JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I can only speak for myself but the MAJORITY of fellow officers that I knew never abused their power. I served proudly with 250 fellow officers who put their lives on the line daily to protect. So it infuriates me when supposedly conservative folks who are pro-constitution slam those who swore to protect it. Libtards in sheep's clothing in my opinion.
I guess 25 years of working a gang infested, drug devastated society has hardened my resolve and I have little use for those who armchair quarter back LEO's. :s0057:

Well, not everybody here is conservative. Apparently, libs own firearms too. Go figure. If one is thinking that we will never see a Fuddish post, or one that displays anti-LEO bias, thinking, or feelings, one is likely to be disappointed. There exists a need to adjust expectations because we need people like you here!!!

But I understand where you are coming from and I hope you don't go... we haven't enjoyed that pint yet!

Thank you for your service and dedication to the job, and to your fellow man!!!

bb

While I am a law abiding citizen and do my best to be within the law, I find this ruling great. I have the most respect for those who serve in all capacities.

There is no reason any officer should be asking questions beyond the reason they pulled you over in the first place. Quite simply, this is a fishing expedition.

The same applies to the officer who is called to your house because your crackhead sons mother accuses you of abuse and you talk to the officer outside.

"No sir, what is in my house is none of your business, you are here to discuss this accusation and this accusation only."

Now let's be the advocate on this: I know there are people who are pissed (and rightly so) of the 'safe storage' bill that the Oregon Legijokeure is wanting to put through. Same applies here. Officer cannot compound and should not be able to compound anything else they ask about in a home. They should not be asking about things outside of the scope of the original 'violation'.

Right?

IMO, they can ask whatever they want. I don't feel obligated to answer.

Do I get peeved if the wife or the waitress asks me if I want another cup of coffee? It's not like they are inviting me to an investment opportunity! ;):p:)

IMO, they can ask whatever they want. I don't feel obligated to answer.

Do I get peeved if the wife or the waitress asks me if I want another cup of coffee? It's not like they are inviting me to an investment opportunity! ;):p:)
Correct, but as a position of authority with the backing of the City, County, State, many feel obligated.

As a waitress, that is not a fair comparison. :cool:

And I agree, as 'woke' individuals, we know we don't have to answer but..

Consider this, we can be in trouble with not complying with direct orders. "please open that door" is different than 'open that door'
I've been in that position many years ago and only until I was ordered to unlock the passenger door did I do so and it was an illegal search.

Correct, but as a position of authority with the backing of the City, County, State, many feel obligated.

I know. ;)

But I grew up in the '60s... so there's "Stand up to the Man!!!" LOL

I know my rights. Let others look out for themselves... Don't need no stinkin rulings.

And I agree, as 'woke' individuals, we know we don't have to answer but..

Consider this, we can be in trouble with not complying with direct orders. "please open that door" is different than 'open that door'
I've been in that position many years ago and only until I was ordered to unlock the passenger door did I do so and it was an illegal search.

Of course there's the traditional "Up against the wall MFr!!" too. I never experienced it, nor any of my buds, but it sure was a popular saying!!!

I was recently on a Sunday drive with the girlfriend in Klickitat County Washington, came up on a sheriff's deputy doing 49 in a 50mph zone. We passed, he pulled us over. Said we were going 54, I told him we needed to accelerate to get by him, and 4 over wouldn't stick in court. Short cop in a power tripping mood. 2 61 year old ranchers in a brand new truck. He offered to show us that it would stick, I suggested he had better things to do than hassle good guys. 54 in a 50 zone on a Sunday morning, zero traffic. Short man with a gun=trouble. He had to show us who was the boss. We were not impressed, and told him so. He came to his senses and we got off with a warning. I always thought you could accelerate around a slow driver when passing. I stand corrected.

I always thought you could accelerate around a slow driver when passing. I stand corrected.

Mmmmm, it's never said that in the Driver Manual but it was kinda understood to be a grace thing that one should not overdo. Technically, one may not break the speed limit, or other laws, to pass.

You pass cops when they are doing the speed limit? Or 1mph under, disregarding speedometer inaccuracies. Ballsy man! And you don't think that's kinda asking for it??? :confused:

I cooperate but I don't consent, I don't answer any questions. What is the crime I have committed?

Good. Did they stop for a traffic violation or a cri inal investigation? One has nothing to do with the other.

Edit: I got pulled over once going 37 in a 35 (couldnt tell, my needle bounced a bit). Well it was in one if those "advisory speed 30" areas. I didn't even know what to say to the cop when he said "going a little fast!?" it was so hideous, i just asked, its 35 right?. He asked If we were doing anything stupid like drinking and driving... I lauged and said "no." After changing his story, saying I swerved into the bikelane and me laughing again just saying "I did not", he let me and my wife go. That was in my 68 plymouth, we thought he just wanted to check out the car. I genuinely had no idea what this was about when I saw the lights behind me. Not a warning, not ticket, nothing. Just a "be safe, good night"

Last Edited:
I can only speak for myself but the MAJORITY of fellow officers that I knew never abused their power. I served proudly with 250 fellow officers who put their lives on the line daily to protect. So it infuriates me when supposedly conservative folks who are pro-constitution slam those who swore to protect it. Libtards in sheep's clothing in my opinion.
I guess 25 years of working a gang infested, drug devastated society has hardened my resolve and I have little use for those who armchair quarter back LEO's. :s0057:

I am most definitely not a conservative, nor am I a liberal. I am a libertarian.

