JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
IP18 defines 'Assault Rifle" as:

3. A semiautomatic, centerfire rifle that has an ability to accept a detachable magazine and has at least one of the following:

(A) A folding or telescoping stock;
(B) Any grip of the rifle, including a pistol grip, a thumbhole stock or any other stock, the use of which would allow an individual to grip the rifle in a manner resulting in any finger on the trigger hand, in addition to the trigger finger, being below any portion of the action of the rifle when firing;
(C) A forward pistol grip;
(D) A flash suppressor; or
(E) A grenade launcher or flare launcher;

Therefore, my son's 22 cal. target rifle is a weapon of war. See how scary it looks?

View attachment 1237007
Sounds like that language is directly from communist California pricks law. Especially the part about pistol grip.

I hope there are groups out there that will directly try to repeal each and every one of California's laws. I think the new OR ones will eventually be overturned but will be long and painful until then.

3. A semiautomatic, centerfire rifle that has an ability to accept a detachable magazine and has at least one of the following:

(B) Any grip of the rifle, including a pistol grip, a thumbhole stock or any other stock, the use of which would allow an individual to grip the rifle in a manner resulting in any finger on the trigger hand, in addition to the trigger finger, being below any portion of the action of the rifle when firing;

Therefore, my son's 22 cal. target rifle is a weapon of war. See how scary it looks?

View attachment 1237007
I should think a squirrel would be terrified

The fine print is not shared with those signing the petition. It also won't be shared with the voters. It is kept from them to hide the true intent, purpose of the proposed ban. The Reverend who is promoting this needs to go back and read the part of the scripture that states, "Thou Shalt Not Lie". He speaks with forked tongue.

Last Edited:
Sounds like that language is directly from communist California pricks law. Especially the part about pistol grip.

I hope there are groups out there that will directly try to repeal each and every one of California's laws. I think the new OR ones will eventually be overturned but will be long and painful until then.
It's the same ignorant boiler plate. To their uneducated minds it looks legit and addresses all the skeery looking features. Like any other political tool is not designed to fix a problem. If you fixed the problem then you would need to stop and that's contrary to incrementalism.

We really do need to educate the undecided, but if you are in the metro areas the second you bring up the topic you are considered a gun nut. It's really very difficult to approach neighbors and acquaintances.

Based upon the Thomas dissertation, none of this passes muster, it all infringes on the Second Amendment. The SoS should now throw these ballot measure out as in direct violation of the Second Amendment of the United States Constitution as well as the Oregon State Constitution.

Do your job Tina, throw these ballot measure out as unconstitutional. Period.

Based upon the Thomas dissertation, none of this passes muster, it all infringes on the Second Amendment. The SoS should now throw these ballot measure out as in direct violation of the Second Amendment of the United States Constitution as well as the Oregon State Constitution.

Do your job Tina, throw these ballot measure out as unconstitutional. Period.
Tina doesn't work for us. She works for the Authoritarian Progressives. Otherwise she wouldn't have allowed IP 17 to move forward based on it's not being a single issue measure.

This is so in the bag that the SoS will probably validate more signatures than were gathered, and if the vote is close then nudge, nudge, wink, wink...

Oregon Firearms Federation is asserting that the fine print of IP17 bans shotguns.

Because of the way the measure is crafted, the future sales of most shotguns will be banned and existing ones will no longer be allowed to be transferred or taken outside of your property unless disassembled.

The more I think about it, the more I wonder if this measure might be too extreme for even many liberal voters here to stomach. I don't doubt a mag ban on it's own would pass nowadays, but some of this stuff is beyond nuts. It's probably among the most authoritarian legislation in the country, and Oregon isn't THAT blue yet. The anti-rights lobby's arrogance might be it's undoing here.

It'll take work, but I think if we hammer this effectively from the right AND left points of view, we might be able to sink it. The initiative's disproportionate impact on nonwhite communities is definitely one of the key things to focus on IMO.

Oregon Firearms Federation is asserting that the fine print of IP17 bans shotguns.

Because of the way the measure is crafted, the future sales of most shotguns will be banned and existing ones will no longer be allowed to be transferred or taken outside of your property unless disassembled.

Do you happen to know the specific part that would affect shotguns? I don't know this author and I don't want to take his word for it (I'm not saying he is wrong, just that I want to check for myself). Thanks!

