JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Keeping the vehicle's registration and insurance docs on the visor is VERY bad idea. If your car ever gets broken into, they WILL find and snag this, and they then know far too much about you, where you live, etc. Quite common for the perps to go straight from your just broken into car to your house... which they can assume is unoccupied, as your car is known to be elsewhere. At the very least, hide them well, not in monkeybox or such. I always keep insurance docs in my wallet. If there are multiple operators, have copies in each person's wallet. I don't even like the fact that the VIN is required to be visible from the outside. In Europe this is considered private information. Part of why I prefet to drive cars too old to have this "feature".

Keeping the vehicle's registration and insurance docs on the visor is VERY bad idea. If your car ever gets broken into, they WILL find and snag this, and they then know far too much about you, where you live, etc. Quite common for the perps to go straight from your just broken into car to your house... which they can assume is unoccupied, as your car is known to be elsewhere. At the very least, hide them well, not in monkeybox or such. I always keep insurance docs in my wallet. If there are multiple operators, have copies in each person's wallet. I don't even like the fact that the VIN is required to be visible from the outside. In Europe this is considered private information. Part of why I prefet to drive cars too old to have this "feature".

I have a piece of paper blocking my VIN. If an officer needs to see it, I will remove it. Is it against OR law?

I am starting to wonder if we need better driving skills, considering so many of you get pulled over! If you've seen me you'd know I am the perfect candidate for this, but still have managed to one speeding ticket. **knock on wood** :bash:

:D

I had two different bad experiences when I showed my CWP to paranoid cops. I don't do it anymore and have had much better luck. Usually when they come back from running my dl, they ask me if I have my cwp and if I have a gun on me. I tell them yes and where my gun is and don't have a problem. I have had them ask me a couple of times why I didn't tell them in the first place, and I tell them that I had two bad experiences doing so, including having a gun pulled on me, and will no longer do so. They have been very understanding and not threatened at all. Doing so, they have never even removed my gun.

I have only been pulled over once in the last 20 years. I forgot to put on my seat belt pulling out of a parking lot. I did not say anything about my CHL and the office did not ask anything. Hopefully, I won't have to worry about it for another 20 years.

While it is correct, that you do not have to tell the officer in Oregon you are armed as long as you are a legal possessor of Conceal Handgun License.

I have been informed, that if you own a car, have the car registered and have a CHL, those two are linked in the Police Officer's in car computer system. Thus, they most likely will know you have that license.

So, this is my long winded way of saying, tell them or not, if you are driving your car, there is a good chance they already know. Personally, I would inform the office politely and with your hands resting clearly on the steering wheel.

But this is mainly personal opinion, and thus each person must make your own choice.

M

Good idea about keeping hands visible!!!! I hadn't thought of that.
I agree and would inform the officer in a tactful manner.
I would suggest saying the word "license" before saying the word "handgun".
Example: " Just to be upfront, I have a license for concealed handgun."

The officer teaching my CHL class strongly advised always handing over your license and CHL card simultaneously. However I remember hearing from an acquaintance that once a cop took it as an implied threat when he did that so. I would play it by ear.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top