Most LEOs I worked with, and most I have encountered were professional, but I have had to deal with a few that were not. Like the traffic cop who stopped me because of the "Legalize Freedom" sticker on my helmet, gave me grief because of that and because I was going for a ride instead of looking for a job, held me there for 30 minutes and then let me go without a ticket.

Or the deputy sheriff who gave me grief because I didn't see his hand signal on a darkish overcast day when he was passing me going the other way at 60 MPH for a combined speed difference of 120 MPH.

Or another deputy sheriff who gave me grief about my pickup being a "piece of S***" because one of my tail lights was flickering. Or the Salem city cop who tried to blame me when a city bus pulled out in front of me (I won that case - I slammed on my brakes, but still hit it).

And so on. :rolleyes:

Been driving for 50 years, so I have had ample time to encounter some of these guys.

Being supportive of LEOs doesn't mean that I have to support them being able to go on fishing expeditions whenever they stop someone, or even stopping someone just to go on a fishing expedition. And yes, I've seen enough of that; "where are you going?", "where are you employed?", "do you have any weapons in the car?" and so on - all of that I have heard. I don't have a record - no arrests, I don't look the part of a criminal, I don't drink or smoke, my only issue has been that I at times go over the speed limit.

For the past 15 years I have been driving upscale vehicles in perfect working order - and still I get the questions that are none of their business as they are totally unrelated to the fact that I was doing 10+ over the speed limit.

I was recently on a Sunday drive with the girlfriend in Klickitat County Washington, came up on a sheriff's deputy doing 49 in a 50mph zone. We passed, he pulled us over. Said we were going 54, I told him we needed to accelerate to get by him, and 4 over wouldn't stick in court. Short cop in a power tripping mood. 2 61 year old ranchers in a brand new truck. He offered to show us that it would stick, I suggested he had better things to do than hassle good guys. 54 in a 50 zone on a Sunday morning, zero traffic. Short man with a gun=trouble. He had to show us who was the boss. We were not impressed, and told him so. He came to his senses and we got off with a warning. I always thought you could accelerate around a slow driver when passing. I stand corrected.
If you can not increase your speed to pass a slow moving driver, you are creating a hazard - not only to you, but oncoming traffic. Try passing on Highway 30 between St Helens and Rainier without stomping on the gas. It is not going to happen. I would like to see the law or rules that specifically apply to passing. Are you supposed to follow a beat-up work/farm vehicle down the road doing 10 mph under rather than do 10 mph + over the speed limit to get around it, which in many cases is just a suggested speed.

If you can not increase your speed to pass a slow moving driver, you are creating a hazard - not only to you, but oncoming traffic. Try passing on Highway 30 between St Helens and Rainier without stomping on the gas. It is not going to happen. I would like to see the law or rules that specifically apply to passing. Are you supposed to follow a beat-up work/farm vehicle down the road doing 10 mph under rather than do 10 mph + over the speed limit to get around it, which in many cases is just a suggested speed.
Yes. If you can not pass without going over the speedlimit, you legally shouldn't pass! Dead serious!

Yes. If you can not pass without going over the speedlimit, you legally shouldn't pass! Dead serious!
SOFAB, I looked it up and sure enough you are not supposed to exceed the speed limit when passing. I learn something new every day. THAT IS THE STUPIDIST RULE OF THE ROAD THAT I HAVE EVER RUN INTO !!!

I have passed cars at speeds exceeding 80 mph with a State Patrol watching. He never made a move to come after me. I generally signal, pass and signal and back in - it should be no harm no foul.

Sincere thanks for all who set the record straight. Will it change my driving habits? Only time will tell.

Thats why you have 3 lanes all clogged with people who drive the same speed.

So yeah... I mean, I speed up too, to pass someone safely. If I got someone barely going 45 in a 55, I speed up to make a fast and safe pass. For me as a German, thats no real speed to begin with anyway...lol.

Thats why you have 3 lanes all clogged with people who drive the same speed.

So yeah... I mean, I speed up too, to pass someone safely. If I got someone barely going 45 in a 55, I speed up to make a fast and safe pass. For me as a German, thats no real speed to begin with anyway...lol.
70% of the German highway system has no speed limit! Driving distances here in the US are significantly longer, traffic density is significantly lower. Lived 10 years in Germany and put enough miles (sorry, km) on the Autobahn to confidently say 55 mph (or even 75 mph) is a joke.

Last Edited:
SOFAB, I looked it up and sure enough you are not supposed to exceed the speed limit when passing. I learn something new every day. THAT IS THE STUPIDIST RULE OF THE ROAD THAT I HAVE EVER RUN INTO !!!

I have passed cars at speeds exceeding 80 mph with a State Patrol watching. He never made a move to come after me. I generally signal, pass and signal and back in - it should be no harm no foul.

Sincere thanks for all who set the record straight. Will it change my driving habits? Only time will tell.

They're all "suggested speed limits" to me!!! ;););):D

Piling on: (lmao)

Oregon Drivers Manual

6. Do not exceed the posted speed limit when passing another vehicle. It is against the law to exceed the posted speed limits.

You asked for it, you got it! Remember when I posted that it was "technically" against the law to go over the speed limit when passing? But the rules talk about passing a slower moving vehicle, and even define that as 10-15mph slower, not about passing cops that are going within 1mph of the speed limit. If I was that cop, I'd be wondering "What is this guy's problem? What is he trying to prove? Is he drunk or on something???" :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews