JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
While it is correct, that you do not have to tell the officer in Oregon you are armed as long as you are a legal possessor of Conceal Handgun License.

I have been informed, that if you own a car, have the car registered and have a CHL, those two are linked in the Police Officer's in car computer system. Thus, they most likely will know you have that license.

So, this is my long winded way of saying, tell them or not, if you are driving your car, there is a good chance they already know. Personally, I would inform the office politely and with your hands resting clearly on the steering wheel.

But this is mainly personal opinion, and thus each person must make your own choice.

M

I went on a ride along once and the cop ran my name only and his computer instantly showed SS number, complete ODL history and CHL status. So you know the reverse is true for each of those bits of info. I take this fact and assume that its an opportunity to make a gesture to the cop that you're gonna be cool--that is showing your CHL up front. Further any cop will tell you that if you argue at all or display attitude you're going to get the ticket and the reason is that if someone goes in and complains about getting pulled over, getting a ticket blah blah and the cop DIDN'T ISSUE one....then the cop gets taken to task over why he/she pulled them over in the first place. Further, if you've been to court you know that there is no difference between the cops word and a fact in the eyes of the judge. So, the cop issues the ticket often times based solely on your attitude, knowing that he's got to cover his future interests.

Moral of the story, show your CHL, keep your mouth shut, say sir/maam and you've got a chance. Don't and you probably don't have a chance. Finally, if you have principles which dictate that you act defiantly you'd do better to save yourself the cost of the ticket and take up the fight somewhere besides the side the road versus someone with the full force of the courts, the law and the right to shoot behind him/her.

Agree. I've always shown my CHL license when dealing with officers. Only had one instance where the officer (Washington County Sheriff) removed my weapon from my hip. He did a great job, and I give the responding officers that night a multitude of respect for a job well done. He took my sidearm, unloaded it, and eventually locked it inside the glovebox of my truck. Which I am very okay with. Probably don't need my weapon with 10 cops standing around and six patrol cars with lights twirling around.

I always show mine, as a goodwill gesture like others have said. They're going to find out about it anyway, and by showing them it helps to build a bit of trust between yourself and the officer from the get-go. Almost every officer I've shown it to has been very cool about it, and the exception was a female motorcycle cop (two strikes).

I say exactly what a cop friend of mine told me,he's a training Sgt."Officer,I have a CHL,and I'm currently armed,(DO NOT USE THE WORD "GUN"),how would YOU like me to proceed?"Then,do exactly as the officer says.After all,it's HIS peace of mind you're trying to accomplish...I tell them this because my carry gun is next to the wallet I will be reaching for,and if I was in the officers position,that's not a good time for surprises...Just my $.02...

when I get pulled over. I place my hands plams up on the steering wheel and have the window down. I wait til the officer gets up to my car and inform them that I have my handgun. I never lie to them if asked how fast I was going I tell them the truth. I have been pulled over 8 or 10 time in the past 8 years (I commute on I-5) and have not gotten a ticket about half the time.

I say exactly what a cop friend of mine told me,he's a training Sgt."Officer,I have a CHL,and I'm currently armed,(DO NOT USE THE WORD "GUN"),how would YOU like me to proceed?"Then,do exactly as the officer says.After all,it's HIS peace of mind you're trying to accomplish...I tell them this because my carry gun is next to the wallet I will be reaching for,and if I was in the officers position,that's not a good time for surprises...Just my $.02...

+1 It is the polite thing to do.

I always show mine, as a goodwill gesture like others have said. They're going to find out about it anyway, and by showing them it helps to build a bit of trust between yourself and the officer from the get-go. Almost every officer I've shown it to has been very cool about it, and the exception was a female motorcycle cop (two strikes).

Like Joey and AF said, it is polite to show the permit along with your DL, insurance, and reg.

It lets them know, right away, that you are one of the "good guys"

He/She will know that you have passed a criminal background check and you are not a threat.

I always keep both hands on the wheel. Several cops have told me that is also non-threatening and proper.

They also comment that they like having the ID/reg/ins/ccw handed to them as soon as they get to your window (before they ask for it)

They also comment that they like having the ID/reg/ins/ccw handed to them as soon as they get to your window (before they ask for it)

That's what makes me nervous. They know before I stop that I have a CHL. Last thing I need is a paranoid officer seeing me dig around my pockets and anywhere else before they get to my door. I rather just keep my hands on the wheel and wait....just because I have a CHL and passed a check how ever many years ago that it was renewed, doesn't mean I didn't have a bad day myself and decide to snap.

Years ago I was stopped by at least 6 officers, guns drawn, (Shotguns too), little mistaken identity on my vehicle, bad time to be digging around before they get to my door. VERY bad :s0131:

I have my reg and ins in the visor, and I pull my wallet out as I am pulling over.

I place it on the arm-rest before the car comes to a stop. I slide the license and permit out before they even get out of their car.

As they are getting out of their car, I have bot hands on the wheel, all the info is between my fingers as well.

The first thing the officer sees (besides my head) as he approaches my car is my hands.

They usually say thanks for having the info out. They get tired of asking for it.

Yes, lunging for your glove box when an officer has his gun drawn on you is a bad idea.

I have my reg and ins in the visor, and I pull my wallet out as I am pulling over.

I place it on the arm-rest before the car comes to a stop. I slide the license and permit out before they even get out of their car.

As they are getting out of their car, I have bot hands on the wheel, all the info is between my fingers as well.

The first thing the officer sees (besides my head) as he approaches my car is my hands.

They usually say thanks for having the info out. They get tired of asking for it.

Yes, lunging for your glove box when an officer has his gun drawn on you is a bad idea.
You got it down pat! I'm less experienced.....I don't get pulled over enough to have the muscle memory. :s0053:
:s0113:

Could you elaborate on this, or possibly link to a thread where you have already explained the situation? I'd like to hear about that, I feel it would be very good to learn from.

Oh no situation, she just wasn't very nice.

I handed her my license, insurance, and CHL. She looked at my CHL.

Her: "Why are you giving me this?"
Me: " Don't most officers prefer that CHL holders give their CHL to the officer along with their license? I've been told that before."
Her: "Are you carrying now?"
Me: "No ma'am."
Her: "Then why would I want to see it?"

As she shoves it back to me.

Worst traffic stop I've ever had.

Oh no situation, she just wasn't very nice.

I handed her my license, insurance, and CHL. She looked at my CHL.

Her: "Why are you giving me this?"
Me: " Don't most officers prefer that CHL holders give their CHL to the officer along with their license? I've been told that before."
Her: "Are you carrying now?"
Me: "No ma'am."
Her: "Then why would I want to see it?"

As she shoves it back to me.

Worst traffic stop I've ever had.

"What if I was carrying, would you appreciate it? I didn't mean to offend you. Why would you ask me rhetorical questions?"

I get pulled over all the time.

Helps a bit having LE plates though:s0114::s0114::s0114:

Are you a private investigator? Who is allowed to use those plates, and how does it help?

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top