Oregon Rifleworks
Advertise on Northwest Firearms
Defensive Arts
Oregon Arms & Ammunition
Low Price Guns
Buster Beaver Cerakote
Gun Deals
Welcome to Northwest Firearms
Join our community, sign up for free today!

Oregon law - dirk, dagger, etc.

Reactions
That's what I was asking. I haven't been to a gun show there in a months. But a couple years ago, I went to several (Portland and Hillsboro) and they're were people selling switchblades and stilettos at those shows. Both of which are illegal to even own in Washington and California, and in Oregon, would not be easily open carried.

I talked to a deputy DA about this specifically. She said, "The answer is complex," meaning it is open to interpretation. She then went on a rather lengthy explanation. If you get arrested, the arresting officer will use his best determination as to whether there is a crime and, if so, will charge you. Then the DA will decide whether to keep those charges, amend them or drop them based on the report or PC affidavit. The law is open to interpretation, use your best judgement... and obviously the attitude of your local law enforcement and DA's office will vary from location to location, big cities vs small rural counties, etc... good luck

RicInOR

Reactions

Reactions
  • Outdoor Cleanup - 2015
  • Woke Up Like This
  • Howdy Y'all
That's what I was asking. I haven't been to a gun show there in a months. But a couple years ago, I went to several (Portland and Hillsboro) and they're were people selling switchblades and stilettos at those shows. Both of which are illegal to even own in Washington and California, and in Oregon, would not be easily open carried.
The law hasn't changed. Both of those blades are legal to own and to open carry. You just can't conceal carry them. Typically, a pocket clip showing is enough to be classified as open carry.

Hawaiian

Reactions
is this a new law? how are they legally selling switch blades and stilettos at Oregon gun shows?
Sales and ownership are legal. "Concealed" carry is not. "Open carry" is legal.
Think about concealed carry vs open carry of a firearm. If the handgun and holster is totally hidden inside your pocket, but a pocket clip attached to the holster is visible outside your pocket, is the firearm concealed or not? It is not an argument I would be comfortable making at my trial. It could be a clip for a phone case, a knife, a holster, an ink pen, a tire gauge or a flashlight.
The main question is, was the fact that it was a knife 'open and obvious' to the LEO who interacted with you. If he testifies that he thought it was a flashlight clip, you are in big trouble.
The statement that as long as the pocket clip is visible, you are good to go, is a thought that has been circulated on multiple knife forums for many many years. In reality, it will not pass a legal test.

Last edited:
Reactions
It’s probable that dirk and dagger were intended to refer only to the fixed-blade variant, and your Kershaw assisted-opener employs a torsion bar, not a spring, so you should be good to go even if it’s concealed. However, without dirk/dagger defined in the statutes a judge can probably make that mean whatever he/she wants until your defense attorney can prove otherwise at your (significant) expense...

Reactions
  • Fight For Your Right
  • Howdy Y'all
  • National Rifle Association
In Idaho a concealed weapons license applies to any dirk, dirk knife, bowie knife, dagger, pistol, revolver or any other deadly or dangerous weapon.

I'm required by Idaho law to tell you that we are full. ;) PS. we can carry all that stuff without a license.

UPCOMING EVENTS

NRA Pistol marksmanship Simulator Training
Defensive Arts Center
4620 SW Beaverton Hillsdale Hwy C2, Portland, OR 97221, USA
Arms Collectors of SWW show is back!
Battleground Community Center
912 E Main St, Battle Ground, WA 98604, USA
Arms Collectors of SWW show is back!
Battleground Community Center
912 E Main St, Battle Ground, WA 98604, USA
.22 Rimfire Challenge
Douglas Ridge Rifle Club
27787 OR-224, Eagle Creek, OR 97022, USA
Cerberus Training Group - Bill Blowers - Tap-Rack Tactical Tac - Pistol
Cerberus Training Group
47 Cattle Dr, Goldendale, WA 98620, USA

LATEST REVIEWS

• Curt's Discount Shooter's Supply
    5.00 star(s)
    Bought two guns from Curts over the past 5yrs and quite a few accessories. They have more of the really nice high-end products. I live on the...
    • Helocat
  • Curt's Discount Shooter's Supply
    4.00 star(s)
    Great place good people, transfer fee is a joke.
    • FireArm
  • Northwest Armory - Milwaukie
    3.00 star(s)
    I used to go in often, even when the store is empty its hard to get someone to help, they say just a sec and never come back to you, or are having...
    • FireArm
  • TJ Gun Sales
    5.00 star(s)
    Great shop and decent selection, good for a hunting rifle or Glock , hit or miss on just about everything else.
    • FireArm
  • Money Market Pawn Shop
    5.00 star(s)
    Great place, people and service.
    • FireArm

SUPPORT NORTHWEST FIREARMS