View attachment 1237007
Yes, you will be required to register that .22 with the state police as an assault rifle. Firearms businesses in OR will shut down as no one will be willing to go to the police station to be photographed, fingerprinted, and entered into a database. Ammo will cease to be sold in stores because there will be little demand. Staunch 2A supporters will leave the state. Everything will fall in line with their plan with this legislation. They don't want "common sense gun laws", they want complete eradication of most firearms in the state and heavy regulation of anything that is left and with no inheritance of "assault weapons" they will eventually get exactly that over time.

Do you happen to know the specific part that would affect shotguns? I don't know this author and I don't want to take his word for it (I'm not saying he is wrong, just that I want to check for myself). Thanks!
7. A semiautomatic shotgun that has both of the following:

(A) A folding or telescoping stock; and
(B) A pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon, thumbhole stock or vertical handgrip.

8. A semiautomatic shotgun that has a fixed magazine that is capable of holding more than 10 rounds or a semiautomatic shotgun that has:

(A) The ability to accept a detachable magazine; or
(B) A revolving cylinder.

7. A semiautomatic shotgun that has both of the following:

(A) A folding or telescoping stock; and
(B) A pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon, thumbhole stock or vertical handgrip.

8. A semiautomatic shotgun that has a fixed magazine that is capable of holding more than 10 rounds or a semiautomatic shotgun that has:

(A) The ability to accept a detachable magazine; or
(B) A revolving cylinder.
Thanks that's just what I was looking for.

Shotguns r da bomb! Luv em, all kinds. My absolute favorite though are the ones with a pistol grip, revolving cylinder, and folding stock.

Tempted to order more of them now...

The measure defines magazines:

(c) "Fixed magazine" means an ammunition feeding device contained in or permanently attached to a firearm in such a manner that the device cannot be removed without disassembly of the firearm action; (d) "Large-capacity magazine" means a fixed or detachable magazine, belt, drum, feed strip, helical feeding device, or similar device, including any such device joined or coupled with another in any manner, or a kit with such parts, that has an overall capacity of, or that can be readily restored, changed, or converted to accept, more than 10 rounds of ammunition and allows a shooter to keep firing without having to pause to reload, but does not include any of the following:
(A) An ammunition feeding device that has been permanently altered so that it is not capable, now or in the future, of accepting more than 10 rounds of ammunition; (B) An attached tubular device designed to accept, and capable of operating only with 0.22 caliber rimfire ammunition; or (C) A tubular ammunition feeding device that is contained in a lever-action firearm.

Virtually any shotgun with a tubular magazine is capable of using mini shells. These greatly increase the unaltered capacity of a shotgun magazine.

See below:

https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/s...their-advantages-disadvantages-and-best-uses/
What's the point?

The immediate advantages of these mini shells are a lot lower recoil and a much higher capacity. A Shockwave can typically hold five shells in the tube, but with the minis, you can squeeze in eight rounds. In my 590 with a 20-inch barrel and 8-round tube, I can pack in 12 cartridges.

Of course with a commonly available mag extension you can go a lot bigger.

I still do not see how IP17 is not in violation of the Single Subject per Ballot Initiative Rule?

See, even their own advertising lists more than one subject

1657419214223.png

It is like enacting a new law that "Limits car engine size to 3.0 liters" AND "Require a Drivers License before you can buy a car"

Obviously Two Subject's on one ballot measure. One addressing the vehicle and the other having to do with the driver.

As most of you already know, your do not need a Drivers License before you can buy a car nor do you need to register the vehicle with the DMV if you only drive it on your own land.

I still do not see how IP17 is not in violation of the Single Subject per Ballot Initiative Rule?

See, even their own advertising lists more than one subject

View attachment 1237339

It is like enacting a new law that "Limits car engine size to 3.0 liters" AND "Require a Drivers License before you can buy a car"

Obviously Two Subject's on one ballot measure. One addressing the vehicle and the other having to do with the driver.

As most of you already know, your do not need a Drivers License before you can buy a car nor do you need to register the vehicle with the DMV if you only drive it on your own land.
I was wondering about that too. Any idea who we'd contact about it? OFF maybe?

I was wondering about that too. Any idea who we'd contact about it? OFF maybe?
My suggestion is to file a written, hard copy, complaint with whatever agency runs election stuff. If they get a written complaint they likely will have to evaluate it which means they will do all the work for you. Only costs the time to write up the complaint. You may have to follow up periodically asking about status if they are slow.

If they brush it off then you could look into lawyer or whatever. Lawyer would also get more urgency most likely being the limited timeframe before November.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top