to be straight to be in the military; you just have to be able to shoot straight." A few years before his death he went so far as to address the right wing, "Do not associate my name with anything you do. You are extremists, and you've hurt the Republican party much more than the Democrats have."[8] - Barry Goldwater

Im not going to troll the thread with my personal beliefs but............................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

Thank god you kept it succinct. ;)

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads