JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Except as provided in subsection (2) of this section, any person who carries concealed upon the person any knife having a blade that projects or swings into position by force of a spring or by centrifugal force, any dirk, dagger, ice pick, slungshot, metal knuckles, or any similar instrument by the use of which injury could be inflicted upon the person or property of any other person, commits a Class B misdemeanor.

1581461862513.png

This is what I carry daily folded in my pocket. It is what I call a 'spear point' blade (three inches) - folding knife - SpeedSafe® Assisted Opening. A Kershaw Barstow.

Is this a dirk or dagger?

From what I can find, Oregon law does not define dirk or dagger.

Webster's Definition of dagger

1: a sharp pointed knife for stabbing

You can stab someone with just about any knife that has a sharp point, so IMO that definition is useless.

Wikipedia: A dagger is a knife with a very sharp point and usually two sharp edges, typically designed or capable of being used as a thrusting or stabbing weapon.

Here is the catch; the Barstow has a false edge on the top of the blade - only one edge is sharp. Being a spear point though, you could certainly stab someone with it.

I rode on the max once, and the person of color across from me was telling one of his friends that he likes to carry a box cutter. He could cut someone and have them bleed out faster that if he stabbed them. Just one of the wonderful individuals you find riding on the Max, lol.

Your knife is probably not a dirk or dagger, but it has " a blade that projects or swings into position by force of a spring or by centrifugal force ".-----so don't carry it concealed. Every interpretation of this law I have
seen says if there is any portion of the pocket clip visible it is not concealed.

Your knife is probably not a dirk or dagger, but it has " a blade that projects or swings into position by force of a spring or by centrifugal force ".-----so don't carry it concealed. Every interpretation of this law I have
seen says if there is any portion of the pocket clip visible it is not concealed.
Unless your jacket or shirt inadvertently covers it. :s0123:

I'm thinking you probably shouldn't carry a sharp rock in your pocket. Now there's another stupid law that the Washington Dumbocrats will copy. Has Bloomberg seen this?

Assisted opening knives are considered normal pocket knives. What you have pictured doesn't fall under the Dirk, dagger or switchblade nomenclature. No cop will give you trouble for having it in your pocket.

Assisted opening knives are considered normal pocket knives. What you have pictured doesn't fall under the Dirk, dagger or switchblade nomenclature. No cop will give you trouble for having it in your pocket.

LEOs don't care about knives in your pocket until they want to detain/arrest you for something else, then at that point they look for every little 'add on' charge they can make. I am not concerned about some LEO stopping me for the knife, I am concerned about what happens if they stop me for something else and have me empty my pockets.

LEOs don't care about knives in your pocket until they want to detain/arrest you for something else, then at that point they look for every little 'add on' charge they can make. I am not concerned about some LEO stopping me for the knife, I am concerned about what happens if they stop me for something else and have me empty my pockets.
If you are worried about having that knife in your pocket maybe you should put it in an old Leatherman case and wear it on your belt.

As a guy who spent 14 years as a Custom Knifemaker Knives that included everything from little single blade slip joint pocket knives to Combat Bowies that were with the 1st Force Recon Marines in the First gulf war. I made Switch blades I made double edged even three edged blades.

That knife would be considered to be Double edged knife. It clearly has two beveled sides that go from tip to Ricasso just because one edge has not been sharpened means nothing. If you are doing something illegal and are carrying that concealed and it ends up in a police officers hand you will be most likely charged with carrying a concealed weapon.

If you are not carrying it concealed clearly visible by means of a pocket clip or some other means that allows someone to tell you have a knife. Then you are mostly good.

If you show that knife to the average person, many will say it looks like a dagger. A spear point blade is designed for stabbing just like a dagger is. The legislative intent was to ban knives designed for stabbing. No where in the statue does it say that a dagger must have two sharp edges. So, it is up to the LEO and the Judge if it looks like a dagger or a dirk or a knife designed for stabbing.
Centrifugal Force: Most modern design folding knives can be wrist flicked open if you try hard enough.
Concealed: A Multnomah County Court ruled that a pocket clip does not make the knife not concealed. The LEO testified that he thought it was a cell phone clip. That was BS, but the judge bought it.

It doesn't have a button or coil spring in it so it's not an auto. Stiletto style blades aren't illegal.

"any knife having a blade that projects or swings into position by force of a spring or by centrifugal force, " This statement doesn't say anything about buttons ir coil springs, and even implies carrying a buck knife in my pocket is illegal regardless of blade size.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top