JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
My neighborhood sets their recycling out on an every other week basis. Most put it out on Sunday night as the service takes place Monday.

This is the second time now that our neighborhood has been "hit" for lack of better words by what I want to say is a pretty clever person.

I don't drink a lot of soda, or beer from glass or cans, so the small amount of returnable items go into my recycling bin. I take it my neighbors do the same.

Anyways, I could care less about it, but one of my neighbors got ripely pissed off about it. Kind of made me smile and thought I'd check here to see if anyone else's neighborhood is getting raided in the middle of the night by petty thefts!

I should say the name petty theft is minimal to describe this person. Since, we are technically giving away the return fees by literally paying a company to take them away for us!

Still worth a smile in my opinion! Kind of like the tweekers that go around collecting brass in the woods.

Nothing I've noticed, but then again I could care less if they want to raid my recycle. There's always beer cans in it. :D

I had a guy come up to my door to ask if he could have my recyclable bottles and cans. :oops:
I sad yes but don't make a mess. They hit my neighborhood (Vancouver) and others on pick up day
for the Oregon $.10 return. I don't have a problem with this. #1 At least there doing
something to make some money. #2 gets Oregon for there $.10 bottle tax for water
bottles and beer purchased in WA.:D:D:D

I had a guy come up to my door to ask if he could have my recyclable bottles and cans. :oops:
I sad yes but don't make a mess. They hit my neighborhood (Vancouver) and others on pick up day
for the Oregon $.10 return. I don't have a problem with this. #1 At least there doing
something to make some money. #2 gets Oregon for there $.10 bottle tax for water
bottles and beer purchased in WA.:D:D:D
Lol, ya I recall my dad always keeping all the soda cans growing up for our camping trips to Oregon. Back then it was only a nickel a piece too.

I remember one year my dad was pissed because someone stole all the bags we had from our campground while we were away.

We would crush them so a black garbage bad full could have easily a hundred dollars or so in it back then.

I should ask them to start keeping their cans again lol.

They used to come and get into the bins in my neighborhood. I ran em off a couple a times but my neighbor gets in his truck and gives em hell. Actually the stuff in your recycle bin belongs to the recycler, they are stealing. First your cans then its, look at those crab pots hanging from the side of that garage or that nice 12 speed by the front door. Dont need strangers coming around goin through my stuff:mad:

I can pick up a 40 pack of water in Vancouver from Costco for $2.99.
The returned bottles to OR is worth $4.:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:
In Soviet Russia, water pays you to drink.

I think I just found a wonderful new income source!

Lol.

They used to come and get into the bins in my neighborhood. I ran em off a couple a times but my neighbor gets in his truck and gives em hell. Actually the stuff in your recycle bin belongs to the recycler, they are stealing. First your cans then its, look at those crab pots hanging from the side of that garage or that nice 12 speed by the front door. Dont need strangers coming around goin through my stuff:mad:
This is my main concern, petty theft turns into actual theft of stuff I actually care about.

I give my cans to the poor folks at the recycling center.
When I have a load, it's a load. 6 months worth or more.
I'll pick someone out that looks really down and out watch his eyes go big as silver dollars when he sees the load.

:)

My neighborhood sets their recycling out on an every other week basis. Most put it out on Sunday night as the service takes place Monday.

This is the second time now that our neighborhood has been "hit" for lack of better words by what I want to say is a pretty clever person.

I don't drink a lot of soda, or beer from glass or cans, so the small amount of returnable items go into my recycling bin. I take it my neighbors do the same.

Anyways, I could care less about it, but one of my neighbors got ripely pissed off about it. Kind of made me smile and thought I'd check here to see if anyone else's neighborhood is getting raided in the middle of the night by petty thefts!

I should say the name petty theft is minimal to describe this person. Since, we are technically giving away the return fees by literally paying a company to take them away for us!

Still worth a smile in my opinion! Kind of like the tweekers that go around collecting brass in the woods.

Personally? Could care less as long as they don't make a mess. Decades ago the city first had these little bins. One Sunday I am watching the game, knock at the door. Some scuzzy looking guy, wants to know if he can have the cans. I said "it's trash, you want it take it". Shortly one of the kids tells me Cops are out there. Knock at the door, Police officer, 2 cars out there, "did this guy ask if he could have those cans?" I said I told him it's trash but now I know how to get a response when the neighbor is beating his Wife. Call and say someone is stealing my trash and you all will be right here. He was less than amused, I should not really have said it. I was still pissed over something that had happened months before. Watching game on a Sunday, hear what turned out to be domestic, call 911, :35 later they show up. I shrugged it off but then I get a subpoena to go to court over it. Even though I had NOTHING I could tel them I had to take a day off work and sit at court for hours. So I was still a little raw over it all :) It was not the damn Cops fault how it all works and I did feel bad being a smart A$$ to him.

Nothing I've noticed, but then again I could care less if they want to raid my recycle. There's always beer cans in it. :D

You guys need to figure out if you COULD care less, or COULDN'T care less. There IS a difference. :D

I can pick up a 40 pack of water in Vancouver from Costco for $2.99.
The returned bottles to OR is worth $4.:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

You could do that, if you were in the habit of steeling money from the tills at the grocery stores in Oregon you return them to. My wife works at a store that Washingtoner's would come to to steal money from the tills. I'll leave it at, we're a bit sensitive about that practice. These days a lot of the containers that have the deposit, in Oregon, are coded differently so Washington containers won't work in Oregon.

I figure the folks that go from bin to bin in the street are working. Maybe youse guys that don't think much about the dime could set them to the side of the dumpster so they don't have to dig through them?

I asked the guy that picks up my blue bin, he's been with us for quite a few years. He said they used to save the bottles/cans and use it to buy a pizza party, or such for the guys at the shop. They don't do that anymore though, unfortunately.

The real winners in Oregon are the beverage distributors, as they are the ones who get to keep the .10 cent deposit if not turned back to them. Over thirty million bucks of unclaimed revenue each year.
The recycle companies just smash the cans and bottles and sell it for scrap prices.

So the other night I heard someone digging through the recycle bins outside(not unusual at all) but then I hear the distinct sound of the hard plastic wheels rolling on pavement and getting slowly more faint. I go outside and the loser has emptied our recycle bins contents onto the driveway and stolen the blue bin for himself. :mad: These criminals will take anything that is not nailed down so keep anything of value out of sight for sure.
Also, when the bins are at the curb on pickup day is one thing, but if I see them trespassing on our private property to rummage through bins I tell them to get lost. Desperate people make me uneasy.o_O

My brother used to live in Maywood Park and would have people in his yard gathering cans and bottles. He would chase them off often and tell them he puts his cans out the night before and once they are on the curb, they're fair game. I think that is fair, if you don't care about it.

Me? I return every single can and bottle for a refund because I look at it as a TAX and they aren't getting extra jackshizz from me!

There is an old Asian lady in my neighborhood that drives around in her Mercedes that raids people's recycling for bottles and cans. I've seen her do it in broad daylight.

There's a guy that makes his rounds in my neighborhood at 1 AM on Thursday nights in a red truck. He's dropped pins on maps on his phone where the good hauls are.

Bottle Drop is my newest best friend. Twice a week I stop by the apartment building I sold three years ago and a couple of my old tenants give me their bottles & cans. I figure I'm turning in over $25.00 a week in Bottle Drop green bags.
That alone amply supports my imported Hefe Weizen habit.
Plus, I get to drop off my recycle & garbage there at no cost, another $30.00 a month savings.

Bottle Drop is my newest best friend. Twice a week I stop by the apartment building I sold three years ago and a couple of my old tenants give me their bottles & cans. I figure I'm turning in over $25.00 a week in Bottle Drop green bags.
That alone amply supports my imported Hefe Weizen habit.
Plus, I get to drop off my recycle & garbage there at no cost, another $30.00 a month savings.
Oh snap! Thanks for the good word brother!

The real winners in Oregon are the beverage distributors, as they are the ones who get to keep the .10 cent deposit if not turned back to them. Over thirty million bucks of unclaimed revenue each year.
The recycle companies just smash the cans and bottles and sell it for scrap prices.
That's what I'd heard too -- that if you don't return the empties to reclaim your deposit, then the distributors keep the money.

Oregon State has a return rate percentage threshold and it was triggered over a year ago when the container return ratio to the distributors dropped below 70% or so.
The Distributors love the increase as they will see over $50 million in profits annually since the ratio of returned containers vs the containers disposed into the landfill generally will drop a bit, but the increase to .10 cents more then makes up for more being returned.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top