JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Super jazzed, no MEGA JAZZED! I should have it by June and I'm looking forward to some competition matches. Still deciding on the scope however, I'm enjoying taking my time. This will be my second Springfield, I use my M1A to hunt with and it's a great all around battle rifle.

I like my IOR, 4-14x50 30mm SFP Tactical Scope SF Standard MP-8 Dot Reticule - Tactical Scopes - Scopes (have one on my target AR too). The MP-8 Dot is very precise and yet very quick to pick up. I have mine mounted on a Sadlak mount which is an amazing mount. If you plan on using the open sites you cant beat this. Since I dont use the open sites on this one I wish I would have gone with the ARMS 18 mount which sets much lower.

DSC05939.jpg

I was leaning towards a Zeiss Conquest, Burris black diamond or Leupold...though not sure which one since they have made there line up really confusing. Also really happy to see another M14 guy, yea I call the M14's since that's what they are, never got use to that M1 crap since my tank was an M1 and not a rifle.

The M14 is ANY M14 not made by Springfield. M1A is a proprietary for Springfield's semi auto M14. There are tons of companies that make semi auto M14 but ONLY Springfield makes an M1A.

If memory suits me the battle zero for the m21 is 270 yards or something close to that. But I could be way off considering I'm on Vicodin and Yukon jack right now.
sounds like a party to me!

And some day, I missed out last year on a beautiful Black M1A/m14 socom "16" all rails and I said sounds good get me paper work, sadly another guy finished up on the same rifle moments before I did and the guy pulled the gun off the wall, and it went home with him

some food for thought...........
The M-21/M-14/M-1A all fire the standard NATO 7.62x51mm Open Tip Match (OTM) ammunition which is the standard Sniper ammunition still in use today by Snipers who employ the M-24, the M-21 and other 7.62x51mm Sniper Weapon Systems. The max effective range of the M-24 (AKA Remington 700 on crack) is 800 meters, which fires the same ammunition as the M-14. Granted you can hit targets further than that but not with a consistency that is acceptable as a "Sniper". So I caution someone who wants to get a zero at more than 800 meters.
But, to answer the question, the Battle Sight Zero for the M-21/M-14 is 250 meters with the iron sights.

Well they all CAN fire "standard NATO 7.62x51mm Open Tip Match (OTM) ammunition" that does not mean all do. Which "snipers" employ it?

Army says 800 meters, yet the USMC says 1000 yards.

So basically all of your information comes from a single source with a single opinion..........

What is the harm of shooting over 800 yards/meters? In most applications uuummm none.

Well they all CAN fire "standard NATO 7.62x51mm Open Tip Match (OTM) ammunition" that does not mean all do. Which "snipers" employ it?

Army says 800 meters, yet the USMC says 1000 yards.

So basically all of your information comes from a single source with a single opinion..........

What is the harm of shooting over 800 yards/meters? In most applications uuummm none.

Never said there was any "harm" in shooting over 800m....... just said that from an Army Sniper standpoint, it isnt GENERALLY done with sniper rifles that fire 7.62x51mm sniper ammunition.
Have I ever done it? No. Because I AM NOT A TRAINED SNIPER.
Do I know a thing or 2 about MILITARY weapons (both US AND Foreign), the capabilities of them and how to properly employ them from an ARMY standpoint since I am in the Army? Yes I do.

Which "snipers" employ it? The US Army issues the M-21 to its Squad Designated Marksmen who receive a crash course in "sniper" operations. (a very condensed course mind you) Wikipedia the M-21 and it will tell you that it fires the 7.62×51mm NATO cartridge. M21 Sniper Weapon System - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
This cartridge IS the "standard NATO 7.62x51mm Open Tip Match (OTM) ammunition". This means that "The M-21/M-14/M-1A all fire the standard NATO 7.62x51mm Open Tip Match (OTM) ammunition" (from my earlier posting) as that is the ammunition that the weapon system was designed to fire.
Here are links to the wright-ups from Wikipedia on the M-14 as well as the M-24 (which fires the exact same ammunition) for you if you would like.
M14 rifle - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
M24 Sniper Weapon System - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

So basically, any Sniper who carries the M-21, the M-14, or the M-24 are the "snipers" (the way you punctuated it) who employ the "standard NATO 7.62x51mm Open Tip Match (OTM) ammunition" to answer your thoughtfull question.

(my God! Are we serriously having an arguement about who uses NATO 7.62x51mm OTM ammunition?????? I mean, come on!)

I do not know your background Sir but please trust me that I do know 1 or 2 things about Military weapon systems.
Bottom line?
A little tolarance goes a long way. There is always the chance that someone could know more than me..... alot more. And I welcome the opportunity to learn from them. But if all you want to do is to TRY to sharp-shoot me and TRY to make me look dumb then you, good Sir, have got another thing coming.
Just because someone is new to the site does not mean that they are ignorant.

Good day..........
-Troy-

So all based on Army, got it.

You first post implied that ALL "snipers" use the same systems with the same ammo and the same range. This is just not true. That is why I asked what "snipers". I also didnt know only "trained snipers" shoot 800m +.

My background is I held an airsoft one time and managed to shoot my foot. Real guns are too scary now.

Didn't mean to offend you with a question of what "snipers" since it appeared that your info covered ALL yet only appeared to cover one specific style.

So all based on Army, got it.

You first post implied that ALL "snipers" use the same systems with the same ammo and the same range. This is just not true. That is why I asked what "snipers". I also didnt know only "trained snipers" shoot 800m +.

My background is I held an airsoft one time and managed to shoot my foot. Real guns are too scary now.

Didn't mean to offend you with a question of what "snipers" since it appeared that your info covered ALL yet only appeared to cover one specific style.

OK,
Sorry, that was not the info that I was trying to convey.
Also, sorry, it appears that we got our collective wires crossed there...... no offence taken..... hopefully none given as that was not my intention. I would really rather not make an enemy here ----- or anywhere in the firearms community for that matter.

-Troy-

Interesting stuff going on in here! I remember being layed out prone on the 1k meter line in Ft Benning, nuzzeled up behind an M-24 wondering why I had to make shots at a distance that the weapon "wasn't capable of." Much to my surprise I discovered that if I did my part, it was infact capable of 1000 meter shots all day long (I'd say "and all night" but the PVS-10 is/was kind of a POS).

I think a large portion of what created the 800m stat has to do with what could be expected with the issued 10x optic from the average guy with a B4 (Sniper qualified) identifier. I've also been told by a very reputable source who instructed down at the school house, that the 800m stat was developed as a "bottom line" number, derived from what could be expected if in a pinch the weapon had to be ran off M80 ball. Kind of a "prepare for the worst, but hope for the best" kind fo thing."

I know we had EBR M-14s over-seas and rack grade M-14s with Leupold M3As before that and they were more than capable! Not quite as much as the M-24 but still a damn fine weapon.

It was my experience that the M-14 liked the older 168 gr BTHP rds the Army used to shoot before moving to the 175gr M118LR stuff though.

Either way, congrats on the new rifle!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads