JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
So my pretty daughter who lives near a Safeway tells this story. And it's new to me. She see's almost daily street people emptying bottles of water into the street. They get them on food stamps, empty them, and go get the .10 cents deposit. On how many levels is this outta whack ?

Bottle Drop is my newest best friend. Twice a week I stop by the apartment building I sold three years ago and a couple of my old tenants give me their bottles & cans. I figure I'm turning in over $25.00 a week in Bottle Drop green bags.
That alone amply supports my imported Hefe Weizen habit.
Plus, I get to drop off my recycle & garbage there at no cost, another $30.00 a month savings.

HELLZ YEAH!! And another benefit of Bottle Drop...20% of when you use your bottle drop account in the for of a chit for purchases at Freddy's, and some others too. Do your shopping, go to the bottle drop machine, figure out how much you'll owe, subtract 20% and enter that amount.

They used to come and get into the bins in my neighborhood. I ran em off a couple a times but my neighbor gets in his truck and gives em hell. Actually the stuff in your recycle bin belongs to the recycler, they are stealing. First your cans then its, look at those crab pots hanging from the side of that garage or that nice 12 speed by the front door. Dont need strangers coming around goin through my stuff:mad:

^^ This

Somebody got into stuff I had under the carport in Everett. Took Junk and good stuff alike.

So my pretty daughter who lives near a Safeway tells this story. And it's new to me. She see's almost daily street people emptying bottles of water into the street. They get them on food stamps, empty them, and go get the .10 cents deposit. On how many levels is this outta whack ?
Unbelievable. So much for having a positive environmental impact.

Yep! It does happen. I don't think soda pop OR water should be allowed as a purchase with food stamps! IT's for FOOD for crap sake!

Yep! It does happen. I don't think soda pop OR water should be allowed as a purchase with food stamps! IT's for FOOD for crap sake!
A lot of states do EBT(electronic benefit transfer) where they just get their money on a debit type card and can even withdraw cash. Yup, you guessed it, they can even buy drugs and alcohol.

That's just wrong. Got to love the world we live in.

They used to come and get into the bins in my neighborhood. I ran em off a couple a times but my neighbor gets in his truck and gives em hell. Actually the stuff in your recycle bin belongs to the recycler, they are stealing. First your cans then its, look at those crab pots hanging from the side of that garage or that nice 12 speed by the front door. Dont need strangers coming around goin through my stuff:mad:

I have watched the tweakers use their Oregon Trail cards or EBT cards of whatever, go buy cases of water, soda or whatever has a deposit, walk over behind the bottle center (Tweaker ATM), dump all the product out, then go redeem the cans and use the cash to go buy beer or cigarettes back at the store, or make a dope connection in the store parking lot which a fing thriving dope deal all day every day. . Happens every day.

Have to agree in "allowing" folks to take the recycled items from the curb will eventually turn into taking other items from the property...give folks an inch, they'll take the mile! Has the potential to spur bigger problems.

We typically keep the bins in the corner of the closed door garage and put them out on the curb the morning off pick-up day. Not a lot of time for folks to go through them, as the recycle truck comes before 9 most weeks. Same day as yard debris, so might not be as lucrative for folks collecting the bottles/cans.

I have watched the tweakers use their Oregon Trail cards or EBT cards of whatever, go buy cases of water, soda or whatever has a deposit, walk over behind the bottle center (Tweaker ATM), dump all the product out, then go redeem the cans and use the cash to go buy beer or cigarettes back at the store, or make a dope connection in the store parking lot which a fing thriving dope deal all day every day. . Happens every day.

This kind of "thing" has long been a nice side benefit (sarcasm) for the people who work to hand out this money. On top of a huge bureaucracy we pay for, we hand out this money a lot of it is used just like this. Back when young and broke but hard working I would take advantage of it. 3d of the month they would send out food stamps of the old kind. I would head to dog track. These were sold for at top, 50 cents on the dollar. Being a "buyers market" if there was not a lot of takers I could some times get them for 40 cents or less on the dollar. I would buy enough to eat the rest of the month. I was still a registered Democrat in those days as that's how I was raised. That was part of what "turned me" and got me to vote for Regan. This is also what worries me. We have created a huge population who only know how to live off hand outs. If it all crashes and they suddenly turn off that money spigot? A lot of these people will turn dangerous.

