JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have purchased 3 firearms in the last 6 months. The first one was put on a 5 week hold and I was patient. I was thinking it had been a few years since I purchased one so once that one went through I would be good to go. The next one was a 10 day hold So I was patient again. 2 weeks after that one I got another hold for like 3 weeks. I told the guy at the shop I had just been cleared for one 2 weeks before that...The dealer was kind enough to call OSP the next morning and ask them what the deal was and they cleared it that day while he had them on the phone. They told him that they were behind schedule and the note hadn't been attached to my file yet. I had called and left them a message asking what the hold up was and when they returned my call 2 weeks later they gave me the same story. That they were behind schedule and that I should be ready to go after they caught up.

So now today I went to buy a 1911 .22 and they put a hold on it till 11-13-12! The worst thing on my record is a frickin DUII. Im entitled to the gun after 3 days according to federal law and these boneheads at OSP are making me wait a month? WTF! How can they even do that?

I think as much as they whine about being understaffed and underfunded they should let the FBI handle this stuff and get their lazy butts out there and catch some poachers and dope growers. Get out from behind the computer, hang up the phone and do some police work. Quit wasting man power on something the federal government already has under control and is obviously better at. Instead of laying off troopers, lay off these pencil pushers that aren't even smart enough to communicate amongst themselves in order to allow hardworking honest Americans to buy a gun... I am so irritated right now. When is the revolution?

Ivea also been experiencing the same thing. Bought a couple handguns about a week ago and was delayed until november 4th, 3 days later I was approved and picked up my guns. Now just yesterday I tried to pick up another handgun and was put on hold until november 14th. Wtf!? I was just cleared less then a week ago. And there is nothing on my record besides a disorderly conduct that I wasn't even convicted for. Was so stupid that judge dropped everything soon as I stepped foot in the courtroom, years ago. Anyways I'm sure ill be cleared in the next few days its just a hassle that they keep delaying me. The dealer also called OSP to see what the holdup was because he was the same dealer I just purchased the other 2 guns from. But they wouldn't give him any information. Just told him to give me a number and personally call them. I did and sure enough they havnt called back yet. Ill most likely be approved before they even return the call.

hmm I bought a Pistol from a dealer in Salem a couple weeks ago and I think it took all of 5-6 min on the phone to come back approved. Bought a Rifle Friday late afternoon and the dealer ran two of us at the same time the phone was on hold for maybe 20-25 min. But once they picked up the OK came through in less then a couple minutes for both of us.

In the past I don't think I have ever waited more then 10-15 min on the phone to be OKed.

hmm I bought a Pistol from a dealer in Salem a couple weeks ago and I think it took all of 5-6 min on the phone to come back approved. Bought a Rifle Friday late afternoon and the dealer ran two of us at the same time the phone was on hold for maybe 20-25 min. But once they picked up the OK came through in less then a couple minutes for both of us.

In the past I don't think I have ever waited more then 10-15 min on the phone to be OKed.

I think the phone is the way to go. I never used to get holds at all after the first time I bought a handgun. Now Im getting them after getting busted for duii and Im noticing that the holds given over the phone are shorter than the ones given over the internet...

you guys that are experiencing delays have CHL's?

Had one till I got my duii :-( But that does remind me I also had a 5 week hold put on a gun before my duii when I had my chl and a .40 on my hip... The guy today told me has has people with chl and upin get delays all the time. Its OSP. Their backed up, under staffed and sticking their noses where they dont belong. They should just let the feds do what they do. They are called The Federal Bureau of Investigation for a reason...

Had one till I got my duii :-( But that does remind me I also had a 5 week hold put on a gun before my duii when I had my chl and a .40 on my hip... The guy today told me has has people with chl and upin get delays all the time. Its OSP. Their backed up, under staffed and sticking their noses where they dont belong. They should just let the feds do what they do. They are called The Federal Bureau of Investigation for a reason...

You can still have CHL with a DUII I thought? Did you not do diversion or something? I have purchased firearms lately and they always take 5-10 minutes max. I would say over the years probably 20-30 purchases I have been delayed once and it was only till next day.

You can still have CHL with a DUII I thought? Did you not do diversion or something? I have purchased firearms lately and they always take 5-10 minutes max. I would say over the years probably 20-30 purchases I have been delayed once and it was only till next day.

You can have a chl with a duii if it has been 4 years since your last police contact. I had mine, had police contact in a negative way and they took it for 4 years. Ill get it back April 1st 2016. Or that's when I will apply at-least...

I have a driving record about a mile long and one resisting arrest when I was 16. So when they rattle my name into their computer and see 4 pages of stuff come up their sheeple minds get frazzled. Apparently they cant get it together enough to put a note on my file that says I'm ok. So instead they waste man hours looking over a bunch of conducting race event and speeding tickets. Not only wasting their time but the courts that the tickets were in as well. They told me and one of the shops I buy my guns thru that they were putting a note on my file but it either never happened or they cant read very well.... Idk. Its getting old real quick tho. If I wanted to go around them I could. I don't cause I know as well as they do Im legal to have firearms. I keep expecting them to get it together but I guess I shouldn't expect much from them. After all its not like they are supposed to protect and SERVE or anything.lol.

I had to wait three months to get my current gun. They gave me a month out, and then another month out, but OSP eventually approved the sale. I am told, and this could be true, that if you're from out of state, that it takes a long time. I just waited the whole time until the gun shop called me in to come pick it up.

"I think as much as they whine about being understaffed and underfunded they should let the FBI handle this stuff and get their lazy butts out there and catch some poachers and dope growers. Get out from behind the computer, hang up the phone and do some police work. Quit wasting man power on something the federal government already has under control and is obviously better at. Instead of laying off troopers, lay off these pencil pushers that aren't even smart enough to communicate amongst themselves in order to allow hardworking honest Americans to buy a gun... I am so irritated right now. When is the revolution? "

Ther going to try to raise the fee again.... They say they need more help. Which is BS.

I understand your frustration, but would there be an issue if your rap sheet was not, "a mile long". Take some ownership in this issue for yourself.

For the rest of us with clean records, we get a quick once over and the thumbs up, for the rap sheet McMillionaires out there, they see a few pages and simply put it at the bottom of the pile to get looked at in order which they arrive… (Just an educated guess)

I have a driving record about a mile long and one resisting arrest when I was 16. So when they rattle my name into their computer and see 4 pages of stuff come up their sheeple minds get frazzled. Apparently they cant get it together enough to put a note on my file that says I'm ok. So instead they waste man hours looking over a bunch of conducting race event and speeding tickets. Not only wasting their time but the courts that the tickets were in as well. They told me and one of the shops I buy my guns thru that they were putting a note on my file but it either never happened or they cant read very well.... Idk. Its getting old real quick tho. If I wanted to go around them I could. I don't cause I know as well as they do Im legal to have firearms. I keep expecting them to get it together but I guess I shouldn't expect much from them. After all its not like they are supposed to protect and SERVE or anything.lol.

OP: They run your name and get four pages of stuff, including resisting arrest, DUI, racing in the street and a "driving record a mile long"? And you wonder why that delays your review?

What annoys me is that they have already been over it well lets see 27 times. 3 times in the last 6 months and nothing has changed on my McMillionaire rapsheet since then... They even told me they were going to put a note on my file. Which sounds like a great idea since they probably spend 8 hours going over the same B.S. for a $10 background check. I could see if I was a serious criminal but I'm not. I'm just not a quick learner...lol.

I have paid my dues. Ive paid my fines. Which are dang close to one of their years salary's and personally I think they should be doing me favors. JK.

Also I do take ownership of my part in the issue. If I didn't I surely wouldn't have posted about my McMillionaire rapsheet. Love that "Mcmillionaire"...lol.

Its just annoying to go thru the same bs when if they would just put this infamous note on my file they could probably make money of my background checks instead of lose money. Revenue, cash flow and management aren't rocket science. I'll digress here cause now I'm thinking about how disappointed I am in our government in general and I'm starting to feel flushed.

P.S. I do respect LEO's. I have friends that are. I go on ride along's, turn in poachers and dope growers along with other things I feel are right. If I wouldn't have been a stupid kid I would have pursued a career in law enforcement or emergency services. So to those of you reading this thinking I'm an unappreciative jerk I say Thank You, keep up the good work!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top