JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Vancouver Municipal Code
Chapter 7.11 UNLAWFUL POSSESSION OF DANGEROUS KNIVES

Section 7.11.010 Definitions.
a. "Dangerous Knife" means any switch-blade knife or fixed-blade knife; and any other knife having a blade more than three inches in length,
b. "Fixed-blade knife" means any knife, regardless of blade length, with a blade which is permanently open and does not fold, retract or slide into the handle of the knife, and includes any dagger, sword, bayonet, bolo knife, hatchet, axe, straight, edged razor, or razor blade not in a package, dispenser or shaving appliance.
c. "Switchblade knife" means any knife, regardless of blade length, having a blade that opens automatically by hand pressure applied to a button, spring mechanism, or other device, or blade that opens, falls or is ejected into position by force of gravity or by an outward, downward or centrifugal thrust or movement.

Section 7.11.020 Unlawful possession of dangerous knives.
a. It is unlawful for anyone knowingly to carry concealed on one's person any dangerous knife.
b. It is unlawful for anyone knowingly to possess any dangerous knife concealed within a vehicle when the dangerous knife is within reaching distance by any vehicle occupant.

Section 7.11.030 Exemptions.
The proscriptions of this chapter relating to dangerous knives shall not apply to:
a. Lawful hunters, campers or fishermen while on a hunting, camping or fishing trip, including education and travel related thereto.
b. Any person carrying a dangerous knife in a secure wrapper or in a tool box while traveling from or to the place of purchase, from or to a place of repair, or in moving from one place of abode or business to another.
c. Any person carrying a dangerous knife while in his place of abode or fixed place of business.
d. Any person engaged in an activity directly related to a lawful occupation which commonly requires the use of a dangerous knife, provided the dangerous knife, if carried on one's person, is carried unconcealed.
e. Any person in the military service or any commissioned law enforcement officer engaged in the performance of his or her duty or training or in the course of any training, acting pursuant to orders from competent authority.

Section 7.11.040 Penalty - Misdemeanor.
Unlawful possession of dangerous knives is a misdemeanor.

Vancouver Municipal Code
Chapter 7.11 UNLAWFUL POSSESSION OF DANGEROUS KNIVES

Section 7.11.010 Definitions.
a. "Dangerous Knife" means any switch-blade knife or fixed-blade knife; and any other knife having a blade more than three inches in length,
b. "Fixed-blade knife" means any knife, regardless of blade length, with a blade which is permanently open and does not fold, retract or slide into the handle of the knife, and includes any dagger, sword, bayonet, bolo knife, hatchet, axe, straight, edged razor, or razor blade not in a package, dispenser or shaving appliance.
c. "Switchblade knife" means any knife, regardless of blade length, having a blade that opens automatically by hand pressure applied to a button, spring mechanism, or other device, or blade that opens, falls or is ejected into position by force of gravity or by an outward, downward or centrifugal thrust or movement.

Section 7.11.020 Unlawful possession of dangerous knives.
a. It is unlawful for anyone knowingly to carry concealed on one's person any dangerous knife.
b. It is unlawful for anyone knowingly to possess any dangerous knife concealed within a vehicle when the dangerous knife is within reaching distance by any vehicle occupant.

Section 7.11.030 Exemptions.
The proscriptions of this chapter relating to dangerous knives shall not apply to:
a. Lawful hunters, campers or fishermen while on a hunting, camping or fishing trip, including education and travel related thereto.
b. Any person carrying a dangerous knife in a secure wrapper or in a tool box while traveling from or to the place of purchase, from or to a place of repair, or in moving from one place of abode or business to another.
c. Any person carrying a dangerous knife while in his place of abode or fixed place of business.
d. Any person engaged in an activity directly related to a lawful occupation which commonly requires the use of a dangerous knife, provided the dangerous knife, if carried on one's person, is carried unconcealed.
e. Any person in the military service or any commissioned law enforcement officer engaged in the performance of his or her duty or training or in the course of any training, acting pursuant to orders from competent authority.

Section 7.11.040 Penalty - Misdemeanor.
Unlawful possession of dangerous knives is a misdemeanor.

Stupid law! But very good idea to be aware of it!

Do NOT carry a fixed blade (even a 1 inch knife) in the city of Vancouver!!!

It's a house hold joke that when I leave the house I have to change what knife I have on me but I can carry any handgun I want with my permit.

Good general information guys but I don't live in Vancouver (although I have a Vancouver mailing address) and even if I did I would fall under exceptions c, d, and e.

Where I am going to carry the knife it is legal for me to do so in all respects.

Does anyone have any comments concerning the knife itself?

Benchmade 175BK CBK Concealed Backup Knife

175bk_w_bk_sheath_agency_1000x1000_1__13612.1448924703.jpg

Last Edited:
Want a key word in there "concealed"
As far as I know, a sheath isn't being concealed. As far as it being in the car, you just can't reach it. So take it and toss it in the cargo area? Maybe back passenger side door?

I have one, it's a Cold Steel Push Dagger, it is quite sharp and has held up quite well. it has a sort of hard rubber "T" handle that looks and feels kind of like a Houge pistol grip I always thought of it as a back up to a back up, but have found it to be quite handy!
07_28c-014.jpg

I believe that knives sharpened on both sides are considered to be a dagger by Oregon, which is why I switched from a Cold Steel to a Gerber punch dagger. It says Portland, OR right there on the blade so it must be legal.
Gerber-GH-07-670x447.jpg

Just think about how a prosecutor will make it look like an evil knife with its only purpose being to stab someone and that was your premeditated purpose in carrying it. A plain Jane pocket knife with a sharp blade will be just as effective as some evil looking tactical knife.
People advise against carrying a handgun that has been modified. You would be carrying a knife that was designed to stab people. Quite different than carrying a knife that is a tool.

Just think about how a prosecutor will make it look like an evil knife with its only purpose being to stab someone and that was your premeditated purpose in carrying it. A plain Jane pocket knife with a sharp blade will be just as effective as some evil looking tactical knife.
People advise against carrying a handgun that has been modified. You would be carrying a knife that was designed to stab people. Quite different than carrying a knife that is a tool.
Not saying I totally disagree......but.......Double bladed boot knives make for GREAT box openers and cardboard breakdown devices.

Guns are used for.......... to take the magazine out, pop out a cartridge, pull the bullet with your leatherman multitool, then start your fire in a survival situation with the powder from said cartridge, only if its raining.....

Tools and weapons are nothing unless in the hands of "humans"

Hammers and ladders are technically more dangerous....:rolleyes: just sayin

Not saying I totally disagree......but.......Double bladed boot knives make for GREAT box openers and cardboard breakdown devices.

If one were prepping a tool argument for the double edge, throw out the "Hey, I use a double edged razor so if I forget to change the blade I've still got a fresh and safe one. Working with a dull knife is how accidents happen, that's why I demand a knife with an extra"

For the most part, I just carry a little CRKT m16 series (10kz I think? The smaller one)
Folding, light, durable, and I can open it one handed with either hand. I've bought about 10 of them so far, every time I run into a friend or family member near a birthday or Christmas it goes home in their pocket, and I order myself a replacement. With the low weight and small footprint, it never gets left at home out of laziness.

When I do have one on my belt, a basic single edge knife. Still pointy, still plenty sharp, and you've always got the option of mounting a thumb on the back of the blade if you need more pressure or stability. SOG field pup was my favorite for a long time, until I gave it away. Lately I've been using a little carbon Mora that I picked up for a great deal. Simple, effective, aesthetically non-threatening, but every bit as comforting as anything else when I want a sharpened bit of steel.

Could just be my stance, but I've always figured the cool looking ones are best for looking at. Lifetime of using tools that function like a knife with the blade and handle in the traditional arrangement makes me feel like I'll use it better. That configuration is a part of my daily life, where a push dagger type of thing would be it's own skill set, put together for a purpose I'll likely never need, you know? I figure practice would wane when the new and shiny wears off, but that "daily life" thing doesn't seem to be going anywhere just yet.

If one feels unconformable by a single or double edge knife.....avoid........if you dont like to handle then avoid right?
however ownership for a simple knife is totally ridiculous for mere pocket possession as long in withing State/federal rules

SO WHATS THE PROB>?

They look great in tacticool instagram posts, but they have zero versatility, and they are not as effective as a large folder. If you really are looking for a fight stopper, get a XL voyager or espada.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top