Have to agree in "allowing" folks to take the recycled items from the curb will eventually turn into taking other items from the property...give folks an inch, they'll take the mile! Has the potential to spur bigger problems.

We typically keep the bins in the corner of the closed door garage and put them out on the curb the morning off pick-up day. Not a lot of time for folks to go through them, as the recycle truck comes before 9 most weeks. Same day as yard debris, so might not be as lucrative for folks collecting the bottles/cans.

just playing devils advocate here so....

Have to agree in "allowing" folks to carry firearms freely will eventually turn into using them in an illegal manor...give folks an inch, they'll take the mile! Has the potential to spur bigger problems. :rolleyes:

[/QUOTE="Mikej, post: 2039571, member: 16179"]just playing devils advocate here so....

Have to agree in "allowing" folks to carry firearms freely will eventually turn into using them in an illegal manor...give folks an inch, they'll take the mile! Has the potential to spur bigger problems. :rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

I like it!!! :s0087::s0087::s0087:

Send 'em to Mexico for two weeks and watch their appreciation for readily available clean water skyrocket.

Man, I'd at least poor the water into a cooler or larger container, then turn in the bottles for money.

You think they would think, nope.

This kind of "thing" has long been a nice side benefit (sarcasm) for the people who work to hand out this money. On top of a huge bureaucracy we pay for, we hand out this money a lot of it is used just like this. Back when young and broke but hard working I would take advantage of it. 3d of the month they would send out food stamps of the old kind. I would head to dog track. These were sold for at top, 50 cents on the dollar. Being a "buyers market" if there was not a lot of takers I could some times get them for 40 cents or less on the dollar. I would buy enough to eat the rest of the month. I was still a registered Democrat in those days as that's how I was raised. That was part of what "turned me" and got me to vote for Regan. This is also what worries me. We have created a huge population who only know how to live off hand outs. If it all crashes and they suddenly turn off that money spigot? A lot of these people will turn dangerous.

I absolutely agree that these types will become dangerous if the govt teet dries up. Think how bad the protesters will be in Portland, entitled, angry, and then hungry.

What I have seen of EBT here in WA State is that people get EBT Food mostly and you can only use that to buy food-type items, which does include water etc.; If you try to use it to buy liquor or whatever the register shouldn't allow that. Once in a while (unsure why / how often) folks getting EBT can get some EBT Cash, that's separate and just $10 or so, once a year. You could buy food and barter it for whatever I guess, but it's not "supposed" to be possible to buy anything other than food or food makings with EBT money.

What I have seen of EBT here in WA State is that people get EBT Food mostly and you can only use that to buy food-type items, which does include water etc.; If you try to use it to buy liquor or whatever the register shouldn't allow that. Once in a while (unsure why / how often) folks getting EBT can get some EBT Cash, that's separate and just $10 or so, once a year. You could buy food and barter it for whatever I guess, but it's not "supposed" to be possible to buy anything other than food or food makings with EBT money.

EBT "electronic Benefit Transfer" covers what used to be called "Welfare" AND "Food Stamps". Food stamps are now called SNAP...Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program. The SNAP portion can only be used for food type stuff. Soda pop, sea food, meats, candy, rice, beans, ice cream etc. Nutritive consumables. The welfare portion of it can be drawn out in cash, THEN, be used to purchase cigarettes and beer/booze/shoes/clothes. The grocery stores have a max that they will give out to people on the program, mostly, I believe, to keep the tills from being drawn out during the first few days of the month. The EBT cards are re-upped durring the first 10 days of each month coinciding with the last number in a persons social security number.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top