JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I'll never forget the time I got snagged for 30 in a school zone. I'd been at the range almost the entire day. Sheriff asked if I had any weapons :eek:, my car was butt-dragging with weapons. He laughed, said "have a nice day" and advised I be more careful in a school zone. No ticket.

Ratfink,

Most here are pro-L.E. from what I can tell.

Don't let a few negative statements turn you away.

Ever read the reviews for products available at Amazon?

There's always some negative reviews even when the majority are positive.

Same kinda thinking here.

Ratfink,

Most here are pro-L.E. from what I can tell.

Don't let a few negative statements turn you away.

Ever read the reviews for products available at Amazon?

There's always some negative reviews even when the majority are positive.

Same kinda thinking here.

My Coastie buddy's daughter recently "friended" me on FB. I'm pretty selective about who I let in, but I knew her when she was little, so I said ok. After two days she asked my why I was so critical... told her it came natural to me. :D Didn't want to mention that I have no time for whiny, neurotic, crybabies, so I unfollowed her posts. :oops: It's the "ignore" button for FB. :cool:

I don't drink number one, number two, we didn't blow past him and leave him in the dust, we slowly passed him then resumed going 50 mph. We thought he was on his phone, knew he was a cop, and proceeded accordingly. I've had many cop friends tell me they generally won't pull someone over unless they're going at least 8-10 over. There are an abundance of really nice Klickitat County sheriff's deputies, but on every force there's always a height disadvantaged power tripper, with a need to ruin a nice Sunday morning drive in the country, by being a knucklehead. Oh, and I waved at him as we passed, as I wave to all LEO's that I see.

Hmmm. Being that I'm an old fart now and stay out of trouble, I feel as follows. If you're not doing anything wrong, you shouldn't fear various questions. Because you can give naturally honest answers.

One of my former neighbors was a local sheriff's deputy. I went on a ride-along with him once. In general, he was a dick in life. But one thing he told me is when he pulled people over for an infraction, the percentage of them having a warrant out on them was much higher than the general population. I guess meaning his experience was problem people were apt to be problem drivers. Turning that around, when he pulled a problem driver over, they were apt to already be a bad guy for one reason or other.

His other assessment of stopped drivers was this. One of his stock questions was, "Where do you work?" He said that when asked, a HUGE number of responses was, "I'm on L&I." For you Oregon people, L&I stands for, Labor and Industries. The Wash. state department that deals with work disability claims. I guess this guy was implying, "bad guys = bogus/fake L&I claims."

Which brings me to another thing I wonder about. I'm retired, so I'm "allowed" to be out driving around in the middle of the day. But I often think, "Shouldn't most of these people have jobs and be at work?" Yeah, I know, they are "working at home" which I hear from a couple of my own adult children. Oh, and there's, "I'm an Uber driver."

There is good and there is bad in every profession. There is no reason to think that all LEO's are great at their job. You just have to hope they are. Angies List even rates doctors now. Does anybody, anywhere, rate LEO's and is that info is available to the public? And it's gotta be one of the toughest jobs going. Psycho's everywhere and who can tell. The cop doesn't know you from jack. None the less, getting pulled over by a bad cop is no fun. Most of the cops experiences are less than cool. There is no simple answer to this issue. Personally, I just try and behave when dealing with law enforcement. I'm near 79 and have had my share of run ins. Most of the time I deserved it. But for those few times I didn't, I'm still resentful. I always write this chit when I've had a few. Peace people, it's that time of the year.

There is good and there is bad in every profession. There is no reason to think that all LEO's are great at their job. You just have to hope they are. Angies List even rates doctors now. Does anybody, anywhere, rate LEO's and is that info is available to the public? And it's gotta be one of the toughest jobs going. Psycho's everywhere and who can tell. The cop doesn't know you from jack.

This pretty much expresses my outlook. No reason to expect that lawmen don't come in a range of quality like everything and everyone else. True, they are pretty well-paid these days, nothing like when only out-of-work Irishmen would take the job. But it's tough work and as time goes by, gets more politically and legally constrained. Used to be, if there was any doubt, they could drag you in and let the courts figure it out. Now I suppose in addition to everything else they encounter, they always have this worm in their brain causing them to think about what action will or will not affect their continued employment and/or pension.

I don't think there's an Angie's List for cops, but the Seattle Times regularly carries stories that relate to professional misconduct. Farther north, we read about the same kind of stuff here. These days it's more and more difficult to keep secrets.

I don't drink number one, number two, we didn't blow past him and leave him in the dust, we slowly passed him then resumed going 50 mph. We thought he was on his phone, knew he was a cop, and proceeded accordingly. I've had many cop friends tell me they generally won't pull someone over unless they're going at least 8-10 over. There are an abundance of really nice Klickitat County sheriff's deputies, but on every force there's always a height disadvantaged power tripper, with a need to ruin a nice Sunday morning drive in the country, by being a knucklehead. Oh, and I waved at him as we passed, as I wave to all LEO's that I see.

Going slower than the speed limit is a tactic to get cars to pass the police vehicle to run plates and observe for possible DUI. Some state patrols are notorious for driving ten to fifteen under the limit, if someone won't pass, they suspect there may be an "issue."

When passing it only makes since to get it done. The more time spent in the oncoming lane the higher the risk of a accident. I've had people pass me going like 1 mph faster than Me. They spent a unbeivable amount of time in the oncoming lane . some with corners in site. Its better just to follow than to jeopardize others safety over 1mph.

"When he pulls over cars for traffic violations, police officer Erik Faulkner testified in 2015, he routinely asks drivers if they have weapons, drugs, or any other contraband. Because of a recent decision by the Oregon Supreme Court, Faulkner will have to cut that out, and so will every other cop in the state. "
Sounds like the 4th amendment in action

I've either been a LEO or trained them (still) for the past 34 years now. I have seen a recent shift over the past decade by (some) younger officers to ask really inappropriate questions to everyone. As in, "Are you on probation/parole, have any weapons, illegal drugs or stolen goods?" to EVERYONE. So I ask they why they do this to 87 year old grandma going to church on Sunday. They reply, "To show I'm being fair." My reply is generally, "No, it shows you are an idiot with no common sense." They don't like that answer.

Almost every car stop arrest that begins with a broken light or moving violation is because of good questions. Ask a few and you get a feel if there is something more there. If nothing is there, show that you are professional and care for their welfare (you better if you are in this line of work) and off everyone goes.

This is going to be an interesting ruling. You have never been able to detain someone without cause. Expect lots of possible appeals for thousands currently in jail.

Sometimes what you drive gives you an edge in placing you beyond suspicion. Or how you look. Non-racial profiling is always going on. You see someone in dirty clothes, hasn't shaved in several days, uses foul language, he gives the impression of being edgy and a possible suspect for whatever reason. If they act sensible and look clean, most old people don't make good suspects for "routine stops."

So as in my case, I'm nearly 70 years old and usually driving an old Mercury Grand Marquis that is clean and in good order. I'm pretty much invisible to most LEO's so long as I don't do anything stoopid.

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews